• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

First Flintlock.....suggestions/input?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

16gauge

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I have hunted deer with a CVA Hawken (caplock) for about 15 years now. I also have an 1858 Remington .44 cal cap-n-ball revolver that I like to shoot. In addition to shooting them, I like hunting with primative arms.
However, I am primarily a wingshooter(waterfowl & uplands), and I am thinking that I would like my next gun to be a smoothbore. I would also like it to be a flintlock. I hunt for rabbit, grouse, pheasant, deer, and ducks. I would also like a flinter that had some "historical significance" to appeal to the history buff in me.
I see that Cabela's has their Trade muskets on sale....these are 20 bore (.60 cal) and seem to be everything I am looking for. What do you think of this arm for my intended purposes? Would it be rugged enough for field work? I realize that this is not a "waterfowl" arm per se, but I would probably only use it (for ducks) on small ponds for wood ducks, or on opening day when the ducks are still stupid. I load my own bismuth shotshells, so this is the nontoxic shot I would use in my muzzleloader.
Thoughts/opinions?????? Thanks in advance.

I think the same type of gun of much higher quality and more historicaly correct in design can be had from Northstarr West or Caywood for only a little more money and would be a much better deal.

Hunting with the trade musket will be, well, a blast...

It can handle shot for ducks, bunnies and various upland game and still throw a heafty round ball well enough to take deer and bears...

Large smoothbores are a one gun, do all, weapon system, you won't be sorry for choosing a smoothbore...

Have to go with tg on this one. I think you'd be much better off with something from North Star West, Caywood, TVM, Narragansett Armes, etc. than an imported piece. You may have to pay a few dollars more but your investment will be worth more later on and you'll have a gun who's maker will be known to you.

I was in the same situation you are several months ago. I decided to spend some extra money up front, and end up with the item I REALLY wanted ( plus create an heirloom that will be around for generations and generations and generations and ..... )

Here is what I decided to get:

http://www.avsia.com/tvm/fowler.htm

I was down in Corinth, MS this past July and stopped by Tennessee Valley Muzzleloaders where I met Matt Avance and his wife Toni. We talked about 2 hours about the options I had for the fowler he is going to build me - and about flintlocks in general. I would HIGHLY recommend TVM. The only problem is the 9-10 month wait :boohoo: .....

Good luck with your decision !!!!!

Latest posts

Back