• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

First Flintlock Squirrel

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You are now addicted,hive killed a ton of squirrels but not with a flintlock.Gonna finish sighting my 32 in Tuesday,congrats

Let's see, I've killed squirrels with .32, .36, .45, and .58; and it does depend on where you hit 'em - and powder charge. I now only use a .32 or .36 and have recently leaned more toward my .36. Being exclusively a flintlock hunter I agree it's hard to beat a small bore flint rifle in the squirrel woods.

16 gauge... it’s easier too see the sight, since there’s only one!

8689-F527-4-ECB-4-B3-A-893-F-9-E015-E578640.jpg

F39-CF950-582-A-424-A-A2-B8-B1-DF38717666.jpg
now that is some POT MEAT!

Ideal in my book is .25-.36 with a very low charge. For some it’s a Smoothbore. A Smoothbore is second by a nose to me. It’s all a blast.
where would I find a 25 CAL. muzzleloader to shoot tree rats?

when you are pusching 80 yrs, you will fine that a shot gun is the way to go. the eyes rely fail!

I have only see one .25 caliber BP rifle, and it was a Cooper and it was rather expensive. I took an old .22 barrel, cut it off ahead of the breech and drilled and tapped the breach for a breech plug. I then drilled and tapped the barrel for a drum & nipple arrangement. Took and old CVA stock and lock to make my short range tree rat shooter. I use 30 grain Air rifle slugs over 5 grains of 4f to get dime sized groups at 25 yards. I only wish I had made this gun as a flint lock, but the percussion arrangement was a much easier build.

Attachments

• IMG_0634.JPG
    IMG_0634.JPG
    127.8 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_0639.JPG
    IMG_0639.JPG
    152.2 KB · Views: 60
I have only see one .25 caliber BP rifle, and it was a Cooper and it was rather expensive. I took an old .22 barrel, cut it off ahead of the breech and drilled and tapped the breach for a breech plug. I then drilled and tapped the barrel for a drum & nipple arrangement. Took and old CVA stock and lock to make my short range tree rat shooter. I use 30 grain Air rifle slugs over 5 grains of 4f to get dime sized groups at 25 yards. I only wish I had made this gun as a flint lock, but the percussion arrangement was a much easier build.
Now that is an awesome idea. Gonna have to try that after completion of the other gazillion BP projects before it.

You won’t find one on a shelf but any of the custom barrel guys can make em. Cost is comparable to a good factory barrel. I have a .25 and .29 barrel going on a couple guns as we speak. FFI barrels is who makes a lot of my custom stuff but Hoyt or any of the guys can do it.

Last edited:
You won’t find one on a shelf but any of the custom barrel guys can make em. Cost is comparable to a good factory barrel. I have a .25 and .29 barrel going on a couple guns as we speak. FFI barrels is who makes a lot of my custom stuff but Hoyt or any of the guys can do it.
thank you sir for the reply.

Haha. No, actually that was a particularly warm day and I had to skin them and ice them as I went. I like taking pictures of all of them hung out in a string best, but I had to get that meat taken care of. The tails kind of made an interesting picture though, I thought.

Just took my first game with my new to me flint in .40! After watching bob mcbride on the u toobs I decided to take the plunge into BP! I’ve hunted and collected firearms my whole life but this is the most fun shooting I’ve had in a very very long time! Went to the property yesterday and finished sighting it in then took a quick 20 to 30 minute walk through the woods bagging one nice gray squirrel and a rabbit that just came in season two days ago!When I came back to the house my dad and my uncle both said I guess you didn’t shoot any. When I held them up they couldn’t believe it and we’re almost more excited about it than I was. So a big shout out to Bob McBride thanks for pushing me over the edge with your videos I’m hooked on a new facet of shooting!I’m now trying to get my hunting buddies into black powder as well.

Attachments

• 95DF1824-2F17-42B9-9011-B03F654463CF.jpeg
    95DF1824-2F17-42B9-9011-B03F654463CF.jpeg
    236.7 KB · Views: 56
  • 6CA7FD59-07F5-4BCB-90C5-6A492AB6A4FC.jpeg
    6CA7FD59-07F5-4BCB-90C5-6A492AB6A4FC.jpeg
    239 KB · Views: 54
Back