First Flintlock Squirrel

Help Support Muzzle Loading Forum:

Terry Lightle

40 Cal
Reaction score
You are now addicted,hive killed a ton of squirrels but not with a flintlock.Gonna finish sighting my 32 in Tuesday,congrats

hanshi

Cannon
Reaction score
Let's see, I've killed squirrels with .32, .36, .45, and .58; and it does depend on where you hit 'em - and powder charge. I now only use a .32 or .36 and have recently leaned more toward my .36. Being exclusively a flintlock hunter I agree it's hard to beat a small bore flint rifle in the squirrel woods.

Reaction score
I think the 32 kills squirrels all out of proportion to its size, the soft lead 32 hits the squirrels head bones and causes massive damage.
I think its the perfect squirrel gun.

toot

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Ideal in my book is .25-.36 with a very low charge. For some it’s a Smoothbore. A Smoothbore is second by a nose to me. It’s all a blast.
where would I find a 25 CAL. muzzleloader to shoot tree rats?

toot

32 Cal.
Reaction score
when you are pusching 80 yrs, you will fine that a shot gun is the way to go. the eyes rely fail!

Grimord

Fyrstyk
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
I have only see one .25 caliber BP rifle, and it was a Cooper and it was rather expensive. I took an old .22 barrel, cut it off ahead of the breech and drilled and tapped the breach for a breech plug. I then drilled and tapped the barrel for a drum & nipple arrangement. Took and old CVA stock and lock to make my short range tree rat shooter. I use 30 grain Air rifle slugs over 5 grains of 4f to get dime sized groups at 25 yards. I only wish I had made this gun as a flint lock, but the percussion arrangement was a much easier build.

Attachments

Hermit Tim

40 Cal
Reaction score
I have only see one .25 caliber BP rifle, and it was a Cooper and it was rather expensive. I took an old .22 barrel, cut it off ahead of the breech and drilled and tapped the breach for a breech plug. I then drilled and tapped the barrel for a drum & nipple arrangement. Took and old CVA stock and lock to make my short range tree rat shooter. I use 30 grain Air rifle slugs over 5 grains of 4f to get dime sized groups at 25 yards. I only wish I had made this gun as a flint lock, but the percussion arrangement was a much easier build.
Now that is an awesome idea. Gonna have to try that after completion of the other gazillion BP projects before it.

Bob McBride

54 Cal.
Reaction score
You won’t find one on a shelf but any of the custom barrel guys can make em. Cost is comparable to a good factory barrel. I have a .25 and .29 barrel going on a couple guns as we speak. FFI barrels is who makes a lot of my custom stuff but Hoyt or any of the guys can do it.

Last edited:

toot

32 Cal.
Reaction score
You won’t find one on a shelf but any of the custom barrel guys can make em. Cost is comparable to a good factory barrel. I have a .25 and .29 barrel going on a couple guns as we speak. FFI barrels is who makes a lot of my custom stuff but Hoyt or any of the guys can do it.
thank you sir for the reply.

.36Rooster

45 Cal.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Haha. No, actually that was a particularly warm day and I had to skin them and ice them as I went. I like taking pictures of all of them hung out in a string best, but I had to get that meat taken care of. The tails kind of made an interesting picture though, I thought.

Latest posts