• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

First Flintlock Squirrel

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I love small bore rifles myself, but age , dexterity and older eyes have swayed my thinking.
Besides, I can’t ever remember killing a running squirrel but once with a rifle......

And that was by pure accident!

I use a .32
Love it. Hunting squirrel is so much fun and relaxing to me.
Though, I tend to only take head shots.
Mostly because that was the first shot I took with the .32 and we could not even find parts to his head. It just vaporized it.
Did the same thing with the next shot, which was on a rabbit.
Is my load to hot?

Mostly because that was the first shot I took with the .32 and we could not even find parts to his head. It just vaporized it.

.45 acts like a giant paper punch, just makes a big hole or notch where you hit them. You really have to hit the head square to make it completely disappear. It doesn't do a lot of collateral damage like some guns can.

Congrats on your squirrel........I use my .45 flinter and it takes the heads clean off. Hunting with flint is just fun!! Greg

When I first moved to Arkansas, I had just acquired a .32 cal. flintlock and loved it but i had a young family with needs and I sold it. Of course when I wanted to get another one a few years later, they had become non existent. The .32 is I think about perfect for squirrels; very far off the wind drifts the ball horribly, so it's a fairly close range gun well suited to the woods. A .36 carries up with much more power and wind bucking ability, but the .32 is a fine choice. Years ago, there was a story in Muzzle Blasts by Max Vickery entitled 'Shagbark Squirrels' in which he told about his early morning preparations for a squirrel hunt with his longrifle. If you can find it, it's a great read. He described cutting out patches at the kitchen table using a penny for a template. I'd like to read it again, if somebody finds a copy, please share it.

This year will be my first hunting squirrels with a smokepole. I picked up a Pedersoli Frontier earlier this year in .36. cant wait to get out in the woods.

I’m building a .40 cal for squirrel and target shooting. I’ve never hunted squirrel, hunted about everything else but not squirrel.
B8434177-9E44-4926-A2B2-6E4072DAE4A7.jpeg

Also, I’ve seen some gooooood recipes for squirrel on this forum. Hopefully, I’ll need a good recipe. The woods close by are full of squirrel.

I’m taking my 58 cal trade gun for squirrels this year But I’ll be using shot which makes it a 24 ga. One nice thing about squirrel hunting is you usually get shooting.

Float hunting from a jon boat's fun in the summer here. Enjoyed it 50 years ago with my M/L friends. No ticks, no chiggers, no stinging nettles and big ol fox squirrels like to snooze on branches or fool around on the banks. One bud used a flint fowler which was a great choice. Billy and I had no flinters at that time. They're both dead now but I'd sure like to do that again.

My favorite, squirrel hunting. You can float down the river, sneak through the woods or fall asleep under a big old oak tree and wake up and there they are. It's all good.

And, as some have related earlier, that .32 kills out of all proportion to it's size. Hit them in the head and the .32 lead ball acts like it is a hollowpoint. It always amazed me.

I learned really quickly that if I wanted to head shoot squirrels consistently that I had to practice a lot. I limit range to 30 yards and use small targets. Used everything from tennis balls down to ping pong balls. Suspend 2 or three with heavy fishing line from an old heavy metal realtor sign I found makes for a fun target.

Back