• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

First Flintlock....quite an opportunity.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I hunted with a bow for 35 years. Due to an injury, I got a handicap permit to use a crossbow. It was either that or no hunting during the archery season. Been hunting with the crossbow for the last 9 years now. I don't consider myself a lazy ass sportsman in the least. I love deer hunting and will use whatever legal implement allowed.
As hunters, we should support one another no matter what tool they use. Lord knows that hunter numbers decline every year.
You probably don't care what I think and it's all good.
Hope you get to shoot a deer with your new rig.
Deermanok,
Well said. I love the mans gun but he holds strong opinions.
John

I’d like to hear more about asphaltum finish. Is that a tar like application? I also take a small exception to the crossbow hunting reference. When I first started hunting I started with a crossbow, then went to long bow, now nearly 30 years later, my shoulder is nearly wore out, this year may be the last with a long bow. This year I stuck a fine smaller racked buck ( 7pt). I nearly spooked when I pulled back and let a slight, but noticeable grunt… while practicing this spring and summer I noticed my shoulder was aching after about 20 arrows. I’ve been working in the auto manufacturing field for the last 20 yrs… next year I’ll be going back to the crossbow. I’m for sure not lazy and I do feel that the crossbows that I’m used to have the same range limitations as do my long bows…

I’d like to hear more about asphaltum finish. Is that a tar like application? I also take a small exception to the crossbow hunting reference. When I first started hunting I started with a crossbow, then went to long bow, now nearly 30 years later, my shoulder is nearly wore out, this year may be the last with a long bow. This year I stuck a fine smaller racked buck ( 7pt). I nearly spooked when I pulled back and let a slight, but noticeable grunt… while practicing this spring and summer I noticed my shoulder was aching after about 20 arrows. I’ve been working in the auto manufacturing field for the last 20 yrs… next year I’ll be going back to the crossbow. I’m for sure not lazy and I do feel that the crossbows that I’m used to have the same range limitations as do my long bows…
Again, as has been said earlier,,,, their is a big difference between an archer who can not physically shoot a regular bow anymore, and some slob who never hunted with or shot a bow deciding that since crossbows are now legal even if not disabled,,, now it's time to go screw up the archery hunting season for people who put the work in.

How heavy a longbow are you shooting now? Could you just go lighter?
Not saying you shouldn't go to the crossbow (please wear eye protection), just thinking out loud.

Again, as has been said earlier,,,, their is a big difference between an archer who can not physically shoot a regular bow anymore, and some slob who never hunted with or shot a bow deciding that since crossbows are now legal even if not disabled,,, now it's time to go screw up the archery hunting season for people who put the work in.

How heavy a longbow are you shooting now? Could you just go lighter?
Not saying you shouldn't go to the crossbow (please wear eye protection), just thinking out loud.
It’s not really an issue of “the people who put the work in”.. anyone can shoot a deer, wether it’s with a long bow, muzzloader, shotgun or streight wall cartridge rifle… which is the newest deer hunting law in Ohio. The REAL work around my area is… putting in the time and effort to scout, learning the anatomy of the animal, and finally ( not limited to) setting up a location for a tree stand/blind or a nice ambush location. I hunt with a modern compound bow. I’ve got it adjusted low as it will go. I take advantage of all the opportunities that Ohio’s law provides for me, as a hunter. During bow season I use a bow, shotgun and muzzloader season I use a black powder rifle. I’m not a purest.. and just enjoy meat in the freezer. So next season I’ll embrace the cross bow and not worry too much. I’ll keep my bow and hope I can someday go back to it.. but I’m doubtful.

Rifle is finished.

Attachments

• LR1.JPG
    LR1.JPG
    102.2 KB · Views: 104
  • LR2.JPG
    LR2.JPG
    81.1 KB · Views: 107
  • LR3.JPG
    LR3.JPG
    63.1 KB · Views: 112
  • LR4.JPG
    LR4.JPG
    59.6 KB · Views: 97
  • LR5.JPG
    LR5.JPG
    60.8 KB · Views: 88
  • LR6.JPG
    LR6.JPG
    71 KB · Views: 101
  • LR7.JPG
    LR7.JPG
    78.6 KB · Views: 99
  • LR8.JPG
    LR8.JPG
    61.8 KB · Views: 106
  • LR10.JPG
    LR10.JPG
    50.6 KB · Views: 87
  • LR12.JPG
    LR12.JPG
    85.2 KB · Views: 85
I hunted with a bow for 35 years. Due to an injury, I got a handicap permit to use a crossbow. It was either that or no hunting during the archery season. Been hunting with the crossbow for the last 9 years now. I don't consider myself a lazy ass sportsman in the least. I love deer hunting and will use whatever legal implement allowed.
As hunters, we should support one another no matter what tool they use. Lord knows that hunter numbers decline every year.
You probably don't care what I think and it's all good.
Hope you get to shoot a deer with your new rig.
I had an injury and had to use a crossbow for a couple a years and took some deer in a wonderful ethical manner and ethically consumed on the grill and the smoker. LOL..

Well....I'm getting up there in years....and wanted to extend my hunting opportunities. Can't draw a compound bow any more, and absolutely refuse to shoot a crossbow. My retirement "job" is part time at a large family outdoor store that specializes in archery, has a nice firearms dept. (where I work) and has taught me that crossbows are fine for the handicapped....but not so great for anything or anyone else that cares bout hunting. Have had exposure to traditional (read "Flintlock" here in PA) muzzleloading through new co-workers and customers....and decided I might explore it. As it turned out a customer is quite an accomplished builder of Long Rifles and had started a project for someone that fell through. It's part Kibler Kit, a Chambers lock, a piece of ridiculous wood harvested from a maple that went down in a hurricane in his dad's yard in 2003, and a lot of hand work we discussed to make it unique. The finish is one he hadn't tried on a completed rifle yet, that some of his mentors had used in the past. He asked if I would consider being a Guinea Pig....I did a little research, and jumped at the opportunity to have a gun completed by him and customized within my budget. Sorry for the long-winded intro....just excited about the firearm....so here are some pics to date. The gun is about a week away from completion at this point.
That is gonna be a mighty fine rifle sir, congrats, and welcome to the forum!

Deermanok,
Well said. I love the mans gun but he holds strong opinions.
John
Yea, his words are a little out there. I'm "handicapped" [paraplegic] and found it out of place here on our beloved forum. However, I applauded his beautiful gun and welcomed him to the forum. I have learned to go with the flow, so to speak, because I love my life and very happy living it.

Yea, his words are a little out there. I'm "handicapped" [paraplegic] and found it out of place here on our beloved forum. However, I applauded his beautiful gun and welcomed him to the forum. I have learned to go with the flow, so to speak, because I love my life and very happy living it.

Thanks everyone for the kind words.....but isn't it amazing how so many missed that I sad crossbows were fine for handicapped persons.

Long bow hunters said the same thing about compound bow hunters. Color it any way you want, it is short sighted of you.

There are a lot of people like you, though. Side lock hunters think inline hunters are not sporting enough, too.

Hunters are hunters, though, and we all better hang together or we'll all hang alone. We don't have room to discriminate against each other.

Back