• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

First Flintlock....quite an opportunity.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Anyone that compares a crossbow to a compound is ignorant about the use of one of them...or both. I'm OK with crossbows....in gun season. I do not want to limit hunters at all. I guess when I think about it...as I see people buying rifles the day before the season opens....having them bore sited....and walking into the woods the next day without firing a shot.....it's not really the weapon that concerns me. It's just that when you take that category of "hunter" and put a crossbow in their hands the "issues" reveal themselves more frequently, in the form of blown up bows etc... . So.....yeah...it's not a tool thing ...it's a "ignorant user" thing. The fact that we need all the support we can get is a shame...but true.

I'm sorry. Call it elitist or whatever you want, but, no, not all "hunters" are the same. Not all that enter the woods or fields with a hunting implementat, be it trad. bow, compound bow, rifle, shotgun, muzzleloader, or crossbow, are hunters. That person who buys a gun and has it boresighted the day before the season, never shoots it, never scouts,,,, is not a hunter. That guy who buys a crossbow because it's easy and was never an archer before, is not a biwhunter. By making things too easy we get the same problems in the woods that we see everywhere else with things being too easy. A lack of respect and appreciation. I've never known a traditional bowhunter or traditional muzzleloading hunter to be a litter bug. Inline hunters and crossbow hunters just taking advantage of another season and not bothering to learn their craft,,,,, that's another story.

Again, it is very important that I point out that I do not apply this to that guy who can't pull a compound or traditional bow anymore.

There is another aspect to crossbows which you are forgetting and I have no problem with; that is there are alot more younger hunters and Female hunters who are not disabled in any manner but are simply just not strong enough to draw a regular bow, be it recurve, longbow or compound. I totally agree that everyone should practice. Not all hunters are the same and that is a fact, some are far better than others and we should do a better job of policing our own without all the nefarious name calling or finger pointing. Actions will always speak louder than words. Be safe out there gentlemen.
Have a Merry Christmas y'all.
George.

My transition to flintlocks was in part because my bow hunting opportunities made keeping a stock of deer meat in the freezer very iffy. I only shoot osage bows that I make, a guy gave me a string gun but I haven't used it, I would rather wait for the Alabama early M/L season.

I couldn't hunt for the last 3 years because of injuries and botched surgeries but have come back to my fighting shape recently through a lot of hard work and gym time. It is unlikely I will bow hunt at age 74, I have lost my desire and prefer a quicker kill and less tracking, my flintlocks and occasional percussion guns fill the bill nicely for this .

I don't cast aspersions on folk that choose to use different equipment than I do, as long as they are honest ethnical hunters I am all for whatever they choose to use.

Last edited:
Yea, his words are a little out there. I'm "handicapped" [paraplegic] and found it out of place here on our beloved forum. However, I applauded his beautiful gun and welcomed him to the forum. I have learned to go with the flow, so to speak, because I love my life and very happy living it.
BUD my hat is off for you, I am ex-collage football player with 4ops. on back and try to feel sorry for myself because i cant hunt like i use to, then I hear your story, i dont really have problems. Best to you BUD.

Latest posts

Back