• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

First flintlock pheasant

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jrmflintlock

45 Cal.
Reaction score
upload_2019-11-16_19-49-33.jpeg
My father in law knows a local rancher who releases pheasants for hunting and allowed me to go out and hunt the leftover birds after the clients had a go. I took my German Shorthair Harley and she found one for me! It was great fun! I had never hunted pheasants with my flintlock Fowler so I took full advantage and dressed the part for a few hours! I was the only guy for miles and had a blast!!

Awesome. Looks like a great time. Also, very pretty dog.

Nicely done. Looks like a great day out in the field. Good looking gun and dog!

Brings back memories walking up and shooting over pointers for pheasant and partridge, at my age now they are driven to me
Feltwad

View attachment 18650 My father in law knows a local rancher who releases pheasants for hunting and allowed me to go out and hunt the leftover birds after the clients had a go. I took my German Shorthair Harley and she found one for me! It was great fun! I had never hunted pheasants with my flintlock Fowler so I took full advantage and dressed the part for a few hours! I was the only guy for miles and had a blast!!
Would you mind telling me a little bit about your fowler? The barrel appears to be a bit shorter than some I've seen. Looks like a nice handy weapon.

Would you mind telling me a little bit about your fowler? The barrel appears to be a bit shorter than some I've seen. Looks like a nice handy weapon.

Thanks for the kind words!!

I built it to be able to fit in a hard case for airline travel. It’s a Greg Christian custom barrel .62 cal 35”
Over all length of the piece is 51 inches. It is super light and handy. Shoots one ragged hole 3 shot groups when I do my part with 70 grains of FFg at 40 yards off the bench with a .600 ball.
She has a terrific pattern with 70 grains FFg, a lubed felt wad, 90 grains vol of #6 in a paper cup, heavy card topped with a sloppy wet fiber wad.
I shot this bird with just a simple square load. 70 grains FFg, a felt wad, 70grains #6 shot and a felt wad. Bird folded beautifully!!

So far she has harvested a turkey and this pheasant. I can’t wait to use her more!

I am truly in love with this one! She is my best one to date!

Thanks for the reply. Good to hear that she shoots so well. I have been enamored with the thought of obtaining a smoothbore fowler for hunting deer, turkey and squirrel but do not really care for the long barrels seen on some pieces. I have always thought that if I obtain one, I would like for the barrel to be no more than 38 inches long. Good to see that someone is using a shorter barreled with good success.

Is that a rear sight I see on there?

It is. It really helps. I don’t do Rendezvous anymore so the “rules” don’t apply.

That barrel balances beautifully! The profile Greg makes is perfect. It not just a lopped off 42 inch barrel which my previous Fowler had.

I wanted to make it 28 gauge but most states don’t allow smaller than 20 for turkey hunting. But I’m really liking what I have!

Back