• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

First flintlock kill

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Where does fair chase come in when killing bucks or does when they are in their beds ? My cousin did that many years ago. So proud of himself that he killed a deer.
intending no offense to the OP

Where does fair chase come in when killing bucks or does when they are in their beds ?

I don't personally see an issue with it. If it's offensive to someone else, then they can choose not to do it. This falls along the same lines as whether every bird must be shot on the wing or not. I think that in some circumstances, the weapon you use can make a difference. For instance, if a guy with a self-bow shot a grouse off a limb or on the ground, that may be different than if an experienced bird guy with a modern shotgun did it. Equipment limitations placed on oneself may make room for some "give" on other aspects of an ethical hunt.

My Dad (not a "traditional" hunter at all) once waited to shoot at a buck he stalked up on because it was in the process of breeding a doe and he thought it unethical to shoot a buck in that situation. As soon as it dismounted, he shot it.

The B&C club notes that much of this concept is regional and individual in nature. Some think chasing deer with dogs is not ethical, but it's a traditional way to hunt in others. Some think baiting bear is unethical and it's illegal in some places, but it's legal and common in other areas. Frankly, I think the rather new practice of shooting animals from 1200 yards away with gear better defined as military sniper equipment pushes the boundary of ethical since the animal has almost zero chance of detecting and eluding the hunter. Others look at it as the challenge of making the shot. While there are some hard and fast ethics rules that define fair chase....like no high fences or cages, etc. there is also area left for the individual to personally decide, if it's within the law.

https://www.boone-crockett.org/bc-position-statement-fair-chase

I traded off a bolt action unmentionable for a single shot many years ago to add an element of "fairness" to the hunt. It was not a judgement on others, just something I wanted to do. Since then front stuffers took it to another level. If I stalked a bedded nice buck while armed with flintlock I would probably take the shot if presented with a opportunity. Others can choose to do what they want as long as it is legal.

I've only killed one buck bedded down. I was in a low tree stand and the woods around me was thick with deer; reminded me of a flock of birds on the ground. The buck was trotting then suddenly just dropped into the bedded position. I'd always figured they'd choose a bed with a bit more care. Plus I'd never seen an unshot deer drop that fast. I had my rifle ready and fired. It struck me as a little funny the way he rolled over when the bullet hit. He got up slowly and walked off. At the shot the deer erupted like a covey of quail; so many that I can't believe I never saw most of them. I climbed down and followed in the direction he'd gone. Then a little later I happened to see a buck just standing there not very far away but with other deer milling around. I couldn't be sure it was the same one so I thought about it for several moments and fired again. I expected it to drop at the shot if it was indeed the same one. But it didn't drop, it just fast trotted off. The area, like most of Georgia, is jungle thick and shots are generally quite close. Again there was an eruption of deer and I feared I'd shot a different one and not the original buck. I slowly crept in it's direction hoping to see where it had gone. At last I came upon the buck finally DRT. There were thankfully two hits visible.

The total distance both of us traveled was less that 100 yards. He moved slow but I moved much slower still. It was so thick in the area that after several yards from the shooting location it was very difficult to see much past 15 yards or so. That was one of my weirder hunts in the Deep South.

Hey Rodd:
Beauty of a deer, GREAT shot. Nice to get a "Freebie"
every now and again. ;):ThankYou:
I can't eat meat any longer, BUT...that's some fantastic Jerky layin' there! Again. well done buddy.
Talk to you later.
God bless:
Two Feathers

Back