First flintlock kill

Help Support Muzzle Loading Forum:

Rodd Boyer

40 Cal
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
I went out yesterday afternoon and managed to walk up on this buck sleeping/napping in the shade of a picked beanfield. At first I thought maybe someone had shot him and he came onto our property and died as I could tell that his head was on the ground. His legs, however, were up under him...
As I pondered what to do next ( he was quite a ways out as far as I could tell). He lifted his head and looked to his right. He was facing directly away from me so all I had was a spine shot or neck. I decided after about 5 minutes to take the shot. At the shot, he sprang straight out and layed still! I thought WOW!,not exactly what I thought would happen! He got himself together and tried to get to cover, but shot through the spine, he couldn't go very good.... I quickly reloaded and sent another round ball through his lungs.Screenshot_20201117-045147_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20201117-045140_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20201117-045132_Gallery.jpg
.45 flintlock
.017 blue stripe ticking
.440 round ball
50gr Swiss fffg

Walkingeagle

50 Cal.
Reaction score
Not often you see that! Well done.
Once my son and I came upon a sleeping bull moose, which I took at 15 yards as he shifted his head. That’s the only time I’ve ever come up on anything sleeping that I recall at the moment.
Again sir, very well done!
Walk

Spikebuck

69 Cal.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
What a hunt! Congrats on a great shot and an exceptional buck. To "sneak" up on one...or to find one dozing and seize the opportunity...is unusual for a buck like that. And for your first flintlock deer! You just never know what might happen when you're out. :thumb:

Britsmoothy

70 Cal.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
I like how you kept your cool and got a good reload and a good second shot in there.
And kudos on the choice of cal and charge weight in this more is better world 👍

Rodd Boyer

40 Cal
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Great shot, great buck! How far was your shot? Congrats!
It was probably close to 80 yards. I had shot in a competition over labor day out to 90+ yards, so I knew I could connect at that distance. I deliberated on the shot for what seemed an eternity.

Thanks guys, it was truly a blessing!
Good luck, shoot straight and God bless!
Rodd

hanshi

Cannon
Reaction score
Congratulations on an honest trophy buck, and with a flintlock no less! That was an amazing shot and with my favorite caliber, too.

smo

70 Cal.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Congrats ! Good buck

Iron Brigade

36 Cl.
Reaction score
Congrats on harvesting a fine buck with your flinter! On Saturday Wisconsin opening day of gun deer season my son I will attempt to do the same with our flint locks.