• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

First Flintlock Iowa Buck

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I do not see any evidence of any sick deer on our property. I have not found any dead deer either. Yes I know Madison county and Warren County both to the east of us are having problems. Greg

A buck that nice taken with a flintlock is a TROPHY. I'm a .45 fan, too, and that rifle is a very nice one.

Thanks for a the kind words and yes I am pretty happy with both the deer and the rifle. My Virginia rifle actually does look better in person than what the pics show. And yes hanshi I am a fan of the .45 as well. Just love how versatile that caliber can be by use of rb and use of the conical. Seems to handle so many chores very well!! Greg

Congrats on your first flintlock deer!...So rewarding...
Thanks for sharing your happy place.
Would be hard for me not to drop the string on that buck at 10 yards..
You must have some bruisers running around.
Hunt also with a set trigger..with a little more time with yours.... you'll do fine
Enjoy the back straps....Dan

Last edited:
Dan, after 39 years of bowhunting I have been blessed to have taken many many nice bucks and my freezer is never empty so it is easier now to pass on deer and let them grow. As nice as this buck is, I still have regrets for taking him and not letting him grow as I had planned on doing while bowhunting. The urge to take my first buck with a flintlock just got the best of me and he will eat just fine so I’m not losing any sleep over that decision!! I have always used a set trigger to target shoot and hunt with so I’m kinda surprised that I messed up this shot so badly. Make no mistake about it.....my shot stunk and I got lucky with the results! I have never messed up a shot that bad with any of my percussion guns. This has been a few years still learning about my flintlocks and one of these days I will get it right!! Greg

Treestalker, I often use a meat locker nearby that does an outstanding job butchering deer! They make a breakfast sausage that is incredibly good so yes, this deer will be a breakfast of champions!!! Greg :)

Thanks guys!! Yes the little .45 prb can and does get it done nicely.......I surely do appreciate all these kind remarks!! Greg

Back