• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

First Flintlock Iowa Buck

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Critter Getter

45 Cal.
Reaction score
485B34A4-D252-44C0-A5E0-AC57620D3D41.jpeg
I was able to wrap my tag around this Iowa Whitetail Buck using my flintlock. Although I have taken a couple of does with my flinter that last few years this is my first buck. Over the course of 38 years or so I have taken several bucks and does with a number of percussion rifles. Just got the itch for the Flintlock a few years ago. As with most of my deer these days I was able to harvest him on our own property. Makes it all the more special!! Greg

Congrats Critter! Looks like a dandy! Good looking rifle, which caliber is it?

Congratulations Greg on a great flintlock buck!!! He's a dandy.

That smile sums up the satisfaction of taking a trophy like the Ol' Boys did.

Can you tell us a little more about the hunt when you get time?

I used to hunt pheasants in Iowa and can't describe some of the great bucks we would encounter on those hunts. If I were forced to move, it would be to the Hawkeye state! It has a lot going for it.

Thanks for sharing! Skychief.

B185FCDE-43D3-48B9-93DC-218ADA3CFFA5.jpeg
Thanks guys!! The buck was taken with a .45 cal and a rb pushed by 70gr of fff. The shot was 50 yards. I normally hunt from a ladder stand as I muzzleloader hunt just like I do when I bow hunt. In fact I had passed this buck 3 times during the bow season and once was as close as ten yards. I wanted him to grow bigger but when he gave me a chance I took him. Not ever taken a buck with a flintlock was my deciding factor on him. And the fact that tomorrow is the last day of our late season!! I have to admit that even tho I was hunting from the ground and used a tree to steady my rifle I shot to the left and hit him at the base of his neck. Even tho I wasn’t happy with missing my mark he absolutely dropped dead in his tracks.......lights out!! I reloaded but never needed the next shot. He was done before he hit the dirt! I used my set trigger as I almost always do and have to admit that the gun surprised me greatly and wasn’t ready when it went off. Something more to work on for next year!! The gun was assembled by Mike Brooks from a kit I had purchased from Pecatonica. It has a 42” Green Mountain Swamped barrel and I just love the gun!! Greg :)

Greg, congratulations on a beautiful buck...and I'm sure your first of many with a flintlock! :thumb:

Mike Brooks makes exceptional guns. Yours is a dandy. I feel fortunate to have picked up one of his Early Colonial guns stocked in an amazing piece of what I guess would be burled maple. I've probably missed seeing deer because I was sitting there just looking at the wood on the gun!

I just got my Iowa Bowhunter quarterly and it sounds like the current EHD outbreak is pretty close to you....I saw Madison County on the list. You had mentioned that your deer population on the farm is down substantially this year...any evidence of EHD over in your neck of the woods?

Latest posts

Back