• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

First Flintlock Iowa Buck

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Real warrior, I have bowhunted every year since 1980 and have shot bp almost as long. I just started shooting a flintlock a few seasons ago and have taken 2 does and now this buck along with a couple of squirrels. I hunt mostly with a compound bow most of these 39 years and can honestly say that I think hunting with a flintlock is more challenging than my bow! There is a learning curve with these flinters that I have yet to completely master. I shot bows in target competition at the professional level and so far I can say that I am much more accurate with my bow out to 70-80 yards than I am with my flintlocks! But I am absolutely crazy about hunting with my flintlock longrifles and determined as ever to master these smokin beauties!! Greg. :)

Critter Getter: that is truly a buck of a lifetime! I think in my half-century of whitetail hunting, scouting and hiking I have seen maybe one deer that was in the same league as yours. Well done, sir. I compliment you for your patience and persistence. As for your shot, my dad used to say: "Any shot that puts meat on the game pole is a good one!"

Thanks Wry, I appreciate the kind words and I do think he is a nice buck. I have taken quite a few with my bow over a lot of years that are bigger and heavier racked but really enjoy this one as my first with a flintlock. I completely missed a 50 yard shot a few years ago on a true giant and he was the smaller of the two that were standing together!! I know how nice he was as another hunter ended up taking him with a shotgun an hour later! I have taken a boatload of deer over the years with shotguns but just prefer my Muzzleloaders now and especially my flintlocks!! Greg

My hat is off to you, sir! I've been hunting deer for half a century and I bet I haven't seen half a dozen bucks the size of yours. Your skill and accomplishment (especially with a flinter!) is to be admired!

Back