• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

First flintlock deer.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ballshooter

45 Cal.
Reaction score
I have shot many deer in my time even a few, with my .54 caplock but, this is my first roundball flintlock kill. I was so excited like it was a huge buck lol. Anyways it turns out it was a little buton buck. Spent all day in the rain and was headed back to the rig when I jumped him in the brush. He ran I whistled making him stop and look back at me he was roughly 50 yards..Only shot I had was his head..I was confident I could make the shot. Sparks flew and he hit the Dirt!

Load was..
.530 roundball poured by me.
Walmart blue pillow ticking with bear tallow for the lube.
80 grains by volume of my homemade 3F black powder.
Gun my .54 cal GPR flintlock with an L&R lock.

Attachments

• 20211206_154440.jpg
    20211206_154440.jpg
    283.8 KB · Views: 175
Good deal, nice eating deer, sometimes it is not about a kill but what brought you too the kill. Seems like your possibles add too the memories connected with the shot, Not too up set anyone but I am a cross hunter,un-mentionables and flint locks, As I re-load all my own CF ammo it gives me a satisfaction that I shot the animal with ammo I loaded. Our late muzzle loader season is approaching and since I had no luck in the early season I cannot wait too get the .62 in the woods. GOOD HUNTING TOO YOU.

I think this deer has some Albino in him a little white in the rear and sides. I have seen a full Albino buck in this area last year.

I think this deer has some Albino in him a little white in the rear and sides. I have seen a full Albino buck in this area last year.

That's called a "piebald". Those have the white areas mixed with the dark. An "albino" is a mutation and will be pure white with pink eyes. I've seen both on many occasions and a couple of albino doe used to hang around our backyard.

That's called a "piebald". Those have the white areas mixed with the dark. An "albino" is a mutation and will be pure white with pink eyes. I've seen both on many occasions and a couple of albino doe used to hang around our backyard.
Cool info thanks learned something new!

Latest posts

Back