• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

First Flintlock Deer

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Great story and congrats! How far of a shot did you have? That's a beautiful buck and hope more are to come especially with your dad. What I like is everyone came together to help. Those people are TRUE hunters!

Thanks erhunter, The deer walked out of the swap were I could see it about 75 yards to my left and then proceeded to cross broadside directly in front of me. He ended up only being about 30 yards away when I squeezed off the shot. I usually go for the traditional heart shot right behind the front leg but I ended up being a little high and forward. Broke the right shoulder and the ball went through the lung and up into the spine. He dropped in his tracks and was down . I recovered the ball when quartering the deer. Perfectly round on one side and nice and flat on the other.

My Dads 78. Marine vet, retired steamfitter but he still teaches welding for his union. He taught me how to shoot hunt and fish, especially fly fishing. I ended up being an international level shooter but he can still give me a run for my money with a handgun. When we shoot trap I generally break 20 plus but so does he and he only shoots a .410 now. Hes the best hunter i have ever met. Always gets a deer. And fishing forget it. We can be next to each other in the river fishing the same fly and he always gets fish. My daughter is learning from him now. Shes only 9, I started late, but watching the two of them land a trout is amazing. Here’s to Dads and Mentors. May they know that the legacy they teach gets paid forward.

Back