• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

First flintlock advice needed

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don’t know of a single production flinter that I would consider RELIABLE. The cost of a quality Lock and barrel will exceed the cost of most production guns.
There IS a reason for that. I can’t remember the time I’ve had a miss fire, with any of my rifles. If you do your job, they go bang every time.
A Kibler is by far the easiest to assemble. I’ve put them together (minus finish) in 8 hours. Quality lock and barrel. You won’t be disappointed.
If you don’t want to build, you gotta pay the big bucks for a custom build, or possibly a used one for a better price point.
Whatever you decide on........don’t buy a cheap production gun......a sure way to frustration!

As has been said the best bet would be a kit from Kibler or TVM. They are about the easiest quality kits one can buy; and both would be around a grand. A factory Pedersoli (not the least bit authentic) would cost nearly that.

I just received this in my Inbox from Jim Kibler:

We have 40 caliber and 50 caliber kits that can ship within a week.

** No wait for most combinations!!
Southern Mountain Rifle Kit - 40 caliber
Colonial Rifle Kit - 50 caliber

Hm, I just ordered a .54 colonial. The site still says about 2-3 weeks. Damn, my builder said he wouldn't be able to get to it until summer. 😒

If them kits come with either a L&R or Chambers lock, I would concur.
Its first name is flint, but its family name is lock.
Would not change out my Late Ketland for the world & a bucket of locks.

I spent some time chatting with my son about the various recommendations and he does seem pretty committed to the flintlock option. He is 23 years old and a pretty muscular kid and has decent shooting fundamentals, so while my own inclination might be to go with something a little less complex, I also suspect that going with what he seems highly enthusiastic about - and no passing fad, is been talking about this for several years - is probably the best way to go. I'm going to put all this information together and go over with him and then make some decisions about this first rifle as well as looking into seeing if there any muzzleloading clubs in my area (zip code 15642) because there is no doubt that hands-on instruction from someone skilled will make an enormous difference.

Many thanks for all of your guidance and advice and please feel free to add or supplement what you shared.

THX!

GOFG

Latest posts

Back