• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

First Flinter?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Having been a percussion guy for years and just took rabbit hole into darkest flintlock land, here's my take.

Traditions makes a solid basic rifle but it's built to a price point. Functional, yes, match grade, never. Past that I bought a very old Cabela's Hawken kit made by Investarms and paid less that what a Traditions would cost. From the Lymans I've handled, there's little to no difference. The weight, feel, lock, twist are identical to a Lyman GPR flintlock of the same vintage.

So is my antique kit up to a Kibler? Not hardly but I only paid right at $350 for what is in the main, a Lyman GPR. Just shot it today. The first outing I shot two groups, not doing any load development. The purpose was more a function check than anything and to see what I'd like to change. The groups were right at 3.5in at 50yd, not bad for the standard bead front and buckhorn rear and I'm sure that can be tightened up.

Moral of the story, you can find a deal on a decent flintlock. It just takes time. Get antsy and be prepared to shell out.
I just ordered the Traditions Kentucky flinter. I was happy with how the percussion version turned so we’ll see. Not big into ML like some are but like to dabble in a bit of everything.

I though more about why Kibler rifles are so special. Here is an analogy. Kibler is like a Colt Python for fit and finish. Many of the lesser guns are like a Hi-point. Both shoot, both are useful. One is functional art. One is a bare bones tool.

If you check around you can probably find something like a T/C Hawken in flintlock. Its not P/C if that matters to you, but they are well made for a production gun. T/C no longer makes them but I'm sure they are available on the used gun market.
Here is my .50 caliber. Its been a good reliable shooter.
Before I dropped a grand on a quality flintlock kit, I'd try something that costs 1/2 or less as much to start with.
007.jpg

Last edited:
Well, after having owned a percussion hawken for a while I'm wanting to branch out into flintlock long rifles. What should I get? I'd prefer not to spend a crazy amount of money, but definitely don't want to be pulling my hair out at the range. I've been looking at the track of the wolf kits but that seems well above my skill grade. Where can I get pre-made rifles based off of these kits or something similar?

My first flintlock was a Pedersoli Frontier in .45, and I still have it, shoot and enjoy it, and have nothing bad to say about it. Well, I did replace the front sight but that is it. Paid $250 used.

Is it as "good" as some others costing five to twenty times as much? Probably not to someone with deep pockets and a desire to have something a little more authentic. But since the stated goal was for a finished rifle that was relatively inexpensive, I would strongly recommend looking into one. The same rifle also comes labeled as a Blue Ridge Rifle from Cabelas, with a blued barrel vs. brown. I have no complaints about mine, has been just as reliable and quick lock time as any of the more upscale flinters I have since purchased. More accurate than I am, but I am not a great shot with a flintlock. Really like being able to remove the barrel easily for cleaning, not authentic, but certainly a nice feature that does not attract from the appearance. Also I was able to purchase a percussion lock (TOW), drum and nipple to convert it to percussion if it strikes my fancy. Just remove the vent liner, screw in the drum, swap locks and in two minutes you got a percussion gun. Switching back just as fast and easy. Another plus is that I don't mind dragging through the woods and beating it up a little bit, something that does concern me with a more expensive rifle. Nice reliable starter rifle into the world of flintlocks.

I have only good to say about Jim Kibler. Communication was easy and their responses were helpful. Lorie was quick to respond and enjoyable to talk with. And my SMR arrived today!!!!
I made a call to Kimber yesterday I have 2 numbers. The first went to voicemail. So I tried the other. After a few rings I hung up; figuring they are tiedup. Don’t you know about 5 minutes past and my phone lights up KIMBLER FLINTLOCKS! It was the man himself Jim Kimbler! He said he saw he had a missed call from this number! Who is better than that!!! People fail to realize they are a small operation and best I can see doing everything and then some to keep customers happy. I can’t imagine the number of calls they get from people! Imagine the emails! At some point they have to work and in all fairness to them they are selling beautiful product at a very reasonable price. If they didn’t get back to me I’d call them again I would not wait a month obviously it wasn’t so important! The guy offers all kinds of advice he probably shouldn’t because it takes time and with the general supply line issues affecting everyone they are doing a great job IMO

I though more about why Kibler rifles are so special. Here is an analogy. Kibler is like a Colt Python for fit and finish. Many of the lesser guns are like a Hi-point. Both shoot, both are useful. One is functional art. One is a bare bones tool.
You think a deer is gonna know the difference which one he was shot with? I think not.

Latest posts

Back