• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

First flint deer+Larger replacment lock?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Those are pretty impressive deer! On the locks, I guess my question is are you comfortable with inletting a new lock yourself? If so I would try to find someone or a copy of Track of the Wolf's last catalog. It had full size pictures of the locks they carried. I trace them out and then put the tracing over the lock mortise. It gives me a good of idea of sizing - proportions - fit, as well as how much wood has to be removed. If you don't do it yourself, then you need to decide if you want to invest $170 - $220 for a new lock and maybe +/- $50? to have it inlet. Hope this helps, Bill

When replacing a lock, be sure to match up the relationship of the trigger lever to the sear and the pan to the touch hole location. Printing out the full sized pictures of the locks as they are available in the Track of the Wolf's online catalog will help to see the relationship from the sear lever to the pan.

Use of a larger flint offset in the jaws of the hammer and a deep notch in the flint leather might be a first trial. The offset flint away from the barrel should not hit the pan. At least it doesn't on my flintlocks.

Last edited:
What about the flint hitting the edge of the pan though? Won't it wear them down and break them faster?

If it were me, I'd take it to the bench grinder, and dog ear it so that corner has clearance. I figure it is worth a shot, much easer to do that than replace a lock with something that was never meant for that rifle.

My largest flint lock uses a very large flint compared with even, say, large Siler. My idea is to have and use the size flint best for that particular lock.

Good looking buck, congrats!

I'd second the notion of going all in and getting a Kibler rifle. It uses a 7/8x1 flint and I have yet to experience a misfire, hangfire or any other issue with mine. They're great rifles.

Back