• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

First experience with a Lyman mold

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grizzly Adams

50 Cal.
Reaction score
Finally tried out my NOS Lyman mold I purchased cheap at a gun show. It is a .530". I used a set of Lee handles and heated the lead with a torch in a ladle, held with a small stand. Once the mold warmed up, I was very pleased with the performance. Prior to the use of this mold, the only other brand I have used was Lee. A couple observations I can make is that:

The Lyman mold was harder to fill with a ladle left handed due to the position of the sprue cutter.

The lyman sprue cutter was easier to actuate than the Lee cutter.

The lead took longer to solidify with the Lyman mold than with the Lee.

The Lyman mold left a slightly more pronounced sprue.

The Lyman mold tended to fill more easily and smoothly.

All told, the Lyman mold feels like it is a higher quality unit than the Lee, though the product exhibited a negligible disparity.

I think you need to get properly set up to pour safely and then do testing.

I am left handed and turn my Lyman molds around in the handles so the sprue plate opens back toward you instead of out. That puts the plate screw on the other side.

Mountain Dewd said:
Likely so. A bottom pour melting pot is on the list of things to get.

Your experience indicates mold and/or lead not hot enough.
If you are determined to have a bottom pour pot, get a Lyman. The Lee, in my experience, is not as well designed and is akward to use. And, they drip. DAMHIK :shocked2: :wink: A dip pot and Lyman dipper work just fine and is almost as fast to use as a bottom pour. Besides, wats yer hurry? :hmm:

Rifleman1776 said:
Mountain Dewd said:
The Lee, in my experience, is not as well designed and is akward to use. And, they drip.

Rifleman...my experience with my Lee bottom pour as well. I still use it because I don't want to buy another pot, but leave the bottom pour alone and just use a Lyman dipper.

Rifleman1776 said:
Mountain Dewd said:

Your experience indicates mold and/or lead not hot enough.
If you are determined to have a bottom pour pot, get a Lyman. The Lee, in my experience, is not as well designed and is akward to use. And, they drip. DAMHIK :shocked2: :wink: A dip pot and Lyman dipper work just fine and is almost as fast to use as a bottom pour. Besides, wats yer hurry? :hmm:

The only issue I have is the lever for the sprue cutter interferes with my ladle. After a while, I was able to pour just fine and the balls turned out smooth and shiny.

Latest posts

Back