• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

First evening hunt of the season

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stykbow

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Paddled the canoe 45 minutes for an evening hunt at the same place I killed the doe last Saturday. This place is covered with acorns. The turkeys have it torn to pieces too. Already seen about 20 of them since I got here. Old road bed 50 yards in front and a scrape 35 yards behind. Wish me luck!

Well that was a bust. Saw lots of chipmunks, squirrels, and birds. No deer showed, but that’s ok. It was still a great time in the woods and on the water.

Attachments

• C0C91D69-96DE-4B56-B7BF-82795BBE8B1F.jpeg
    C0C91D69-96DE-4B56-B7BF-82795BBE8B1F.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
It's never a bust when you're out in the wilderness.
Very true. That was the fourth hunt in that spot. Saw deer two out of four trips and turkeys every time. It’s eat up with sign. New rubs, old rubs, & scrapes. Lots of food (acorns) and it’s hard enough to get to from land that I don’t have to worry about anyone walking in on me.

Very true. That was the fourth hunt in that spot. Saw deer two out of four trips and turkeys every time. It’s eat up with sign. New rubs, old rubs, & scrapes. Lots of food (acorns) and it’s hard enough to get to from land that I don’t have to worry about anyone walking in on me.
Not worrying about people coming in on you is nice! Hopefully me and my brothers are doing a canoe hunt in January!

I'm a Wisconsin guy but spent many years in the Coast Guard and was stationed all over the United States including 11 years in Alaska. Retiring back to Wisconsin, I have always been disappointed that the muzzleloading deer season here comes directly after the 10 day regular rifle season and the deer are dispersed and extremely wary. I just wish Wisconsin could do a special muzzleoader hunt, perhaps in October before the regular rifle season. Even an early three day hunt between bow and rifle would be welcome in my estimation.

Years ago there was a bowhunting video that was all about canoeing in to areas to get away from the crowds. A Wade Nolan production, if I recall.

Growing up on the Mississippi I trapped Muskrats as a teenager and many of the islands were full of deer sign. But, with all the waterfowl hunters it would be hard to find privacy!

Back