• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

First deer with a smoothbore

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
excellent! She sure looks tasty.
I was able to do the same last year with a self built smoothbore. This year I am carrying it for buck season where ol' kildeer usually gets the nod, this year she is staying on the wall!!

So it's like raw, canned venison?
D.Summers,
Once the cubed meat is heated in the pressure canner at 265F for 90 minutes there isn't anything raw about it. It can be opened anytime and eaten straight out of the jar, or used in a recipe. The toughest buck is tenderized perfectly with this method. Plus, it doesn't need to be frozen. Good for years if kept correctly.

D.Summers,
Once the cubed meat is heated in the pressure canner at 265F for 90 minutes there isn't anything raw about it. It can be opened anytime and eaten straight out of the jar, or used in a recipe. The toughest buck is tenderized perfectly with this method. Plus, it doesn't need to be frozen. Good for years if kept correctly.
Any seasonings added or anything else? Or leave it plain so what it was canned with doesn't effect how it can be used later?

A recipe and technique post in the cooking section would be awesome.....

I've eaten gallons of canned deer and moose meat. Weber has the right idea! It will last for several years. 1/2 tsp salt in the bottom of the jar and stuff the chunked up meat in. We pressure cooked it for 90 minutes at 10 lbs. My wife's grandmother fed a family of 9 for years on canned moose meat that she jarred up by oven canning. Heat it up in it's own gravy, pour it over some mashed spuds and you have a quick and delicious meal. I really like the way he coaxed that doe into the garage to save all the dragging! Good show and a nice gun!

When I was a kid in high school, I got a huge 10 point with an old beat up 50 cal capper. We were poor and the only freezer we had was at the top of the refrigerator. My mother had me skin out a rear leg and hang it from a beam in the barn. The rest of the deer was canned with the help of my Grandmother. It stayed cold enough that the leg hanging by the wire didn't spoil. About the only red meat we had that winter was from me slicing meat off the leg or the canned meat. I had forgotten about canning meat until this thread. I don't remember how they canned the meat but it felt good to put food on the table. It would have been just as good if the deer had been a doe. You can't eat the antlers.

Back