• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

First deer harvested with a muzzle loader

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gun_painter

32 Cal
Reaction score
20221112_165850.jpg

Got my first deer with a muzzle loader. Haven't hunted in nearly a decade, and finally got on the ball to go this year. Opening day, about 30min before dark, and this guy comes strolling by. .490 round ball and 80gr of swiss, he dropped in his tracks. Gutted him and stashed him, hes too heavy for me to drag by myself so I'm going out in the morning with a friend to bring him home. He was the 4th deer I saw today, I including a little buck that snuck up behind me and got to about 6ft away before he finally winded me.

Branden

View attachment 174873

Got my first deer with a muzzle loader. Haven't hunted in nearly a decade, and finally got on the ball to go this year. Opening day, about 30min before dark, and this guy comes strolling by. .490 round ball and 80gr of swiss, he dropped in his tracks. Gutted him and stashed him, hes too heavy for me to drag by myself so I'm going out in the morning with a friend to bring him home. He was the 4th deer I saw today, I including a little buck that snuck up behind me and got to about 6ft away before he finally winded me.

Branden
Hope the coyotes don’t get him

Update:
I got back Sunday morning early to retrieve him and there wasn't any signs of predators. Nothing even touched the gut pile. Got down to 19 degrees overnight, so he was pretty well frozen solid. I did tie a t-shirt around his antler as a deterrent. Went to the spot where I was sitting and measured where he was, it was 22 yards. The ball didn't pass through, but I didn't find it either, maybe next time.

He's at the processor now getting turned into breakfast sausage, summer sausage, loin steaks and burger. Gonna go back out this week and start hunting for a tasty doe so I can get a bunch of roasts and make some jerky. They weighed him at 163lbs with the hide and head. Trying to drag him I was sure he was over 200. Apprently the biggest they had weighed at the processor was 231lbs. I would like to have seen that brute.

Branden

Back