• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

First communication by canons

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TexiKan

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Every week I proof our weekly newspaper and we have a column entitled "Moments in Time." In that column, there was a date given for the "First communication" and it was done by a series of canons. As I recall, once a canon blast was head, another one fired and this went on until the last one reached its destination, I believe in New York or somewhere thereabouts. I thought it would be an interesting topic for the Forum and decided to wait until the column was printed and I would retrieve the exact dates and information. Seems the column was bumped and I have not been able to find the original information. Does anyone know about this? I wanted to check and see, specifically, what message the canon blast was supposed to have conveyed. I believe this happened in ther 1700's or so. I tried a Google search but was unsuccessful.

TexiKan

Found it!

From the King Features...

"On Oct. 26, 1825, an ingenious method of communication is used to inform New York City that the Erie Canal is completed. Cannons were arranged along the length of the canal, each within hearing distance of the next cannon. As each cannon was fired, it signaled the next. Within 81 minutes, the word was relayed to New York, the fastest communication the world had ever known."

TexiKan

Back