• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

First Build

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I thank you all for the advice. I am tooling up as they say. I'm going to buy a bandsaw soon. I did buy a curly maple plank? board? future stock? from the selling board. I'm waiting on the Kibler but am going to build the next one from scratch. Of all the interesting books I've bought I'm enjoying the 2 CD set and handbook issued from Hershel House.
On big jobs when the boss hired new guys we let them have at it, meaning OK buddy you go and take care of the waste and vents. If you need anything let us know. I mean when we roughed in houses from scratch, which means someone had framed in a house and now it was our turn to get all the pipe work in order. Within 15 minutes we knew if the new guy was a plumber or not. To us it didn't matter much as we knew we all had to eat and earn. If a feller didn't know what to do we took him in and showed him what to do, calmed him down and let it be known that he should just shut up and act like he knew what he was doing. Don't go and talk to the boss because you're going to get fired. Try and fit in and it'll all work out.
Obviously I like BS'ing because I went to far with this set up. Back to Hershel House,, within 3 minutes of viewing the CD I knew this guy was a master craftsmen. In fact you'll know within that time frame that you bought the correct CD. The man goes right to work on CD 1 and doesn't stop. I know it is posthumously, but Thank You Mr. House, what a terrific and helpful video. I'm only 25 minutes into the four disc set but am becoming more and more comfortable with the rifle building process. It's not as scary as it was in the beginning. Like, where do I draw the center line, how do I achieve that 1/4" cast off, where does the wrist begin, etc? It's all here in the CD. I'm aware there is a big transition from knowing to doing, however the fear of even beginning such a project has eased a great deal. I don't want to admit how many things I wanted to do but was scared out of my wits to begin.

I'm still 6 weeks out from getting the Kibler Kit. I'm a week away from receiving the $200 board. I've ordered and am waiting on some Pfeil tools. What is a good place, and type of bandsaw I should be looking at? Thank you in advance for your consideration.

While a band saw is certainly nice to have, and there are a ton of other uses for it around the shop and home, it is not absolutely essential. You CAN get by with a hand held portable jig saw and a longer blade. The only job for it in gun making is for roughing in the blank. That said, in power tools you pretty much get what you pay for. I would consider a 14" / 1 hp size a minimum, and the bigger the table the better.

It's been a while folks. I have received the Kibler Kit about a week ago and am just about ready for the assembly. I've been hanging out elsewhere for some time, but I did remember this post and wanted to finish out here. Thank you. Pics tomorrow.

show me your's and i'll show you mine! I am just starting one myself. I found a stock and barrel in a barn.while not a kit per say, I am going to bring the sweet thing to life!

Attachments

• 20210722_090715_resized.jpg
    20210722_090715_resized.jpg
    360.9 KB · Views: 79
Fellows, please understand I did say it was a magnificent post he laid out, or perhaps terrific was the word. I had figured out he was/is the go to guy. I appreciate your responses, I did not come to make bad friends but good friends. I have blocked Mr. Dave and do not wish to argue, fight, or continue a broken thread. It is my experience on the internet that new guys are sometimes victims of bullies. The intention as I figure is to put me in my place, category, or some chump pile. I've been there and done that. No way I'm sitting in the back of the class. I have an earnest interest in flintlock rifles and choose to stay here. I'm going to learn as much as I can from my betters, however I won't stand for any abuses not earned. Enough of the bologna from me. I do understand sometimes well intentioned words reflect back in different ways to different folk. I'll drop the ignore and see what's what. Thank you all once more.

Good man. Most folks deserve a second chance. There are a lot of good people here.

show me your's and i'll show you mine! I am just starting one myself. I found a stock and barrel in a barn.while not a kit per say, I am going to bring the sweet thing to life!

You are a better man than I. I assembled, with a little work, a Kentucky rifle kit from CVA back in the late 70's, early 80's. It was in a kit form. Looks like you are going to build almost from scratch. My hat is off to you. What is that, a 40"± barrel?

thank you for the kind words, but, let's see just how bad i can screw this thing up first!🙃
there is many a slip between the cup and lip. or so my life long bumbling tells me, or is that my wife? Need to turn on my hearing aids.
it is 38 inches and lite as a feather. i am really looking forward to playing with it. may be my new grouse gun. everything around here would be insulted if i shot them with this little thing!

well i have been a professional transmission builder for 45 years. and an armature gunsmith, i have some unique skills others don't possess. so i bought a jaeger kit from track of the wolf about 8 years ago. i put my special super human skills not many people have into it! after a couple of days alone with it on my gunsmith table, i took a deep breath, boxed it up and sent it straight to a gun builder that had special skills i don't possess! i hope if the gun builders transmission fails he will send it to a transmission man,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
Did transmission work for more then 20 years myself. I learned ALOT of problem solving skills in those years. After that I worked framing houses and building stage sets for another 20 years. I finished my working career as a draftsman for an architect. All of the skills I learned came to bare when I restored my original 1861 Bridesberg from a cut up barn find.
Neil

Did transmission work for more then 20 years myself. I learned ALOT of problem solving skills in those years. After that I worked framing houses and building stage sets for another 20 years. I finished my working career as a draftsman for an architect. All of the skills I learned came to bare when I restored my original 1861 Bridesberg from a cut up barn find.
Neil
were you a builder, R&R man or both?

I thank you all for the advice. I am tooling up as they say. I'm going to buy a bandsaw soon. I did buy a curly maple plank? board? future stock? from the selling board. I'm waiting on the Kibler but am going to build the next one from scratch. Of all the interesting books I've bought I'm enjoying the 2 CD set and handbook issued from Hershel House.
On big jobs when the boss hired new guys we let them have at it, meaning OK buddy you go and take care of the waste and vents. If you need anything let us know. I mean when we roughed in houses from scratch, which means someone had framed in a house and now it was our turn to get all the pipe work in order. Within 15 minutes we knew if the new guy was a plumber or not. To us it didn't matter much as we knew we all had to eat and earn. If a feller didn't know what to do we took him in and showed him what to do, calmed him down and let it be known that he should just shut up and act like he knew what he was doing. Don't go and talk to the boss because you're going to get fired. Try and fit in and it'll all work out.
Obviously I like BS'ing because I went to far with this set up. Back to Hershel House,, within 3 minutes of viewing the CD I knew this guy was a master craftsmen. In fact you'll know within that time frame that you bought the correct CD. The man goes right to work on CD 1 and doesn't stop. I know it is posthumously, but Thank You Mr. House, what a terrific and helpful video. I'm only 25 minutes into the four disc set but am becoming more and more comfortable with the rifle building process. It's not as scary as it was in the beginning. Like, where do I draw the center line, how do I achieve that 1/4" cast off, where does the wrist begin, etc? It's all here in the CD. I'm aware there is a big transition from knowing to doing, however the fear of even beginning such a project has eased a great deal. I don't want to admit how many things I wanted to do but was scared out of my wits to begin.

I'm still 6 weeks out from getting the Kibler Kit. I'm a week away from receiving the $200 board. I've ordered and am waiting on some Pfeil tools. What is a good place, and type of bandsaw I should be looking at? Thank you in advance for your consideration.
Red,
Where did you find the Hershel House dvd. I’m interested.

Thanks, mule

Before you buy a bandsaw may I recommend you watch several videos on set up and blade tracking

I have just been using Craftsman, my first was 30 years ago for my business and the latest was the same model I bought at auction for $20

They did the job but they are noisey and the blade control is poor on the two I have used

If I were making furniture I would get one that was pro grade

3 wheel saws are a poor choice as they usually don't track well

Have to decide. Do you want to have a gun or do you want to build a gun. If you want to Have a gun, go with Kibler. If you want to build a gun, go with Chambers or one of the other kits. Maybe even build from a blank.

I have to disagree with Dave Person. Plumbing experience will help a lot with build a gun. No, you do not do much plumbing work on it. What helps is that you have experience working with tools. If you know how to use tools it will make a big difference even if they are different tools.
I agree. 40 years as a plumber also says you have the skills to work with, cope with, and solve problems as they occur.
Take your time and enjoy the build. many videos on utoob to help also.

well i have been a professional transmission builder for 45 years. and an armature gunsmith, i have some unique skills others don't possess. so i bought a jaeger kit from track of the wolf about 8 years ago. i put my special super human skills not many people have into it! after a couple of days alone with it on my gunsmith table, i took a deep breath, boxed it up and sent it straight to a gun builder that had special skills i don't possess! i hope if the gun builders transmission fails he will send it to a transmission man,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
Me to! Allison, CAT, and some small GM. Loved doing it!

Bandsaw huh? I sold my 14" Delta bandsaw as my workspace is limited. It was very good saw. I do regret selling it now. I bought a 9" Grizzly bandsaw. Surprisingly that little guy will buzz right through a 3" thick piece of red oak with a 4 TPI blade.

I still think you should sell it to me😇

Bandsaw huh? I sold my 14" Delta bandsaw as my workspace is limited. It was very good saw. I do regret selling it now. I bought a 9" Grizzly bandsaw. Surprisingly that little guy will buzz right through a 3" thick piece of red oak with a 4 TPI blade.
Have the proverbial delta table saw, table router, planer, and 14" Craftsman bandsaw. We have quite a bit of cedar, juniper, large scrub oak. Cut the logs in to 3' +/- sections. Built a log jig to run it thru the band saw to square it and then cut thin strips.

Latest posts

Back