• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

First Build

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cool. There was too much back and forth in my decision making. Kibler's site is loaded up with video describing and showing how to build the rifle, as well as the doing the finish. That was the major factor in my decision making. Good stuff for a first time builder. Chambers for my second build.

Good choice on the rifle. Dont forget to get some inletting black and a bottle of his iron nitrate stain or make your own (outside or in a vent hood) with nitric acid and clean steel chips.

Good idea Redmoon, I ordered the kit and will finish up the order with some extras at a later date. The 6-8 week wait allows for some clearer thinking. I bought some files and good chisels and am ready to go.

OK, I'll post some pics of the entire process. So far I dipped my toes in this field and met some terrific and not so terrific folks and ideas. I always thought highly of learned people who shared their ideas with the less knowledgeable among us in a kind and thoughtful way. The harsh and belligerent know-it-alls aren't helping our sport. If you don't know something about a subject because you are ignorant about it and ask a question you should be treated with respect. If you continually prove to be a PITA well then anything goes.

I bought a kit rifle. I have become aware some folks consider this an assemblers project because it's easier than building from a plank. Building from a plank is a much tougher route and I consider it an art form if done right. Saying that, most beginners are not able to do that build. Taking a kit and making a working rifle is a learning experience whereby you will get to know all the parts and how they fit together. Once that's done I'll go on to the next step.

We now begin this first timers experience.

E49D44BE-BD9F-411F-AACF-F14DCF9A7AFF_1_201_a.jpeg

This is the builders greatest tool. This one is 68 years old but still works.

The first piece of equipment that has arrived is:
70CA5F0D-2EA7-4E4A-B174-5FEA84DFD1EC.jpeg

I didn't buy the blue one that most folks have so I'll give this one a shot, and return it if it's not up to snuff. I post more as items arrive.

Cool. There was too much back and forth in my decision making. Kibler's site is loaded up with video describing and showing how to build the rifle, as well as the doing the finish. That was the major factor in my decision making. Good stuff for a first time builder. Chambers for my second build.
Hopefully have a .58 ordered this summer. Good luck!

Red in my opinion you chose the right route on this one. Kit or not at the end of the day, will you be happy with a Kibler that you took from parts and turned into a beautiful rifle? Will you be proud to show your friends? When you load her up the first time and feel that little nervous twinge when you're about to pull the trigger and then when it goes BOOM and hits the target down range will you turn around with a smile on your face? That's really all that matters isn't it? Now a days you'll get 6 different opinions on what color the sky is. You just got to gather the info thats available and make up your own mind on whats the right choice for you.

Thanks Redmoon for your comments. I have a hard shell at this point. As soon as I went to my club's blackpowder meet, which was empty BTW, the couple of fellows I met had already began to tell to go percussion. No big difference of shared opinions, but I said I would go flintlock. Figuring I was set on my decision, they then told me to look up so and so, he's big on Flintlocks. I look forward to the first trigger pull. I look forward to this whole game, from acquiring the goods, building the rifle and then BOOM. Thank you once again.

Thought it might be in order to get some flints now, so I ordered some 7/8ths x1. As a plumber I have left over sheet lead but ordered the leather shim for holding the flint. Now I have a choice between leather or lead. Small stuff for sure, but it all comes into play sooner or later. Pfeil chisels back ordered but will ship June 6th. SomethingVallorde file on the way.

My pup was not feeling well last night and kept me awake all night. He is no longer a pup although I think of him as such, just another term of endearment. Did I tell you guys Jim Kibler's dog died last weekend? That bond we share with dogs is fearsome and challenging. You learn to let loose and love deeply and that means you accept all the emotions that come with it. Hard stuff at times.

Thought it might be in order to get some flints now, so I ordered some 7/8ths x1. As a plumber I have left over sheet lead but ordered the leather shim for holding the flint. Now I have a choice between leather or lead. Small stuff for sure, but it all comes into play sooner or later. Pfeil chisels back ordered but will ship June 6th. SomethingVallorde file on the way.

My pup was not feeling well last night and kept me awake all night. He is no longer a pup although I think of him as such, just another term of endearment. Did I tell you guys Jim Kibler's dog died last weekend? That bond we share with dogs is fearsome and challenging. You learn to let loose and love deeply and that means you accept all the emotions that come with it. Hard stuff at times.
Excellent first choice to build! You will learn a lot and when you open the box for your second build you will smack your palm to your forehead and say, “Wow! I coulda had another Kibler”!!
Good idea to shop flints now, they’re as scarce as everything else these daze...
You’ll want the leather to wrap your flints... thin lead is more suitable for stout massive military locks (Brown Bess etc).
It’s been said the extra weight can break a dainty Siler sized hammer.
I’ve never used lead because I do a lot of leatherwork “ ‘cootermints “ between rifle builds, and have tons of scraps.

Thank you BadDaditood. Got it, took a while to figure your name, cool. What type of leather work? I bought a bag of leather finding one day and they have turned out to be quite useful. I remember as a child the Barbers stropping the razors with an efficiency and rhythm that was mesmerizing. Which type of leather could be used for finishing off a newly sharpened chisel? A strop is what I'm looking for now.

Next up I bought a Porter Cable heat gun, that will come in handy once I begin to finish the stock. I found that on Am uh zon. It's been a while since I posted so a few more books were added to my new collection/
80200887-B0E6-49F3-86FD-E55E1BA32599.jpeg

Add this book as well to the library.
0F331AFF-3488-430C-9B7A-E75FB7042EAB.jpeg

The further I study, read about, research, and or observe all things Long Rifle, the more the subject becomes interesting. Why Pennsylvania? Why would that area become the springboard for these rifles? Several reasons actually. and the subject reminds me of my college days. I went to school because it interested me and not necessarily because I wanted a career. Learning was a favorite pastime of mine. I liken this to college because I went to school to have some burning questions answered for me. The dirty trick turned out to be I had more questions after school than I had before. It's very much akin to building a first rifle. I am assembling my first rifle as many are want to inform but the history lessons are unavoidable. Pennsylvania and it's inhabitants the Moravians have a culture that is a perfect fit for a Nation building expanse. It became the jump off point for expansion west. I'll not get too carried away with myself right now. I have ordered and paid for the Colonial Rifle kit from Kibler. The 6-8 week wait is too much of a stretch to sit idly by. I have powders, ffg and fffg. I bought .018 dry patches- 58 cal Horrnady round balls, and English Flints
FC99FD19-EEDF-40CB-9745-ED3B032AE07B.jpeg
A2F9C8C5-F4A5-4F98-B785-FDB160BB68A1.jpeg

BTW I ordered a curly maple plank from elsewhere. No sense stopping this drive to action and better to keep moving than stop. Hershel House's video on Building the Kentucky Rifle is on it's way. I will keep you up to date.

Hi RedRiver, i'm in the middle of a Kibler Colonial in .50 cal righgt now. When you get going on yours i'd be happy too help if I can with any questions. Have learned a few things working on mine. Just finished browning the barrel and Laurel Mountain Forge barrel brown works great.

Late to the party here, but Red, I am about your age. Not in the Trades, but insurance was my game. So I don't have the tool skills you do.
But I managed to build (assemble) a N/W trade gun from T.O.W. several years ago. Just had it out for the members postal match this month. Its great to shoot something you had a hand in creating.

I bet 11th corps. One of the books I'm reading has stated the wonderful sense of accomplishment in handling a rifle you produced, especially a stock from a plank. But I jump ahead of myself, I have not even begun the Kibler kit.

Jewelrs saw, check!

If you have never built or done any remodeling of a rifle I would suggest getting the Kibler first . Maybe add a little detail or two of your own and see how that works out . Inlays and incised carving maybe , just a little . If everything goes well and you find that you like the work then buy a Chambers for your next project . If you enjoy working on your first one it will not be your last .

Latest posts

Back