• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

First Build

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Red...............did you make your special chisels to inlet circular lines , yet??? If not , get a 1/4 inch , and a 3/8 , or 1/2 inch std. wood chisel. Grind the cutting edge into a circle , and grind the same original wedge shape onto the chisel and sharpen w/ the usual stones. This chisel is walked over curved lines drawn on stock wood . After going over a line a time or two , regular 1/4" or other chisel can begin the inlet with the grain. I've been using these home made chisels for curves since 1976. I have them down to 1/16" , made from tiny screw drivers. The idea for these chisels came from a friend who was apprenticed at Colonial Williamsburg Va. Gun shop. These can be cheaply made from used flea mkt. chisels , and many times are real time savers........................oldwood

Last edited by a moderator:
@oldwood, I have not yet begun any physical work on tools or the rifle yet. I've been reading and studying material. Is it possible to send a picture of one of your chisels? I just reread your post and thought about it. I now understand. You are suggesting I make a spoon shape on the end of a chisel them sharpen back to form, correct?

Oldwood, that's a terrific idea, thank you!

Last edited:
Red..........perfect , when you want to inlet anything on a gun stock , simply mark around the part or carving pattern w/ a sharp pencil. Next ,some guys say to cut the pencil line with a hobby knife. They are better men than me , try as i may ,I can't control a knife for inletting or carving. The walking chisel makes control natural. Wish I had a camera phone , but we have no cell service here. These chisels are easily made. If your grinder has a rest mounted on it , lay the flat underside of the chisel on the rest , pin the end of the chisel with your finger , and turn the handle end in a wide circle to grind the end into a circle , then resharpen top to the original angle. .............oldwood

I think I understand. I believe I have a set of engraving tools I bought some time ago. Time to dig them out. I'll put up some pics tomorrow. Thanks again.

Red..........perfect , when you want to inlet anything on a gun stock , simply mark around the part or carving pattern w/ a sharp pencil. Next ,some guys say to cut the pencil line with a hobby knife. They are better men than me , try as i may ,I can't control a knife for inletting or carving. The walking chisel makes control natural. Wish I had a camera phone , but we have no cell service here. These chisels are easily made. If your grinder has a rest mounted on it , lay the flat underside of the chisel on the rest , pin the end of the chisel with your finger , and turn the handle end in a wide circle to grind the end into a circle , then resharpen top to the original angle. .............oldwood
They are called bull nose chisels I think.
If I recall @rich pierce swears by them.
I have just made a couple and so far so good.
As the name suggests just a chisel with a rounded nose. Made mine by rocking a standard chisel across the stone.

This site has some good stuff to.
http://www.hootalrifleshop.org/

Youre not going to fail unless you think that way. You will make mistakes, we all do. Most mistakes can be rectified. Unless youre attempting to build while wearing boxing gloves, you wont fail. Just take your time and think things through before you act. Review some how to books and videos. Ask someone for advice if you need to. You will be surprised what you can accomplish. Yes building a functional muzzleloader requires some skill , however its not brain surgery.

Thanks fellows. I almost picked up the phone to order but did not do so. I checked my gun club site and they have a BlackPowder club involved. There's a meet/shoot tomorrow at 9am. I am going to attend and make a few friends while volunteering to help in someway. All I have in my kit is Black Powder and some ideas. Perhaps I'll find someone experienced in rifle making. It's only been one week since this thread began and I'll state once more I apologize for not even having a clue on this hobby/life style. I do understand a little bit more. I get the assembler/builder concept. Kibler vs Chambers is still rocking my head, although I get why Kibler would be recommended. The assistance and recommendations offered are greatly appreciated. I do understand a bit of the Fraternity involved and hope to be able to contribute soon. I will leave my cash at home tomorrow, but bring a pocketful of questions.
I live in Florida and anyone recognizing the club activity for tomorrow, I'll be wearing a white carnation in my lapel.

Not a good experience today at my club. I arrived late and there were only two gentleman seated and having a good gab fest. I introduced myself and the long and short of it was with the brutal summer weather approaching there would be very little activity until cooler weather once again arrives. I did get to ask several questions and realized I was holding my guests captive. I did ask permission for one more question which was granted and then we all drove away. I'll summarize the meet tomorrow.

I am going to need help soon because I will not wait until Sept, or Oct to begin my build.

Black powder range at PMRPC was basically empty. Two fellows I talked too were done for the day and after a short while talking they turned out to be percussion cap shooters. They did say there were a couple of flintlock shooters but Percussion caps Rule. So there's a little rivalry amongst their crew, all in good sport and kibitzing. I drove three hours to find an 'Uncle". An 'Uncle' in my parlance is a mentor, guide, or coach among many other terms. Strike one for the me and my first attempt at finding one of my betters. BTW the men tried to dissuade me from a flintlock explain how much less expensive shooting BP if I went to Cabelas or perhaps Bass Pro and buy a setup for $350 or so. One of the men went to his trunk and brought out a nice percussion rifle he obtained for a similar price and it was a nice gun. I did tell the guys I was going to build a flintlock and that idea is a rock solid commitment. I already know my first rifle will not be my last, and knowing that is cool. I've done at least twenty hours, probably more like thirty hours of research in the last eight days. I've identified several contentious areas in this field. The Germanic vs lock types and their period correct placement on certain rifles. Rifle one for me will be the best I can do for now and will be centered on being a working rifle. If I had an Uncle I would follow his advice. All in all it's been fun and rewarding so far. The History background I've discovered was an extra treat regarding the flintlock and its place in America. I'm still stick on the Kibler vs Chambers idea, but regarding the internet access Jim Kibler has offered much more sharing of his line of goods with instructional videos. I respect a guy who puts it out there with such intelligent intent. Plus he seems to be a nice kid. I was leaning toward the Chambers but have now shifted more in Kibler's direction.

Happy Mother's Day folks. You guys lucky enough to be able to spend some time with Mom enjoy your day, and perhaps do the dishes for her.

The key to building a slim looking LR is having a thin web (wood between the barrel channel and ram rod hole). If you are building with a swamped barrel, 1/16" at the breech and 1/8"-5/32"" at the muzzle will get you on the right road. Most pre-carves come with a 1/4" web both fore and aft. That results in a "heavy" looking gun. You wouldn't think that little bit of extra wood would make that much difference, but it does.

Once the barrel is seated you can locate and inlet your lock. If you are going with a. pre-carve with the lock already insetted, and the barrel channel hogged out, then the lock location will set the tone for where the barrel winds uo

Another key aspect that can aid in a slim looking long rifle is to lower the top reveal of the forearm along the barrel and as well as the reveal along the ramrod, this exposes more of the barrel and ramrod which gives the impression of a slim forearm, this is especially helpful if you are working with a pre-carve with less than ideal web.

I decided to use a Kibler Colonial American Kit. I will order it tomorrow morning. Jim's dog has passed on this last weekend and I just hate when we lose a pal like that. I ended the call early because I felt bad about it.

Aye Aye Captain Zutt-man! I just ordered the Jim Chamber Colonial American Rifle for my first build. It is a .58 cal with extra fancy maple stock, and patch box. The money is down and the intent declared. Now the 6-8 week wait and lots of reading and prep time is available. It's much easier to study when your options are decided upon. There's a lot to finishing the stock and adjusting things. I must figure out how to work during a Florida summer in a garage.

I too would like to see a picture of these round nose chisels.

I happen to have an extra 1/4 and 3/8 flat chisel waiting to be rounded.

Aye Aye Captain Zutt-man! I just ordered the Jim Chamber Colonial American Rifle for my first build. It is a .58 cal with extra fancy maple stock, and patch box. The money is down and the intent declared. Now the 6-8 week wait and lots of reading and prep time is available. It's much easier to study when your options are decided upon. There's a lot to finishing the stock and adjusting things. I must figure out how to work during a Florida summer in a garage.
Red,
You couldn't go wrong with either on of those makers. The Chambers kit will be a bit more challenging, but it will also be more of a learning experience for you. You are mechanically minded and good with your hands, so it will turn out fine. Barbie @ Chambers will help you with your questions, as will Jim, but Barbie is nicer....:)

All the best to you in your build and - please - share photos of the progress!

I have my first flinter AND first build coming in the next few weeks so I’ll be sure to post pics as well. It’s a .62 smoothie with extra fancy maple. Get those shop fans ready my friend!

I built mine in the Australian tropics.
I went shorts and shoes (no shirt) and a fan.
I could get a coupla hours or so before needing to stop drink and drip dry.

Back