• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

First Build

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was lucky, I had a good freind who helped me on my first build. I done all the work, but he taught me a lot about different techniques. The correct tools will help out a lot as well. Chisels need to stay scary sharp, just as in plumbing and many other jobs, the correct tool for the job goes along way!

For what it is worth. I am building my first rifle.
It is a Chambers kit.
Yes there are many hours in it and many errors but they are mine as ate the lessons learned.
Take a piece of advice. Look at your books.
Look at @billraby on youtube then do it again.
Look for others. They are there.
Good luck and just take your time

The books have not arrived yet. The itch to get started is now a rash, is that why we sometimes make rash decisions? I am edging closer to the Jim Chambers models in kit form. Drilling exact holes in both metal and wood is a tedious and exacting skill but can be done with care. Fitting parts to shape is also tedious but not scary. Marking and drilling that inlet hole should take time. Fitting metal to wood and shaving the wood to mate well will take time. All in all I'm going to make a decision soon and will let you know which rifle I choose. I don't have my eye glasses on so I hope there aren/t too many mistakes.

Ifin yer set on a Chambers Kit, I'd get off the keyboard and pick up the phone and get yer name on their list. Depending on what model rifle/kit you may wish to build I was advised by them just recently that there is a 2-8 month wait. Due mostly to China Flu influencing wood availability for stocks and some other parts here and there and a nasty storm of some sort that hit the area last year that also affected proper wood availability. Can't say about most of others, although I see on their websites that certain items in kits are out of stock. Kibler in the last few days advised me up to 4-5 weeks.

Then unless you have a good source for lead balls, what ever caliber you may want and you plan to buy a mold to do your own casting (unless also you already have or know where you can readily obtain), start looking now. All of the major online outfits and then some I've checked on are out of stock, even Lee Reloading has on its website 'not available'! In doing as you are doing right now, I'm looking at building a flint rifle. Checking here on this forum, a few others, asking around, and reading. I shoot and cast balls for around a dozen cap and ball revolvers. plus conversions, T/C percussion rifle, all black powder shootin. Not to forget seven calibers of modern handguns (revolver/pistol) and 8 calibers of rifles dating from 1902 plus (bolt, lever, semi-auto) that I shoot and cast for. I've Lee, Lyman, RCBS, and NOE molds. I use mostly Lee round ball molds for blackpowder, have for years and they along with others are about as obtainable as many other reloading components and ammo right now.

In anticipation of doing a build I have been tossing either a 36 or 40 caliber in the quest and looking at molds/ball diameters that could be used. As mentioned have been searching every outfit online for A-Z and all indicate 'Out of Stock' and some indicate 'No Backorder'. This isn't just for the 36/40 calibers, the whole line of calibers. Not just Lee, but all of them, including molds for firearms from the 1700's to present day. Was advised due to manufacturers shutting down due to the Chinese flu shutdowns of material suppliers and plants making. Mold makers are like ammo makers, playing catch-up with demand. Read of a guy buying a much sot after semiauto pistol that was a fairly new caliber in the shooting world. Finally bought the pistol, but now can't find any ammo. What is available is from scalpers and scammers at guns shows and gun broker. I did check Ebay--there are scalpers and scammers there that are selling new Lee roundball molds at $50-75 for some diameters up from the $19-25 normal price. Where they're getting them brings the question of where online primer, brass, etc scammers are getting the thousands of new reloading components they offer for $100 plus over retail. I have pleny to keep me shooting, won't get suckered by them.

OK, I've gotten windy, bad habit I have on the keyboard. FWIW---The only plumbing/fitting I've ever done is the home version and that has its limits. After high school did a stint in college to be a animal vet, but ended up spending 5 years in a packing house, 3 years construction, 21 years as a Police Officer, and 19 as a heavy equipment operator digging, pushing, and hauling dirt. Never had much to say about plumbers and fitters unless they didn't behave themselves or got in the way.

New book arrived today and another a few days back. " The Kentucky Rifle " by Capt. John G.W. Dillin 4th Edition 1924. Today's delivery is " The Gunsmith Of Grenville County " by Peter A. Alexander 2016. These books run just shy of one hundred years separation. I never imagined the depth and admiration of this rifle. It's historical importance was never known to me. The artistry which developed this finely crafted piece of work was born of necessity in defending a young Nation. I do not yet understand the relationship with German gunmakers and the influence on the Kentucky Rifle. I am so glad I had what I thought would be a quick passing fancy turned into a study of guts and glory. I am ignorant of the true history and development of the Kentucky Rifle. It is with awe I continue. It is with respect that I begin an investigation of this subject. I see building and or collecting in this pursuit will not end with one rifle.

I did not ask permission to add these photos here. I'm not sure I even had to but, I did name the authors, and have not used these for any personal gain other than enlightenment.

Attachments

• F9758C68-C884-4527-BB09-1ABEF45FDB03.jpeg
    F9758C68-C884-4527-BB09-1ABEF45FDB03.jpeg
    122.3 KB · Views: 92
  • E1B10BAF-FBF2-41DD-9A8D-ACCD888F93DD.jpeg
    E1B10BAF-FBF2-41DD-9A8D-ACCD888F93DD.jpeg
    90.1 KB · Views: 89
  • E8D9C8DC-0B79-4B50-8BD8-BB8007E3CABD.jpeg
    E8D9C8DC-0B79-4B50-8BD8-BB8007E3CABD.jpeg
    85 KB · Views: 93
  • 0724F330-0EC1-4C30-802B-BD6002FBF613.jpeg
    0724F330-0EC1-4C30-802B-BD6002FBF613.jpeg
    51 KB · Views: 102
  • 9F05C64C-ECF3-4437-9841-BE56F0D80F91_1_201_a.jpeg
    9F05C64C-ECF3-4437-9841-BE56F0D80F91_1_201_a.jpeg
    78.6 KB · Views: 65
  • 18A073B8-C305-4A98-ADE7-351AD864A15F.jpeg
    18A073B8-C305-4A98-ADE7-351AD864A15F.jpeg
    114.1 KB · Views: 102
The most important tool is knowledge (along with desire). Do plenty of research before you do a particular task. Another book that will be very helpful to you is Recreating the American Long Rifle. The Gunsmith of Grenville County covers a lot of things, and the other one covers some other things, like how to make certain tools and jigs for instance.

As far as styles of rifle to build, that's really up to you. But I suggest that you start with one that has straight toe and comb lines, and a relatively simple BP return. The Lehigh and Bucks are great, but they are so nuanced in their features and so different from almost every other style of LR that they are very very difficult to do properly. Instead of getting a rifle with a graceful flow to it most early efforts (even by experienced builders) wind up with something sort of awkward looking.

The most important tool is knowledge (along with desire). Do plenty of research before you do a particular task. Another book that will be very helpful to you is Recreating the American Long Rifle. The Gunsmith of Grenville County covers a lot of things, and the other one covers some other things, like how to make certain tools and jigs for instance.

As far as styles of rifle to build, that's really up to you. But I suggest that you start with one that has straight toe and comb lines, and a relatively simple BP return. The Lehigh and Bucks are great, but they are so nuanced in their features and so different from almost every other style of LR that they are very very difficult to do properly. Instead of getting a rifle with a graceful flow to it most early efforts (even by experienced builders) wind up with something sort of awkward looking.
Not to mention Lehigh/Bucks “Roman nose” can be real cheek slappers if carved without enough cast-off.
Recreating is a great book, written in English. Grenville is good too, but written in Canadian.
If I were starting today I would do a Kibler first, that way you’ll know what a longrifle is supposed to look like, instead of the planky two- piece Traditions I started with which ended up not looking at all like a real longrifle.
(I restocked it last year, replaced everything but the barrel and buttplate. Carved it up and sold it for enough to cover a new set of parts)
So even if you screw up like I did it’s still worth something... eventually.

Recreating the American Longrifle, will teach you the most about building from a blank, but Is also a valuable asset for kit building, as the basics are still the same.
If you plan to continue on in this endeavor, I’d say build a Kibler first. It will give you an easy to build, architecturally correct rifle, and is a great intro to continue on to a Chamber’s kit, and then on to a plank build if you are so inclined.
If you decide you don’t want to make the investment in tools and equipment, you will have 2 correct flintlock rifles to admire and shoot.
Good luck.

When you do buy the kit, do yourself a favor. Dont set a time limit to complete it. You will assuredly find yourself rushing at some point, and that is something you dont want. Work on it when you feel like working on it, and dont when you dont. It becomes a chore when you set time constraints, and or certain amounts of days and hours spent working on it. Just do it when you have the urge. If it takes a year, 2 years, 5 years, so what. Its solely up to you.

My last build, I spent all fall, part of spring, then the next fall to finish the rifle. I took my time on purpose, and only worked on it when I was in the right mindset and health level. Did I still make some mistakes, sure, but a lot less than had I rushed the job.

I have been around BP for about 10 years, but I have never thought of building a rifle. Over the past few months, I have started to get the itch to build a Kibler Colonial. I have most tools I will need, but I don’t have a good set of chisels or files. Can someone with experience point me to some reasonably priced chisels and files that I will need to get the job done. Thanks.

I worked with all commercial construction trades, being a carpenter myself. I will aways remember the fun feuding between the plumbers and the pipe fitters. Naturally both always claimed to be in the best trade and of course the other was trash. 😂

Yup, and don't even want to get started on the electricians..........................................

You know what it takes to replace an electrician........................................

A candle..............🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

As far as building is concerned plumbing is what brought me into contact with both the builder and the engraver from which I learned, the rest was internet. I will say that I am glad to have started on the less than snap-tite kits, I was taught on a "parts-set" which made the transition to blanks so much easier.

Some folks never had to use their "Hands" for work. Their parents would have shrieked in horror that their future Dr., Lawyer, Business exec. would learn ti use their hands. Being future conscious and upward mobility aware they never learned. In my day anyway that's what is was like. None of the kits are snap on, perhaps less involved but certainly not Leggos either.

I came to learn about flintlocks and became aware of a very deep involvement by some folk both historically and craft wise. Then again some folks myself included wanted to see a rock set off an explosion down a tube,

Have to decide. Do you want to have a gun or do you want to build a gun. If you want to Have a gun, go with Kibler. If you want to build a gun, go with Chambers or one of the other kits. Maybe even build from a blank.

I have to disagree with Dave Person. Plumbing experience will help a lot with build a gun. No, you do not do much plumbing work on it. What helps is that you have experience working with tools. If you know how to use tools it will make a big difference even if they are different tools.
I was a house framer for 10 years, an automobile mechanic for another 20 and both skill sets played very heavy in building a good working gun. It's just that, confidence with tools. I got a garage full of tools and I know how to use them all. Sure a gunsmith would smoke me building a gun but the object is to be able to build something you never did before with the tools and skills you already have. I'd like to see a gunsmith take Cadillac Northstar front wheel drive transmission out and put one back in.
Yeah, I can do that!

I have been around BP for about 10 years, but I have never thought of building a rifle. Over the past few months, I have started to get the itch to build a Kibler Colonial. I have most tools I will need, but I don’t have a good set of chisels or files. Can someone with experience point me to some reasonably priced chisels and files that I will need to get the job done. Thanks.

Don't buy reasonably chisels or files. Get Pfeil chisels and Grobet files. They are not reasonably priced at all. Actually rather expensive. Also get a set of expensive sharpening stones. Chisels and files is the something that you do not want to go cheap on. Get the best quality that you possibly can. It really does make a big difference.

Don't buy reasonably chisels or files. Get Pfeil chisels and Grobet files. They are not reasonably priced at all. Actually rather expensive. Also get a set of expensive sharpening stones. Chisels and files is the something that you do not want to go cheap on. Get the best quality that you possibly can. It really does make a big difference.
I hate to say it but you're right. Good chisels and files are a joy to work with especially after you learn how to clean and sharpen them. They make the work easier and your gun better. Nothing worse then skazzing up an expensive piece of wood with a cheap chisel.

OK, I hear what you are saying about purchasing good tools. I have looked at Grobet files and Pfeil chisels. They are pricey but I am considering. To build a Kible kit (or assemble as some have said) which specific chisels and files should I get? Because of the price, I don’t want to purchase chisels and files that I won’t use. Thanks for your advice.

Had I merely jumped in and bought a rifle without regard to the advice I sought it would have been a terrible mistake. I've opened my curiosity and it's been exceedingly supplied with further expanding interests well beyond the manufacture of a rifle. The history alone is enough to fulfill a lifetime of searching for answers.

I expect to screw up my first build. Hopefully less mistakes now that I have asked you for help. I'm not afraid of ruining the first stock, the best way to learn is by failing. Failure is a terrific teacher. I already see a big challenge in shaping the wrist to stock lines. That slender transition is remarkable on some rifles. The fitting of the barrel is key to accuracy in my eyes. I bet it's easy to mess up the lay.

I'm off to get some good chisels and files. I have most other tools as I've been saving tools my whole life just like some others here have stated. I grew up in a house that had a pair of cheap pliers, one hammer, and a pair of screwdrivers. You can't really fix much with those things but it seems that every homeowner has that similar set.

It is a difficult decision between Kibler and Chanmbers, as they both cost about the same so that's not really a decision helper. Chambers locks are used by other manufacturers so they might be superior to Kiblers or may even supply Kibler his locks. I don't know that for sure. The good ship 'Decision' is listing toward Chambers.

I'll decide after a good night's sleep to make a call and commit either way. Maybe I'll call both and get a read on the people behind the company.

Latest posts

Back