• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

First Build

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have some skills gathered from 40 yrs as a plumber. I am considering buying a kit from Jim Chambers or Kibler. Which would you suggest?

I've read one is better than the other in regards to new builders. I guess that isn't so from your response Pete G. I'm looking at Jim Chambers Christians Spring-Edward Marshall. I wanted to build something worthwhile and perhaps was used in our the Revolution.

Kibler has two kits that are easy to assemble and finish for someone who is new to muzzle loading kits. Chamber's offers a lot of models of kits. The parts sets are designed for assemblers who have experience in kit building. Both use quality parts.

Do you want to really build a rifle or just put one together? I really like Kiblers designs but I don't consider them a "build" so will probably never put one together. I enjoy the building aspect and then afterwards the pride associated with it. A chambers "kit" is a real build a Kibler is more of a kit that you put together then finish. Not knocking Kibler at all or anyone who has one I just would rather have the Chambers

Hi,
Forty years as a plumber won't help much. Different skill sets. A Kibler colonial rifle might be your best choice. An Edward Marshall rifle is a challenge. The Chambers kit has the wrong lock but most of the other parts will do. Here is a close copy of the original rifle. Takes some skills and research other than what is easy on the internet to get right.
48BvIrd.jpg

vFonceu.jpg

lU84au4.jpg

GQrM8XL.jpg

0vDnuIx.jpg

1xFMM2o.jpg

AKwpwwO.jpg

dgntHRT.jpg

6iK4xBj.jpg

Apparently, no one knows how to use the search function on this web site. A simple search for Kibler vs Chambers kits will yield many posts.

dave

Last edited:
Have to decide. Do you want to have a gun or do you want to build a gun. If you want to Have a gun, go with Kibler. If you want to build a gun, go with Chambers or one of the other kits. Maybe even build from a blank.

I have to disagree with Dave Person. Plumbing experience will help a lot with build a gun. No, you do not do much plumbing work on it. What helps is that you have experience working with tools. If you know how to use tools it will make a big difference even if they are different tools.

I agree with you billraby. During those forty years I've had to create tools using my imagination while under very tense and dangerous conditions. Dave put up a wonderful post but had to end it with a snide comment on using the search function. I did use it, but posted as I did so I could get some current answers. Dave kiss my ass. You deserve an ignore.

I guess there's a chasm between the idea of builders/assemblers. I don't believe I ran into that dis-ease in the AR world. I did view a barrel being forged from a wagon wheel steel rim. I'm not going that far, call me an assembler. I'm not going to creat wire for pins. or tubed steel for fittings, call me an assembler. Those builders have some passion and time on their hands.

Red,
The Person you seem to be ****** at, is undoubtedly the most knowledgeable, and best builder on this site. You will learn more about technique and authenticity from him than ANYONE else on this forum.
You should listen. If he stepped on your toes, it probably wasn’t intentional.
As with any public forum, you may not like every response you get.

Fellows, please understand I did say it was a magnificent post he laid out, or perhaps terrific was the word. I had figured out he was/is the go to guy. I appreciate your responses, I did not come to make bad friends but good friends. I have blocked Mr. Dave and do not wish to argue, fight, or continue a broken thread. It is my experience on the internet that new guys are sometimes victims of bullies. The intention as I figure is to put me in my place, category, or some chump pile. I've been there and done that. No way I'm sitting in the back of the class. I have an earnest interest in flintlock rifles and choose to stay here. I'm going to learn as much as I can from my betters, however I won't stand for any abuses not earned. Enough of the bologna from me. I do understand sometimes well intentioned words reflect back in different ways to different folk. I'll drop the ignore and see what's what. Thank you all once more.

Dave apology accepted. I have many bad days as well and understand completely. Thank you for allowing me to view your posts. I understand you are The Man and I accept that. I'm sure there are quite a few other well versed gentlemen here also. I apologize for my comment. I look forward to learning all I can from you.

BWWWAAAAHAHAHAHAHA, gotta love plumbers, straight up balls to the wall, work on putting that "top of the food chain" attitude in your back pocket Brother and things will go a bit smoother around here.

Welcome to the fun and camaraderie of muzzle loading and all of the wonderful things it offers. Your skillset is more than adequate to build a quality muzzle loader, both the Chambers set and the Kibler kit will get you headed in the right direction as the correct architecture is built into both of their products, that said the Kibler kit is like building a "snap tite" model as a kid, the fitting is all but done, the holes are mostly drilled out etc. I'm holding out for when he actually supplies an elf in his kits to finish them for me and clean up the shop afterwords. Chambers are a bit more complicated as they require considerably more time to assemble and draw on more of the varied skills required to complete the project. After all of that it is very easy to turn them each into a pile of junk worth less than the cost of the parts if you're not willing to put some quality time into them. They only get more challenging from there.

well i have been a professional transmission builder for 45 years. and an armature gunsmith, i have some unique skills others don't possess. so i bought a jaeger kit from track of the wolf about 8 years ago. i put my special super human skills not many people have into it! after a couple of days alone with it on my gunsmith table, i took a deep breath, boxed it up and sent it straight to a gun builder that had special skills i don't possess! i hope if the gun builders transmission fails he will send it to a transmission man,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

For those that have a knack for working with their hands, building a rifle is within their grasp. If you are going to venture into decorative carving, be sure to have good tools for the job and practice before attacking the gun stock. The best advice is to practice patience. Know what you are doing ahead of time and stop before you screw up. It is often best to put it down and revisit it the next day with a clear head.

I'm not a top dawg nor want to be. I'm a good back up guy, leadership is best left to those who can earn it. Dave seems to be a terrific man and I regret any hard feelings. Let's move on, please. I want to build a rifle.

Back