• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

First build: Sitting Fox Squirel Rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've never really had an interest in smooth bores, but I gotta admit that something like this makes me rethink that position.
Smoothies are addictive. They are always sneaky. When you get your load down on a rifle you might miss a shot, but it’s because you missloaded or flinched. 90% of the time we know when we screwed up a shot.
Not so on a smoothie. Your constantly playing a game with it.... and the gun usually wins.

Felt wads work is' brilliant ' no other word suits .The Circle Fox where North Star barrels , good barrels I still have a 12 bore & a twenty four bore the latter breached, proofed & browned for a Chiefs grade my plan was to offer it in the US but it got no further.
But others did quite a few but non signed .Once made a LH Chiefs that took its smooth barrel & a rifled one . Never happened but the customer is always right .Re inlet black a sooty oil lamp works for me
Rudyard

a local gun maker goes to flea markets, yard sales ang gets tubes of lipstick and uses them foe inletting, works rely great.

Who made the barrel for this kit. If that was Green Mountain, I have not encountered one machined that badly.
Also, you moved the barrel further back in the stock because the breech plug was long. I would have shortened the breech and plug. Manufactures seem to think they have to be long, but take a look at some of the originals. Also, the NMLRA also agrees. Here is a quote from their site: "Mar 20, 2020 — Unless you're contemplating building some sort of cannon, file the breech of your barrel until only slightly more than 1/2 inch of threading is left -- say, about 17/ 32. This amount of threading is plenty strong and by keeping the breech plug fairly short you aid the design of the lock and wrist region of the rifle."

Who made the barrel for this kit. If that was Green Mountain, I have not encountered one machined that badly.
Also, you moved the barrel further back in the stock because the breech plug was long. I would have shortened the breech and plug. Manufactures seem to think they have to be long, but take a look at some of the originals. Also, the NMLRA also agrees. Here is a quote from their site: "Mar 20, 2020 — Unless you're contemplating building some sort of cannon, file the breech of your barrel until only slightly more than 1/2 inch of threading is left -- say, about 17/ 32. This amount of threading is plenty strong and by keeping the breech plug fairly short you aid the design of the lock and wrist region of the rifle."

Too late now. Breech plug was .53 inches.

Looking at laying out the under lugs and ram rod pipes today. No muzzle cap. How far back is a good rule of thumb to place the first ramrod pipes. Not exactly how much room i need for shaping the muzzle cap(less) area. Looks like it would be the same regardless of having a muzzle cap or not.

Attachments

• KIMG0426.JPG
    KIMG0426.JPG
    115.4 KB · Views: 90
Latex out the first under lug. Figured the one closest to the breech is safe to do regardless of the pipe layout. 😀

Attachments

• KIMG0427.JPG
    KIMG0427.JPG
    92.8 KB · Views: 111
To make sure they don't move, you could stake the underlings with a center punch right at the spot where the 2 metals meet on the bottom flat. What don't show don't matter no how, eh?

As it is usually some years between builds for me I would say at least one bottom lug is always off kilter.
usually the second asI feel real confident and then whoops

Didn't get much of anything done over Thanksgiving week. Lock plate bolt drilled and tapped. Will have to get a die to run the threads further up the bolt. Under lugs drilled. Almost had a snaffu. My fence set up shifted very slightly and I didn't notice. Holes went through the lugs but two weren't centered.

Next item is inlet the lock parts.

Attachments

• KIMG0438.JPG
    KIMG0438.JPG
    61.9 KB · Views: 124
  • KIMG0453.JPG
    KIMG0453.JPG
    158.5 KB · Views: 125
  • KIMG0441.JPG
    KIMG0441.JPG
    80.4 KB · Views: 127
  • KIMG0442.JPG
    KIMG0442.JPG
    67.2 KB · Views: 138
  • KIMG0440.JPG
    KIMG0440.JPG
    118.3 KB · Views: 123
  • KIMG0456.JPG
    KIMG0456.JPG
    58.4 KB · Views: 123
  • KIMG0448.JPG
    KIMG0448.JPG
    106.4 KB · Views: 127
  • KIMG0449.JPG
    KIMG0449.JPG
    110.4 KB · Views: 135
  • KIMG0452.JPG
    KIMG0452.JPG
    105 KB · Views: 117
Been a while. Haven't given up. Just getting to it when I can. I've got the lock, trigger, and trigger guard completely inlitted. Currently working on inletting the ramrod pipes.

Hoped to be further along. But got a 3d printer and have been playing with that a bit. Got to get back on track. Kibler should be coming any week now.

Attachments

• KIMG0466.JPG
    KIMG0466.JPG
    64.9 KB · Views: 80
  • KIMG0530.JPG
    KIMG0530.JPG
    87.7 KB · Views: 88
  • KIMG0600.JPG
    KIMG0600.JPG
    106 KB · Views: 84
  • KIMG0531.JPG
    KIMG0531.JPG
    67.6 KB · Views: 91
good going. some scary stuff doing your first build.

the first dovetail i did, took nerves of steel. gets easier the more you do.

in letting, i only have ever used a candle, i buy the dollar store candles, i find they soot up quickly and gets into all the nooks and crannys with no effort. and. also convenient for sparking a hoot.

ou
tom

Attachments

• IMG_4275.JPG
    IMG_4275.JPG
    85 KB · Views: 56
good going. some scary stuff doing your first build.

the first dovetail i did, took nerves of steel. gets easier the more you do.

I'm pretty worries about the sight dovetails. Cross that bridge when I get their I guess.

Got one of 2 ramrod pipes in.

Attachments

• 16118823736216327598902668885204.jpg
    16118823736216327598902668885204.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 76
  • 16118823922117397535095337940860.jpg
    16118823922117397535095337940860.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 76

Latest posts

Back