• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

First build: Sitting Fox Squirel Rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
While I wait for my Kibler SMR to arrive I might as well build myself a squirel rifle. I chose the sitting Fox K46 Tenn Poor boy because I like the looks and the price isn't bad.

Ordered the kit with just the barrel inlet done. I'll tackle everything else, hopefully 😉.

I actually started this last week. I'll throw in some pics and stuff till I'm caught up to where I am with the kit. First order of business was this breech plug

Attachments

• KIMG0349.JPG
    KIMG0349.JPG
    52.5 KB · Views: 151
First order of business , unless the pic is unclear, looks like they sent a breech plug for a much larger barrel. If that's true , by the time you file off the top of the plug to mate up w/the top flat of the barrel , the plug tang might be a little too thin ???? Could be just the camera angle???...........oldwood

The barrel would not fit into the barrel inlet. Hoping draw filing would shave off enough for a fit I got to work.

Attachments

• KIMG0352.JPG
    KIMG0352.JPG
    63.9 KB · Views: 145
  • KIMG0354.JPG
    KIMG0354.JPG
    53.1 KB · Views: 141
  • KIMG0353.JPG
    KIMG0353.JPG
    121.7 KB · Views: 138
Didn't have any inletting black. Read that dry erase marker would work. Sure does! Got the barrel fit into the inlet.

Attachments

• KIMG0356.JPG
    KIMG0356.JPG
    88.1 KB · Views: 161
  • KIMG0357.JPG
    KIMG0357.JPG
    92.6 KB · Views: 164
  • KIMG0355.JPG
    KIMG0355.JPG
    80.8 KB · Views: 177
At this point I'm really happy I didn't order a stock with a pre inletted lock. Barrel needed to go back quite a bit

Attachments

• KIMG0387.JPG
    KIMG0387.JPG
    97 KB · Views: 140
Got the barrel set back and started on the tang inlet. Here's where some newby mistakes start. Oops. I'm not sure how I made the inlet so wide. But I won't make that mistake again. I think by this point I switched to prussian blue for inletting "black". Other than the good I'm pretty happy with my first inlet.

Attachments

• KIMG0401.JPG
    KIMG0401.JPG
    110.6 KB · Views: 187
  • KIMG0399.JPG
    KIMG0399.JPG
    82.5 KB · Views: 180
  • KIMG0397.JPG
    KIMG0397.JPG
    85.5 KB · Views: 199
  • KIMG0398.JPG
    KIMG0398.JPG
    106.1 KB · Views: 204
  • KIMG0400.JPG
    KIMG0400.JPG
    76.4 KB · Views: 198
Lock plate time! Pretty straight forward. Watched the lock inletting part Bill Raby's YouTube vid a few times before I started. Helped a ton! Thanks Bill!

This came out better than I thought it would. Couple of chissels 😬 a few times. But it's a poor boy right? Lol

This is where I'm at now. I'll probably get the underlings and ramrod pipes inleted and installed minus the pins this week. Then maybe drill the lock bolt and tap it and drill the the pins. Up in the air on what order at the moment.

I did play with some tanic acid and aqua fortise on some scrap. That's pretty amazing stuff.

Attachments

• KIMG0404.JPG
    KIMG0404.JPG
    120.2 KB · Views: 196
  • KIMG0411.JPG
    KIMG0411.JPG
    61.7 KB · Views: 196
  • KIMG0410.JPG
    KIMG0410.JPG
    102.3 KB · Views: 201
  • KIMG0413.JPG
    KIMG0413.JPG
    68.3 KB · Views: 202
  • KIMG0414.JPG
    KIMG0414.JPG
    81.8 KB · Views: 196
  • KIMG0420.JPG
    KIMG0420.JPG
    72.4 KB · Views: 203
  • KIMG0424.JPG
    KIMG0424.JPG
    62.3 KB · Views: 183
What size and caliber barrel did you go with? I had been looking at one of these to scratch my squirrel rifle itch after I do my .50 IH.

What size and caliber barrel did you go with? I had been looking at one of these to scratch my squirrel rifle itch after I do my .50 IH.

I went with a 36. Has to be 36 or smaller here if u aren't hunting deer on state land. The kit comes with 13/16" and 42" long barrel.

The plug threads are twice as long as they historicaly where. it stuff' s up the rear side nail and people drill through the plug.
I don't I lop of the useless length. A Brown Bess is scarce 3/8". A Stuadenmayer Volunteers Baker I worked on had barely 3/8th" and was finger tight . 'Three good threads' was an oft recommended minimum . This modern Industry standard is just fear of litigation . No barrel of mine failed proof .When your replicating originals you follow them . As shown you would need the old 'chamber plug ' by boreing out the central portion & venting it to connect . I had an old fowling piece with this feature it shot slow as old nick so I would pre load it with fine powder before the main load. One day decoying Wood pigeons . I let peg and the shot spewed out of the barrel never reaching the bird as ide forgot the main charge . Your best ' document' is an old gun . They knew what they where doing had it all down pat from experience . & didn't feel the need two reinvent the wheel .
Rudyard

I built several flintlock sporting guns using sitting fox barrel in both 12 and 16 bore .This was several decades ago some I fitted with a repro Indian and Siler flint locks , I removed the tang breech plug and fitted a hooked breech plug and a standing breech has these barrels were not UK proof they were all proofed at Birmingham . For game shooting and clays I have found that they all shoot well and I have had some good days decoying pigeon and crows,
P1010001.JPG
P1010006.JPG
100_1848.JPG
not large numbers but they do the job
Feltwad

I built several flintlock sporting guns using sitting fox barrel in both 12 and 16 bore .This was several decades ago some I fitted with a repro Indian and Siler flint locks , I removed the tang breech plug and fitted a hooked breech plug and a standing breech has these barrels were not UK proof they were all proofed at Birmingham . For game shooting and clays I have found that they all shoot well and I have had some good days decoying pigeon and crows,View attachment 51287 not large numbers but they do the job
Feltwad
Gorgeous work feltwad.
absolutely gorgeous

I built several flintlock sporting guns using sitting fox barrel in both 12 and 16 bore .This was several decades ago some I fitted with a repro Indian and Siler flint locks , I removed the tang breech plug and fitted a hooked breech plug and a standing breech has these barrels were not UK proof they were all proofed at Birmingham . For game shooting and clays I have found that they all shoot well and I have had some good days decoying pigeon and crows,View attachment 51286View attachment 51287View attachment 51288 not large numbers but they do the job
Feltwad
a rely nice single barrel shot gun. and in flint! you just gotta luve it!!

I built several flintlock sporting guns using sitting fox barrel in both 12 and 16 bore .This was several decades ago some I fitted with a repro Indian and Siler flint locks , I removed the tang breech plug and fitted a hooked breech plug and a standing breech has these barrels were not UK proof they were all proofed at Birmingham . For game shooting and clays I have found that they all shoot well and I have had some good days decoying pigeon and crows,View attachment 51286View attachment 51287View attachment 51288 not large numbers but they do the job
Feltwad

I've never really had an interest in smooth bores, but I gotta admit that something like this makes me rethink that position.

Back