• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

First build - Kibler Colonial Rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wiley1

32 Cal
Reaction score
I am building my first rifle, a Kibler Colonial. I am wondering how much is enough or too much when it comes to finishing. I would like the rifle to have a finish that would resemble a rifle built in the 1770's. I watched Jim's videos and in one of them he said to not finish to a polish as it would not look right. So how do you know when to stop? To what degree would an original be finished? I have tried to research online looking at originals but it is really hard to tell in photos if there are still small imperfections or how fine something was sanded. It is easy to get carried away and end up with something polished.

220 grit and no finer. If you want imperfections, you can add them into your stock. A few nicks here a few small gouges there. A bump or two to make it look handled. If it's too pretty, you'll be afraid to take it out of your safe.

BLO cut with turpentine or mineral spirits will give you nice looking, gloss free, finish. It will handle the weather OK too.

Stay away from glossy finishes like varnish, Tru oil, tung oil, shellac, waxes, etc.

Last edited:
what 64Springer says.
the important part is to eliminate any long scratches or machining marks. rasps and course grit papers can leave scratches that really stand out with an application of finish.
i sand to 220g then swab the entire stock with a damp cloth. this usually exposes the scratches. being i am old with a nano second memory i take a picture of the blemishes with my phone. then i dry the stock completely and sand again paying attention to those spots in my pictures.
this is what i strive for, don't always get it . finished a SMR plank build only to discover i had missed the right side of the butt stock from the wrist back. looked like Rosie O'donol's varicose veined legs!
had to strip the finish and do it right. or as right as i am capable of doing.

I am building my first rifle, a Kibler Colonial. I am wondering how much is enough or too much when it comes to finishing. I would like the rifle to have a finish that would resemble a rifle built in the 1770's. I watched Jim's videos and in one of them he said to not finish to a polish as it would not look right. So how do you know when to stop? To what degree would an original be finished? I have tried to research online looking at originals but it is really hard to tell in photos if there are still small imperfections or how fine something was sanded. It is easy to get carried away and end up with something polished.
Luckily both the metal and wood finishes can be redone if you find your unhappy with the results. Of course taking off too much wood is a different story. With the metal I personally like to go for more of a polish. If it doesn't take the blue or brown the way I want I can scuff it up a little and try again.

Latest posts

Back