• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

First Build Complete (pic heavy)

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tlallijr

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I had a lot of fun taking on this project, it started as a Track Of The Wolf 'Classic Golden Age' kit and ended as a simple 'Barn Gun'. I used this forum as a guide and learned a lot during the process. Being my first build I tried to keep it simple and decided to go for the plain jane barn gun. I hope to work my way up to a fancier rifle in the future so any criticism is welcome. I know there's not much there to critique but any advise for improvement on the next build is welcome. Thanks for looking. Tony

awby21.jpg
[/img]
2mc8vpt.jpg
[/img]
e6dkxv.jpg
[/img]
207koxw.jpg
[/img]
348geg3.jpg
[/img]
5b68mg.jpg
[/img]
1owwnb.jpg
[/img]
30thuf8.jpg
[/img]
4r9lkj.jpg
[/img]
1075a2b.jpg
[/img]

Nice first effort. really good job of inletting the tang, butt plate, and trigger guard.

A couple of things jump out at me;
There seems to be a little too much wood around the lock panels. Maybe on your next one you could slim them down some more, particularly on the bottom.

The bow of the trigger guard seems to have too deep of a curve to it too. Maybe that could be flattened out. to my way of thinking there shouldn't be too much air between the bottom of the trigger to the trigger guard, except on maybe a trade rifle.

Where the cheek piece ends and transitions to the butt it's sort of rounded, and the transition isn't very sharp. Most Lancasters and Becks seem to have better definition in this area.

The sculpting of the fluting under the cheek piece is sort of squarish. It could have been a little smoother in the transitions from the bottom to the top edges of the flutes.

Most first guns usually leave too much wood on them as they come from the pre-carve set. I know that mine sure did. Your next one will be much better.

Man that sure is a beauty! Outstanding for a first. Just the way I like 'em, plain and simple. Don't care to much for a lot of fancy stuff on a rifle. :hatsoff:

Great looking build. I love the color on the wood. I do agree the lock/side panels look to be rather beefy, but other than that it's very tastefully done!

Probably critiqued fairly, but you won't get noting past, these guys. If that's all they found wrong, you done good. I love the color, and only the very, very, experienced, could find anything wrong

REALLY LIKE that rifle. = To me, the LESS decoration the better, especially if you have BEAUTIFUL wood.
(Yours is handsome.)

yours, satx

Great job! Some of the photos have shadows in areas I'd like to have a look at, but I like what I see. You need to take a pitch fork and put some dents and scratches in it, though. :grin:

Regards,
Mike

nice first build bro!! It wont be long you will have another one on the bench!!!

I think ya did an excellent job. I really like the color & finish... Coupld things come to mind looking at it. Just MY opinion, & worth every penny it cost.........

1: Right off the bat I spotted the RR pipes are not evenly spaced. The center pipe should be centered between the entrypipe (a hole in this case) and the first pipe.

2: I would have put the 1st RR pipe closer to the muzzle, to give the end of the RR a lil more support.

3: For me...... :idunno: the triggerguard bow is too large for the rifle, and the trigger itself as well.

4: There appears to be a triggerplate & it shows wider than the triggerguard.... I feel it is more appealing to have the plate not as wide as the guard, when you look at the bottom.

5: Rounded off wood at tang inlet near breech. You could have glued a small piece in there & dark as the rifle is, most likely not seen it.

6: Could have taken the lock panel & opposite side down a lil more.

But all in all, from what I can see in the photos, ya did a Good Job. :thumbsup:

Keith Lisle

nicely finished - looks like you've done wood finishing before.

some things to think about on the next one
- lock panels.... the hardest thing to grasp in my opinion.
think about flowing up into, and down out of them a little more smoothly next time.
bigger radius front and and especially back.

Try this trick next time: initially shape in the whole lock panel with a 8" half round file (or rasp) and see what look that gives you - let that sink in for a day or two.
Then you can take a smaller tool and sharpen up a few of the radius transitions around the upper front.
Using the bigger tool at first prevents those tight radii that make the panel look "applied", rather than gracefully growing out from the wrist.
Anyway, that approach helped me after I struggled with lock panels for a couple years.

Could be wrong, but it looks like the trigger guard could be inlet further.
A lot of edge showing on the fore and aft finials.

Tang bolt heads looks a little proud.
but now I'm nit picking.....

nice job for a first, especially considering ya did a major style switch mid-stream.
/mike

Ya done good, Pilgrim!
As a first rifle, I wonder how many here had more things "wrong" with their first one. My first doesn't look near that good. Nice wood finish.

Just for comparison, here are some pictures from a builder who goes by "R Sells" This is a beautiful rifle and the OP's rifle is pretty darn nice as well....IMHO

DSCN9269_R_Sells_under_zpse7a827bd.jpg

DSCN9259_R_Sells_sideplate_zps69b60eb0.jpg

DSCN9257_R_Sells_cheek_zpsecb9396c.jpg

DSCN9255_R_Sells_half_zpseaba1bc4.jpg

DSCN9266_R_Sells_top_zps73f46617.jpg

Back