• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

First Build and questions.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have very limited experience making muzzleloaders, mostly i put together modern rifles as a hobby. I have done a bit of general carving though. I use gouges in #9, #5, and #3 sweeps. The nine is for roughing out, the five to start refining the shape and the three to smooth things out. I might add a skew chisle sometime, but I'm getting by without for now. You could buy this set in smaller sizes and be well fixed. A few specialty chisles as mentiond above would round things out. I like using palm chisels a lot. Small chisles can work big, but large chisles can't work small. Scrapers of all types are really handy. I'm a big fan of broken glass for scraping. Bust up a beer bottle and you can probably find just the shape you need. I do have nice steel scrapers.

Good luck on your build OP! I am working on my first real one. I wish I had spent more time focusing on sharpness and sharpening on my first kit, as others have suggested. I still waste too much energy and cash researching and purchasing "the perfect" tools. Kudos to the posters here that can make their own or enhance the inexpensive ones and still produce excellent builds.

I am working on a plank and after countless days sawing, sanding, rasping etc... a google search revealed to me that a Woodcraft store was way too close! A $260 plane + some scrapers and a strop later... lol. Very in to this though and am already appreciating some of my better tools including that jack plane.

Good luck on your build OP! I am working on my first real one. I wish I had spent more time focusing on sharpness and sharpening on my first kit, as others have suggested. I still waste too much energy and cash researching and purchasing "the perfect" tools. Kudos to the posters here that can make their own or enhance the inexpensive ones and still produce excellent builds.

I am working on a plank and after countless days sawing, sanding, rasping etc... a google search revealed to me that a Woodcraft store was way too close! A $260 plane + some scrapers and a strop later... lol. Very in to this though and am already appreciating some of my better tools including that jack plane.
Good luck to you as well!

Apart from the advice you've already gotten (and will get more) on tools, 2 critical things you need are a super solid bench, and a way to hold this very long piece of wood. I personally like to work by sitting on a stool, but others do most of their work while standing. I just find I can work longer and have better control when I sit.

Most people use 2 vices spaced some distance apart, but some can get away with one, and a rest for the other end. Good lighting is imperative.

well, it arrived today. I polished and made the butt plate temporarily acceptable for inletting it the stock. Have it almost done, but I decided to call it a night.
pics:
Last pic is where I’m leaving off tonight.
1E7CCD23-E097-4E3F-AE00-DD0C609B43B8.jpeg

0C2D193C-2B17-4D20-9E8D-AAA230A89E72.jpeg

7C4E2242-1250-4774-8684-494CDE05A097.jpeg
86C9BC7D-8A3B-423B-9F6C-3728105784E9.jpeg

almost there, drilled the holes in the butt plate and am going to countersink them tonight after some chiseling. I’m doing better than I thought I would for a first build. The stock is wider than the plate, which is good. I’ll take that extra wood away to make it look nicer once I clean it up.
2B0F22A5-8BF8-4895-A7D9-3D54FEBEA345.jpeg

1A1A58EB-CB7D-458E-951A-0785E9CE5A41.jpeg

BF2DE3CE-FC04-45BA-9A93-AE3197DD62E2.jpeg

Welcome you poor dumb fool!
Well another victim of the flintlock bug, like the rest of us....,

OK all kidding aside...,

Others have likely already written this, so this will probably be "another vote" in favor of what is next written....

IF I had the fortitude to obtain TRS parts to assemble a musket as my first build, HERE IS WHAT I'D DO...,
I'd read EVERYTHING that Dave Person has posted on this forum about building muskets, and I'd read it all, several times,
..., and I'd go very slow while I tried to duplicate what he wrote about what to do, and how to do it. 😶

I'd figure that would be the best way to end up with the best outcome concerning a Bess, if not any musket that you might choose. ;)

With slow, patient, diligent work, you are even likely to produce a musket of much higher quality than a store bought, Italian made musket (imho). 👍

LD

Alright, final inletting for the butt plate is done. There are some gaps which will be closed with wood putty. I’m also considering using thin CA glue and dust I got from sanding today. A great resource has been MODEL 1740 PRUSSIAN POTSDAM MUSKET AND BAYONET — Horse Soldier and it’s interesting seeing the imperfections in original examples of the M1740. That being said, I’m not building for an army, so I’m going to try and get the imperfections to a minimum. The butt plate has many scuffs and file marks which will be taken care of, I’m not leaving that in the condition it’s in. Although the quality isn’t quite up to the standard of guys on this forum who have been building for a while, I’m quite impressed with myself! I thought I would have screwed it up somehow! :p
Anyway, pics!
47DA824F-216D-4474-8EC7-6BC7683739D9.jpeg

28225F3C-ABBC-4DB0-9891-1A2FE1F1E974.jpeg

0CD8B0B6-D21F-4811-87C4-5CE524AAD537.jpeg

Cofhus gewheer ? Cow foot musket. Good on you for tackling one . I know little more than the name, but I know a man who does in Indiana in fact if you have the TRS Potzdam Mag lock it came from him (To copy) I gave it to him & I bought it in Cabool Afghanistan .Small world .
Regards Rudyard

Bill is right. You can peen the BP to shape to take up those gaps. Avoid wood putty if you possibly can. It will always show when the stain goes on.

Back