• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

First buck with the rocklock

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Weber,
Congratulations! Very nice deer and a story well told.
Interesting how a caliber, roundball and powder charge just like our ancestors used, is still effective at killing deer!

I ran just about the same load in my .45 flintlock... 50 gr if Swiss fffg, .440 ball and .015 pillow ticking. My lead ball fragmented and I found only pieces of it.
Congratulations!!!!

You have a true trophy buck to talk about. The .45 has been my favorite for a long time and is absolutely up to the task of cleanly taking large whitetail. About every state I've hunted in had a requirement of a minimum charge of 50 grains of BP; I always exceeded that charge. 60 grns of 3F works for me. And it doesn't take much to kill a deer as all the ones I've taken with a .357 revolver, and your 40 grn load, pretty much verifies. Congratulations.

Yeah, I did a double take when I saw 40 grains! But, as others have said, it's not how hard you hit 'em, as much as it is where you hit 'em. A hole in the heart pretty much kills anything that walks on earth.

I love pictures like these. Fabulous hunt, great story about the gun, which being a .45 one would not anticipate driving through a deer like that (i used to hunt with a .45 and lost a lot of deer it hit well). Bet those tenderloins tasted perfect

Congrats on a fine buck. I recently bought a 45 caliber rifle and have it shooting pretty good with 60 grains of 3f Old Ensyford under a .440 ball and a .10 thick Oxyoke cotton patch. I had been a bit worried that 60 grains wouldn't be enough but you've proven otherwise.

I put down my first buck with this muzzleloader. I've been struggling to develope a load for this rifle and finally got it figured out earlier in the week. Took a 40 yard shot with him on the move, he went about 50 yards and face planted in the dirt.

WELL Done, Nice buck and nice shot placement !

LD

Back