First buck with the rocklock

Help Support Muzzle Loading Forum:

TGJaeger

40 Cal.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Weber,
Congratulations! Very nice deer and a story well told.
Interesting how a caliber, roundball and powder charge just like our ancestors used, is still effective at killing deer!

Rodd Boyer

40 Cal
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
I ran just about the same load in my .45 flintlock... 50 gr if Swiss fffg, .440 ball and .015 pillow ticking. My lead ball fragmented and I found only pieces of it.
Congratulations!!!!

toot

32 Cal.
Reaction score
it looks like you put it in the EINGEN ROOM?

MSW

Cannon
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
congrats! nice looking deer

hanshi

Cannon
Reaction score
You have a true trophy buck to talk about. The .45 has been my favorite for a long time and is absolutely up to the task of cleanly taking large whitetail. About every state I've hunted in had a requirement of a minimum charge of 50 grains of BP; I always exceeded that charge. 60 grns of 3F works for me. And it doesn't take much to kill a deer as all the ones I've taken with a .357 revolver, and your 40 grn load, pretty much verifies. Congratulations.

GAHUNTER60

40 Cal
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Yeah, I did a double take when I saw 40 grains! But, as others have said, it's not how hard you hit 'em, as much as it is where you hit 'em. A hole in the heart pretty much kills anything that walks on earth.

pamtnman

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I love pictures like these. Fabulous hunt, great story about the gun, which being a .45 one would not anticipate driving through a deer like that (i used to hunt with a .45 and lost a lot of deer it hit well). Bet those tenderloins tasted perfect

deermanct

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Congrats on a fine buck. I recently bought a 45 caliber rifle and have it shooting pretty good with 60 grains of 3f Old Ensyford under a .440 ball and a .10 thick Oxyoke cotton patch. I had been a bit worried that 60 grains wouldn't be enough but you've proven otherwise.

Loyalist Dave

Cannon
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
I put down my first buck with this muzzleloader. I've been struggling to develope a load for this rifle and finally got it figured out earlier in the week. Took a 40 yard shot with him on the move, he went about 50 yards and face planted in the dirt.
WELL Done, Nice buck and nice shot placement !

LD

Latest posts