• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

First BP rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There seems to be alot of variables with BP. For instants ball size which I now understand I should use a .490 and adjust my patch but what about powder? Can I use FF or FFF is there a perferred? And amount I see people using anything form 60gr up to 90gr. So I should buy multipal funnel ends for my powder flask to cover all the different loads I might want to use?

Get you an adjustable powder measure. Picture of one bellow. Never ever pure powder from flask into barrel. Flask into powder measure, then into barrel.
I use 3F with my .50 Use either 2F or 3F, what ever you have. 3F will give you cleaner burn. My target load is 60 grs. with .018 patched .490 RB. Lube I use is moose milk, gives mutable shots without the need to clean between shots. Hunting load is 85 grains 3F.
Maurice

Attachments

• 106_0679 - Copy.JPG
    106_0679 - Copy.JPG
    152.7 KB · Views: 69
A lot of opeople are out of lot of stuff. I've been looking on those you mention and DixieGunWorks since that was where I bought the Hawkens. Most of the stuff I was able to get at Muzzleloaders. But I am having a problem finding what I need in a Range Rod I'm not sure what size I should get, my barrel is 28in so I'm assuming something in the 30in range?
Ohio ramrod on this site makes some outstanding range rods. I have one of his that I’ve used for years and years now.

Well I've just about snagged everything I think I'll need according to all the information I've gotten here even .490 shot except caps and powder. Everyones out. I check two of the local Gun Shop and neither of them carry anything dealing with BP. There is a store over in Jacksonville about an hour and a half away. I could try calling there but is there any where I'm missing. I've tried all the BP sites everyone has directed me to but no luck. Is it just a waiting game now?

Well I've just about snagged everything I think I'll need according to all the information I've gotten here even .490 shot except caps and powder. Everyones out. I check two of the local Gun Shop and neither of them carry anything dealing with BP. There is a store over in Jacksonville about an hour and a half away. I could try calling there but is there any where I'm missing. I've tried all the BP sites everyone has directed me to but no luck. Is it just a waiting game now?
Are you near a bass pro or cabelas? Triple 7 would get ya you shooting, although goex is, in my opinion, the best. also see if you can locate members here that are near you. Sometimes if they have more then enough supplies they will “share”. Good luck!

A lot of opeople are out of lot of stuff. I've been looking on those you mention and DixieGunWorks since that was where I bought the Hawkens. Most of the stuff I was able to get at Muzzleloaders. But I am having a problem finding what I need in a Range Rod I'm not sure what size I should get, my barrel is 28in so I'm assuming something in the 30in range?

From a newbie in the BP scene welcome, and I feel your pain. Dixie’s on a 4 week backlog on shipping. Below is the rod I ordered from Amazon to supplement for my new 1861. It doesn’t come with a handle and has extra length to trim. By itself it’s extremely bendy but in the barrel should have a bit of support however, I’m not ramming patched balls, minie’s are a bit undersized.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008PL8JL8/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
From one amateur to another, you’ll spend a lot in accessories, and yes powder and yes powder and primers are drying up just like the centerfire world...sucks....but fingers crossed this dry spell is over soon.

Thats a good measure. Exactly the same as mine. Works perfect at the range and as your go to measure for when working with new and unfamiliar guns.

You'll find that a lot of guys use a fixed powder measure because they're quicker and take up less space in your pouch. Once you get your load worked up, measure it out and pour it into a used BIG rifle shell. Then mark it and cut it and that's your fixed measure, it will be guaranteed to throw your favorite load every time.

But for now, his is the measure you need. Don't go cheap and buy a plastic one from Walmart like a lot of guys do. Get something quality now. It will last you forever and never look tacky. It also costs the same price as the junk plastic ones.

I also have a miniature adjustable measure like his for when working out loads for pistols.

There seems to be alot of variables with BP. For instants ball size which I now understand I should use a .490 and adjust my patch but what about powder? Can I use FF or FFF is there a perferred? And amount I see people using anything form 60gr up to 90gr. So I should buy multipal funnel ends for my powder flask to cover all the different loads I might want to use?
if you want to stick to approved loads , Goex lists a .490 round ball with 50 gr of black as a reduced load for target shooting using FFF
personally I load 60 and have loaded 90 with a patched round ball or conical in my 50s

I like FFF for how it seems to burn more complete for me in the target loads , and since the gun I was shooting 90gr of FFF in with patched round ball , lee r.e.a.l. 's and even some sabots was rated for 150gr of FF I had plenty of wiggle room in my safety margin.

if your not trying to hunt with it just target shoot no need to burn more powder than nessecaary

when I was working with the 90gr of FFF in my traditions deer hunter I had limited time and was working on a hunting load for muzzle loader deer season since I hadn't gotten any deer in the rifle season. if 90gr shot well enough was going to tun with it

it did shoot well enough but the weather stunk and I had other things to do and I got given a pig and ewe so I was good for meat.

some simple advice in a 50cal , start with 50gr work up find your best group and find where they open up then go back to your best group

we run reduced 25yard target loads all the time 25-30gr of FFF makes a pound last a long time figure you have a little spillage 220-225 rounds from a pound also would make a fine small game load , we can often clover leaf balls at 25 yards with these target loads. almost no recoil enjoyable shooting all day.

start with an adjustable powder measure then if you choose to get measures for your flask , buy just the size you need or maybe 2-3 sizes if you have a coupel loads you like

you still need that other measure to get the load from your flask to your barrel the ends just cut down on spillage.

NEVER dump from the flask into the barrel , you are holding a grenade in your hand doing so , if a ember remains down the barrel and it sets off a say 90gr charge charge poured from a measure there is a big woosh , but since you had your muzzle tipped away from you and you had very minimal hand to muzzle exposure because you sort of sneak the powder measure up the side then tip it in. you get some minor burns.

If you dump from the flask measure into the muzzle and it finds an ember smoldering in your barrel , you are holding a grenade in your hand and you are really lucky you might get keep your eyes if your wearing good safety glasses and they call you stumpy the rest of your life that is if you are very lucky , it could very well kill you and people around you , Never pour from a horn or flask into the muzzle.

Last edited:
Yeah I would not load from the flask or horn either if I were you. Some say it's safe to load from a flask with a measure spout if it's well built, and that might be true, but it might also not be true.

I look at it this way, if I load from a flask spout, I might not blow my hand off and get third degree burns on my chest and face and go blind. But if I load from a powder measure, then that damn sure will never happen. Dont ever do it. The convenience just isn't worth the risk, no matter how large or small of a risk it is.

Yeah I would not load from the flask or horn either if I were you. Some say it's safe to load from a flask with a measure spout if it's well built, and that might be true, but it might also not be true.

I look at it this way, if I load from a flask spout, I might not blow my hand off and get third degree burns on my chest and face and go blind. But if I load from a powder measure, then that damn sure will never happen. Dont ever do it. The convenience just isn't worth the risk, no matter how large or small of a risk it is.
exactly it is all about layers or safety precaution , it takes few extra seconds to pour in a measure and there can be no issue.

you don't wait till the absolute last second and test your braking ability at every light , that is how you have a negligent driving collision.

the same applies with muzzle loading , don't always test the limits of your equipment and it is a lot less likely to cost you if one component fails. the difference between extremely safe and very dangerous are a few seconds.

this is about the time I expect to hear , but such and such Indian fighter did it , and my reply is always , if you find yourself in a combat situation with a muzzle loader load how ever you like your life expectancy is already so short it won't matter much.

Yep. I concur the immediate risk in a gunfight is far worse than the risk of your horn/flask exploding.

Speaking of brakes, I have a relative, whom I love dearly, who has been tailgating people for 50 years. Never had an accident. But my God you can't say a word to him about it.

Its the same way with flasks. You will find people who've been loading from them their whole life. Doesn't mean it's a good idea.

If you must have a flask, this one from Traditions and overdue to inventory at MidwayUSA is the flask I would buy. the measure is incorporated with the valve. Once the measure if filled, it is removed from the flask and the powder is poured from the measure into the barrel.

Traditions Hunter Flask Powder Measure 5-120 Grains Brass (midwayusa.com)

There are several variations of this flask and measure from other vendors such as Muzzle Loaders Builders' Supplies and Knight Muzzleloading. The Traditions flask is the best price.

This the flask I ordered Muzzle-Loaders Brass Powder Flask - 1350 Grain Capacity
And this is the measurer https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000PW9HO8/ref=ppx_od_dt_b_asin_title_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
And trust me I will not be pouring powder into the barrel from my flask.

your good with that combo I have that same flask and measure , you can buy the screw in cone for your most common load once you know what it is . I would buy the size one bigger and trim it with a file to be perfect. I find when I place my finger over the end and drop the charge it is a couple three grains light of what I wanted my 30grain throws 27-28 fairly consistently.

when you find your perfect load scribe a line on the side opposite the measure numbers on that adjustable measure , or make yourself a fixed measure that is perfect , that strike off funnel is really handy and gets you better accuracy in measuring a load you can tell when you measure 3-4 loads and weigh them each on the scale , is that enough of a difference to make a difference , maybe , maybe not.

I would rather the flask measure throw 2 gr more than I want and strike that off with the measure cone to have a really consistent load each time but that is a personal preference if your flash throws just what you like you can just use a larger fixed measure or large rifle brass to transport the load to the muzzle

a 30-06 case is a almost perfect 70gr of black

I also own the measure & flask Grenadier linked I like it Except it uses very small Allen screw on the back side to ride in a slot and it works it's way out and then it all falls apart one day , if you lock tight it when new it will probably be fine. after mine worked loose the screw had worked the slot longer and now it spills powder from the side of the valve

I think we all get involved in this sport by situation. Some people are born into it. Some just dive in and buy something and others have an old gun dropped in his lap and the bug bites you. First I would say read everything you can find about that gun, good or bad. Read all included litterateur. Become familiar with the loading process and the correct type of powder, ball and caps/flint. Never, never ,never load anything bingo your gun that isn't explicitly for that gun. When in doubt? STOP! ask a question, here or from the guns manufacturer. The only stupid question you will ever be accused if, is the one you don't ask! These firearms are very safe to use when used correctly. They also will kill you in a hot second if you disrespect it.
Look up that exact firearm on YouTube. I'm sure you'll find a video from unboxing to first firing. You'll also get an idea what you'll need to fire the gun safely. Traditions makes a pretty decent starters kit to get you going with the basics. Ball starters, cappers, flask, measurers, picks, etc. Visit a range close to you, hang out and watch. Sombody bwill show up with a muzzleloader. The best way to do it is to find someone you know to show you the ropes.
Good luck, be safe, have a blast.
Neil
Yeah, what Capnball wrote

I know I have some 308 empties but I’ll have to see if I have any 30.06. I have some unfired but gave my son back in Ohio my 30.06 rifle.
308 came out to right about 55gr

if it wasn't 2021 you could ask about anyone for one empty , this year , well it's just odd.

Latest posts

Back