• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

First BP rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello all

I just purchased my first BP rifle, a Traditions St. Louis Hawken. But I have a couple of questions. Do most people build or buy their rifles? And is there a list of accessories somewhere that I'll need to purchase?

Thanks in advance.
Rex

Hello all

I just purchased my first BP rifle, a Traditions St. Louis Hawken. But I have a couple of questions. Do most people build or buy their rifles? And is there a list of accessories somewhere that I'll need to purchase?

Thanks in advance.
Rex
I think we all get involved in this sport by situation. Some people are born into it. Some just dive in and buy something and others have an old gun dropped in his lap and the bug bites you. First I would say read everything you can find about that gun, good or bad. Read all included litterateur. Become familiar with the loading process and the correct type of powder, ball and caps/flint. Never, never ,never load anything bingo your gun that isn't explicitly for that gun. When in doubt? STOP! ask a question, here or from the guns manufacturer. The only stupid question you will ever be accused if, is the one you don't ask! These firearms are very safe to use when used correctly. They also will kill you in a hot second if you disrespect it.
Look up that exact firearm on YouTube. I'm sure you'll find a video from unboxing to first firing. You'll also get an idea what you'll need to fire the gun safely. Traditions makes a pretty decent starters kit to get you going with the basics. Ball starters, cappers, flask, measurers, picks, etc. Visit a range close to you, hang out and watch. Sombody bwill show up with a muzzleloader. The best way to do it is to find someone you know to show you the ropes.
Good luck, be safe, have a blast.
Neil

I think most people buy their first muzzle loading rifle.

Kits are a a decision best answered by a critical evaluation of one's skills in metal and wood working and the tools one has at their disposal. Even the easiest kits will require tools that most of us don't have.

Okay I guess I should have asked first before buying. It's just I've built a number of my own AR15's and have done wood carving in the past plus being retired and alone I have a load of time on my hands and a load of gunsmithing tools. Now I realize I may need some specialized tools but I’m okay with that. Thanks for your advice, next time I’ll ask first.

All the best
Rex

Okay I guess I should have asked first before buying. It's just I've built a number of my own AR15's and have done wood carving in the past plus being retired and alone I have a load of time on my hands and a load of gunsmithing tools. Now I realize I may need some specialized tools but I’m okay with that. Thanks for your advice, next time I’ll ask first.

All the best
Rex
If as you say you've done gunsmithing and woodcarving you most likely have all the tools you need. There are three different level of "kits" (if I may use the word as such). First and hardest are the "kits" people put together themselves and start with a stock blank, shape the stock, drill out the ramrod hole, cut out for the barrel, inlet everything, etc. Second are the kits that are pretty much a pre selected jumble of parts sold by someone like Track of the Wolf, Pecatonica River, etc where the stock is mostly done with some minor inletting left to do. These you can get with different things done for a fee like attaching the lugs, breech, sights, etc to the barrel. Thirdly there's the "easy" kits from vendors like Pendersoli and Traditions where very little actually has to be done to finish the build.

Hello all

Thanks in advance.
Rex

You've probably heard of the Polar Vortex. Welcome to the ML Vortex. Careful it will pull your bank account under and maybe even take you with it.

Well I went ahead and bought the Traditions model. Not really the one I wanted, I want a Lyman™ Great Plains Hunter - .54 Caliber but they weren't in stock, at least not that I could find. But it will give me something to do.

AH yes, circumstances will dictate results...,

I started with a "kit"...., back in 1976. I was 13, and it was what I could afford.

Now a "kit" back then, and as far as I'm concerned today, is what a lot of people today call "in-the-white", which means the metal parts have all been inlet into the wood, and the rifle will function right out of the box, BUT..., the buyer is supposed to do some minor if any metal finishing, and also to sand, stain, and seal the stock. For me it was the least expensive option.

For others, though, a "kit" is the parts, with fitting to the stock and finishing needed on the metal. This is what I call a "build" not a "kit". ;)

For a select few, a "kit" (albeit with a small amount of tongue-in-cheek humor) is some steel, some brass, and a large piece of dried, curly maple, and they will forge and rifle the barrel as well as build the lock on their own, shape the stock, and eventually produce a masterpiece of wood and metal and also shoots. 🙂

I've bought several "factory made" muzzleloaders over the years, both new and used, and I've built a few too.

The nice thing about this hobby is that you can buy a "factory" made rifle or gun, or a "kit" and get to know just that one gun, and you're fine, OR you can delve into more complicated portions of this hobby. It's ALL up to your fancy, AND..., you get to change up what interests you as time passes.

I started out building a Civil War rifled musket from a kit...,
But I then got a couple factory made rifles, one a very plain-jane caplock for banging around in the woods for deer, and the other a plains rifle, which was a gift.
Then some years later I tried my hand building a flintlock longrifle,
and right after that I bought a factory made flintlock longrifle, as well as a flintlock musket,

And I've acquired or made some since then....

You see this stuff "gets into your blood", and you will likely find it taking up a bunch of your time, but I think it will be worth it.

So NOW..., You are One of Us,

One of Us
One of Us
One of Us

LD

One of the good parts of the m/l fun ,is that your trips to the practice range are lots cheaper. Price of modern rifle ammo is to me insane. Everyone says "Practice makes , (well , in my case) , Almost Perfect ? 1/4 lb. FFFG ,a good flint or two , 25 or so ,.490 balls , hand cast , patching. Last box 20 rounds ctg. ammo was short of $50 bucks. This choice isn't rocket science . Get shootin' ! ..............Oldwood

Do not regret the Traditions purchase. Traditions brand sources good guns , some that were
CVA are now Traditions brand. If later you want a different "go to" hunter, look for
a deserving loved one to share it with. Because of liability,guns are made stronger these
days. The company that produced the barrels for CVA marketed Hawkens has one
the top barrel-making facilities in Europe, fully computerized and producing championship
level barrels. This is why the CVA rifles are so accurate. Traditions helps the sport by offering
entry level pricing with decent quality. I recommend Traditions/ CVA Brands to my young
shooters or for those on a budget-- and buy them to give for gifts.

Sounds to me like you have the appropriate skills to assemble a kit . As far as shooting it I would buy a "Lyman Black Powder Handbook " . I got mine for $10 free shipping used on the net. It has all the basic "how to" information in it and it is a good reference guide. "The Muzzleloading Rifle Handbook" by the NRA is another one you can get used and it is excellent.

I ask the same questions when I got back into BP shooting. I went with a Lyman GPR factory built gun cause I don't have the time to build one . I went with the GPR because I wanted to shoot round balls specifically. Your gun will probably do better with a conical projectile like a maxi-ball . All the traditions guns I have encountered seem to be reliable and shoot well. Seems to me like a good place to start making smoke!!!

I've owned, shot and hunted with Traditions and CVA rifles and yes, the barrels are excellent plus. The flint locks they produce "can" have issues on occasion but the percussion locks are very good. I can recommend either without reservation.

Okay I'm trying to get everything together and get it all order so I'll be kited and ready once I get the Hawken and get it put together. But I'm at the point now that I was going to order shot for it but now I'm wondering if I should wait until I can spec out the barrel. Because they have .490 or .495 and I have no idea which to choose.

Okay I'm trying to get everything together and get it all order so I'll be kited and ready once I get the Hawken and get it put together. But I'm at the point now that I was going to order shot for it but now I'm wondering if I should wait until I can spec out the barrel. Because they have .490 or .495 and I have no idea which to choose.
I’ve never bought a 50 cal rifle that required a .495 when new. With a .490 you can always use a thicker patch. With a .495 I’ve found that you can’t get a reliable patch thin enough to even get it in most bores without pounding it in with a mallet. I’d bet you’ll be perfectly fine getting some .490s up front.

At the minimum, you want a powder measure, a funnel, a ball worm (ball puller), a patch worm (puller), a cleaning jag, a bore brush, a nipple wrench, a nipple pick, and a bore swab (optional), ball starter (optional). And a small tin to keep them in.

Get these items from a traditional muzzleloader dealer, like Buffalo arms, track of wolf, October country muzzleloading, etc. Don't buy from Walmart or your local gun shop like most do because they're in a hurry. It costs more in the long run because eventually you will want quality traditional stuff and you will end up with a bunch of plastic and low quality cva garbage that you don't want anymore and wasted money on.

Get the .490's, and .015" thick patches. You can always go up or down in patch thickness as you get more familiar with your new rig.

At the minimum, you want a powder measure, a funnel, a ball worm (ball puller), a patch worm (puller), a cleaning jag, a bore brush, a nipple wrench, a nipple pick, and a bore swab (optional), ball starter (optional). And a small tin to keep them in.

Get these items from a traditional muzzleloader dealer, like Buffalo arms, track of wolf, October country muzzleloading, etc. Don't buy from Walmart or your local gun shop like most do because they're in a hurry. It costs more in the long run because eventually you will want quality traditional stuff and you will end up with a bunch of plastic and low quality cva garbage that you don't want anymore and wasted money on.
A lot of opeople are out of lot of stuff. I've been looking on those you mention and DixieGunWorks since that was where I bought the Hawkens. Most of the stuff I was able to get at Muzzleloaders. But I am having a problem finding what I need in a Range Rod I'm not sure what size I should get, my barrel is 28in so I'm assuming something in the 30in range?

Buy a long one and cut it to size. I think I just recently ordered a 40 inch from October country. And you're right. Dixie gun works is currently overwhelmed. I have not had trouble from the other stores recently though.

Take a look at dixie gunworks just the same. It will expose you to the wide variety of quality made and period correct accouterments that a lot of us use on here. Very educational for a newcomer.

Back