• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

first bp rifle CVA Lynx .54 - what do I need?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice starter gun and at a good price for sure. As others have said a .54 caliber will take a 530 round ball and a #10 patch and you will need a # 11 size percussion cap. If the barrel has a 1:48 rate of twist you can shoot a conical bullet out of it just not over much more than 50 yards or you will have to account for drop at longer distance shots. Avoid sabots unless you have a sabot solvent to clean the plastic from the sleeve out of the barrel. Percussion caps have gotten hard to find over the last couple of years but there is a company out there making a kit to make your own out of tin cans. Just look up percussion cap maker and you can get the primer kit with it for a total of 69.00 shipped, enough to make around 2000 percussion caps. You will need a jag to clean the barrel, a mop works great too, a nipple remover, having a worm and a ball remover is a good idea. 2 FFG powder or pyrodex, thats your preference. I prefer black powder myself and I have always shot 80 grains but you may be able to get by with 70 grains having a shorter barrel. Don't forget to get a rifle powder measure, enjoy!

When you order the cleaning jags, add a working ram rod to make loading and cleaning easier. You will need a powder measure the shows powder loads in grains by volume. Real black powder and all the synthetic black powders are designed to use loads that are measured by volume.

Welcome to traditional muzzleloading rifles.

I'll bet it's the same as a Bobcat except it's .54 cal. Every Bobcat I've heard of is .50 cal. My Bobcat is a .50 cal also. Good solid little gun.

Welp got stuff ordered last night

Short starter
patch werm, jag, 2x mops and a couple of brushes
bullet puller

Also got some .530 balls and 0.015 patches

Already have powder and caps

Just waiting on the big brown truck of happiness to arrive

Sounds like you got the basics covered.
Track of the Wolf Muzzleloading has a couple offerings in conical bullets for 54 caliber, if you decide to go that route.

Sounds like you got the basics covered.
Track of the Wolf Muzzleloading has a couple offerings in conical bullets for 54 caliber, if you decide to go that route.

Unfortunately they didn't have everything I needed/wanted in stock. Grafs got me covered, flat rate shipping and I got some other metallic reloading stuff I needed as well

Welcome to the addiction. I'm afraid I must warn you, this one rifle will lead to another...and another...and...

BP isn't my primary love... but then again, neither are EBRs, SBRs and PCCs, small light bolt guns in small light calibers or rimfire rigs designed to plink golf balls at 150 yards. My "forever guns" are tools that fill a specific need, and unfortunately BP doesn't make that list (unless I get a cannon for some reason... )

Only possible niche for loose powder BP stuff that I may need to check off the bucket list of "stuff to have owned and shot for a while in my life" would be a small caliber BP rifle (32 or 36) and a SxS shotgun. Unmentionables chambered for things that started life as BP rounds are a whole different matter, but then again fairly niche...

"The lock should have an adjustable sear. Be careful of this. Look at Traditions website and download the Deerhunter manual (Both CVA and Traditions were made by Ardessa in Spain). It has instructions on how to properly adjust the trigger pull weight. It will be roughly 4# at the lightest safest position without additional gunsmith type work."

Not all CVA locks have the sear adjustment screw. I had a Stalker rifle that didn't. I don't believe my Bobcat does either.

Walt

Latest posts

Back