• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

first bp rifle CVA Lynx .54 - what do I need?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

new2bp

40 Cal
Reaction score
Just got one (following up from other thread from last week, paid $125 OTD). Unfortunately, my only BP experience is a 1858 revolver and two shots fired from a flintlock at boy scout camp 35+ years ago.

So... I have a rifle and a ramrod that rides underneath as they are wont to do, and appears to be made of fiberglass with some brass reinforcements and caps. What tool-like things do I need to shoot and then clean this thing properly? (I know about powder and measuring it, caps, balls/bullets, patches/wads/sabots, lube etc for actually firing)

Is this a sidelock or an inline? If it is a sidelock, is it percussion cap or flint? Be aware if it is an inline you will catch all heck for it here.

edit- after re-reading my post, I realized I kind of came off as a little rude. If it is a sidelock, I or any of the other members would be more than happy to help you.

Sidelock percussion. Cheap synthetic stock, and is apparently D&T'd for scope mounts is about as modern as it gets.

1657399861813.png

Is this a sidelock or an inline? If it is a sidelock, is it percussion cap or flint? Be aware if it is an inline you will catch all heck for it here.

edit- after re-reading my post, I realized I kind of came off as a little rude. If it is a sidelock, I or any of the other members would be more than happy to help you.
Don’t know why you are giving grief without even looking up what the OP has. Very similar to a CVA Bobcat Hunter. Good Rifle to start shooting BP with.

Ok, got it! It is basically a CVA Bobcat/Traditions DeerHunter. I own a DeerHunter and a CVA Gamester-Hawken (which is basically a Bobcat/Deerhunter).

You will need a proper nipple wrench (I suggest looking at Track of the Wolf). A proper cleaning jag (once again TOTW). And a patch pulling worm (yes TOTW again).

The lock should have an adjustable sear. Be careful of this. Look at Traditions website and download the Deerhunter manual (Both CVA and Traditions were made by Ardessa in Spain). It has instructions on how to properly adjust the trigger pull weight. It will be roughly 4# at the lightest safest position without additional gunsmith type work.

If it is a stock ramrod, then it is threaded for 10-32 accessories. I recommend a load of 80-100grs of ffg, a mink oil/tallow lube, a .490" ball, and a .010" or maybe a .015" patch.

I have not hunted with my CVA. My Deerhunter has literally slaughtered the deer over the years.

Just got one (following up from other thread from last week, paid $125 OTD). Unfortunately, my only BP experience is a 1858 revolver and two shots fired from a flintlock at boy scout camp 35+ years ago.

So... I have a rifle and a ramrod that rides underneath as they are wont to do, and appears to be made of fiberglass with some brass reinforcements and caps. What tool-like things do I need to shoot and then clean this thing properly? (I know about powder and measuring it, caps, balls/bullets, patches/wads/sabots, lube etc for actually firing)
First things first. Is the gun loaded? As far as minimal tools for cleaning, a cleaning jag and some type of worm (to pull loose patches out of the bore) are almost a necessity, and a range rod with a bore protector is nice to have, although you can use a jag you attach to the gun’s ramrod, provided the ramrod’s tips are pinned (so they don’t come off the ramrod when is down the barrel). A good rule of thumb for sizing your jag and cleaning patches is to find a combination where two patches and the cleaning jag will go down a CLEAN bore with little more than the weight of the ramrod. Then use just one patch for cleaning.

Guessing you have a bunch more suggestions on the way from others….

Don’t know why you are giving grief without even looking up what the OP has. Very similar to a CVA Bobcat Hunter. Good Rifle to start shooting BP with.
Was not giving grief. Asking as to what the rifle was. A quick google search turned up no CVA Lynx's.

I use a small hammer and flat screwdriver to gently tap out the barrel wedge to remove the barrel for cleaning.
A decent, not not expensive cleaning/range rod is a plus to have.

First things first. Is the gun loaded? As far as minimal tools for cleaning, a cleaning jag and some type of worm (to pull loose patches out of the bore) are almost a necessity, and a range rod with a bore protector is nice to have, although you can use a jag you attach to the gun’s ramrod, provided the ramrod’s tips are pinned (so they don’t come off the ramrod when is down the barrel). A good rule of thumb for sizing your jag and cleaning patches is to find a combination where two patches and the cleaning jag will go down a CLEAN bore with little more than the weight of the ramrod. Then use just one patch for cleaning.

Guessing you have a bunch more suggestions on the way from others….

Nope, checked that in the shop the other day when I first saw it and a unmentionable-line on the wall for what seemed good prices. Ram rod goes all the way down, almost entirely into the barrel. Compared w/ outer length, about where flash hole would be.

Was not giving grief. Asking as to what the rifle was. A quick google search turned up no CVA Lynx's.

No grief, no worries.

I also looked up the lynx and didn't find any info just like NorthFork.

Only thing I found with a very quick search was one sold in 2012 for $175 on some auction site/gun board.

But, barrel stamps don't lie.

1657401956714.png

Back