• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

First black powder rifle, headed to the range.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Haven't posted in a while but here is an update.
I have purchased everything I need to start casting my own rounds then took off for a month to Canada with the wife. Got home a week ago and cast my first batch of .577 Minie's. Have also purchased a few LBS of Olde Eynsford FFg. Went to the range yesterday all proud of myself. At 50 yards I couldn't hit the target. I mean I couldn't hit paper! I started out with the same load I used with the Goex FFFg and could not hit anything. The rounds I cast are within 10 grains of the same molded rounds I liked that I purchased from S&S. All of my rounds are within 1 or 2 grains of each other, all have been run through a sizer as well. I moved the target in to 30 yards and was able to to at least hit the stand, never consistent and certainly no grouping.
Also, after a couple rounds the barrel was so fouled I had to work to get the bullet down.
While waiting for the lead I purchased to arrive, I purchased 10# off a local guy. My thought is that the lead I purchased locally is too hard and not allowing the skirts to engage the rifling in the barrel. It seems that would explain the early and heavy fouling and the total unpredictability of the bullets. Thoughts?

If you switched from 3F to 2F powder you’d need to up your charge, based on what I’ve read on this forum, or the pressure created will not be the same. That could be part of your issue, but I’m unsure if it could/would have that drastic of an effect.

If you switched from 3F to 2F powder you’d need to up your charge, based on what I’ve read on this forum, or the pressure created will not be the same. That could be part of your issue, but I’m unsure if it could/would have that drastic of an effect.
My bad, I should have said that. I did start with the same load I used with the FFFg Goex. When I didn't see ANYTHING I increased the load by 10% and shot another 3 rounds each time. I got up to 70 grains and saw no changes.

Haven't posted in a while but here is an update.
I have purchased everything I need to start casting my own rounds then took off for a month to Canada with the wife. Got home a week ago and cast my first batch of .577 Minie's. Have also purchased a few LBS of Olde Eynsford FFg. Went to the range yesterday all proud of myself. At 50 yards I couldn't hit the target. I mean I couldn't hit paper! I started out with the same load I used with the Goex FFFg and could not hit anything. The rounds I cast are within 10 grains of the same molded rounds I liked that I purchased from S&S. All of my rounds are within 1 or 2 grains of each other, all have been run through a sizer as well. I moved the target in to 30 yards and was able to to at least hit the stand, never consistent and certainly no grouping.
Also, after a couple rounds the barrel was so fouled I had to work to get the bullet down.
While waiting for the lead I purchased to arrive, I purchased 10# off a local guy. My thought is that the lead I purchased locally is too hard and not allowing the skirts to engage the rifling in the barrel. It seems that would explain the early and heavy fouling and the total unpredictability of the bullets. Thoughts?
Maybe it was that 'wheel weight' type with tin in it. Good luck!

Did you manage to recover any shot bullets?
Where was the lube? There should be enough to keep things soft, unless it's not good enough.
I gave a shot at finding a round but no luck.
The rounds were all pan lubed prior to being run through the sizer. It's the same lube I've been using all along and haven't noticed an issue before.
I'm going out to clean my pot and cast new rounds with the lead that is supposed to be 99.9%. Then with luck out to the range tomorrow to give it another go.

Well it does appear that the lead I purchased from a local guy is harder than the lead I ordered. I really don't have a scientific method to test it, but rolling one of the first batch rounds off the bench onto the floor would not deform the skirt. Rolling a round from the second batch definitely deformed the skirt. I also took a pair of pliers and squeezed both rounds at the last lube ring. The first batch were difficult to deform, while the second batch were much easier. Also, the new batch are consistently 11 grains heaver. Hopefully I have solved the dilemma. Will find out tomorrow! The new stuff definitely looks different in the pot as well. Not nearly as much "clag" on the surface.

Last edited:
Problem solved! Set the target at 30 yards, 55 grains, 5 rounds in a 4" group. Moved out to 50 yards same powder load 5 shots, 8" group. Increased the load to 60 grains, 5 rounds 6" group still at 50 yards. POA is about 8" below POI, still on the center line at 50 yards, so that seems to be consistent with the "store bought" rounds.
Now that I'm self contained, I can make as much smoke as I want and develop a final powder load without having to rely on vendors having what I had been shooting, to what is currently available.

Back