• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

First bag from scratch.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

David Dalton

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I made the patterns and pretty much made it up as I went along. Happy with some things. Not so much with others. Not really pleased with the flap attachment. I only know what I learned from the TC Albert book. Any tips on making the upper flap area look so... Empty I guess is the word. I wasn't striving for HC. Kustbwanted it functional and it is that.

Attachments

• 20220914_222958_HDR.jpg
    20220914_222958_HDR.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 1
I made the patterns and pretty much made it up as I went along. Happy with some things. Not so much with others. Not really pleased with the flap attachment. I only know what I learned from the TC Albert book. Any tips on making the upper flap area look so... Empty I guess is the word. I wasn't striving for HC. Kustbwanted it functional and it is that.
Loos pretty good in the one view you've provided.
What don't you like about the flap attachment?

It's hard to put my finger on what I don't like aboutnthe attachment. It doesn"t want to lay straight and looks lopsided . I don't know if I attached it in the way it is normally done. I will try to get a pic.

That big rectangle just looks unfinished compared to the rest. Maybe extending the stitches all the way to the edge would break things up some. I do appreciate the encouraging words. Does anyone else darken their veg tan in the sun? I hate working with stains.

Attachments

• 20220916_103417.jpg
    20220916_103417.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
That big rectangle just looks unfinished compared to the rest. Maybe extending the stitches all the way to the edge would break things up some. I do appreciate the encouraging words. Does anyone else darken their veg tan in the sun? I hate working with stains.
I like to darken mine in the sun occasionally, it’s always interesting to see what color comes out.
This is what I do with the upper parts of my lids, I feel that it’s a good way to make it feel less empty.

Attachments

• 0AFD9F2B-AEAF-48EA-8FE3-2B66EC3ADC0B.jpeg
    0AFD9F2B-AEAF-48EA-8FE3-2B66EC3ADC0B.jpeg
    49 KB · Views: 0
  • C769378B-007D-4C54-AFA5-63D6A4ED7D57.jpeg
    C769378B-007D-4C54-AFA5-63D6A4ED7D57.jpeg
    47.5 KB · Views: 0
  • C5F45E83-FB85-46A6-A0EB-68F019AFB62C.jpeg
    C5F45E83-FB85-46A6-A0EB-68F019AFB62C.jpeg
    48.8 KB · Views: 0
  • 7D30F438-878E-4258-8AC9-3CEF129AB50D.jpeg
    7D30F438-878E-4258-8AC9-3CEF129AB50D.jpeg
    119.1 KB · Views: 0
Okay. I guess I see where you're coming from.
In this pic,
162652-20220916-103417.jpg

How far up behind the folded over piece does the flap come? Could you unstitch it, cut the upper piece back to the current stitch line and ad the scalloped picking shown in the previous post along that edge, then reattach the flap closer to the fold?

Depending on your use, range work or hunting, there is another option that will break up that open rectangular field. But, it will keep the flap closed over the bag more. Great for hunting,,, maybe not great if you need a lot of frequent bag access.
I personally don't like fold over flaps and usually sew my flap piece flat to the top of the bag's back panel with a narrow rectangle of thin leather folded over the top covering the two exposed edges and seam, sewn right through all pieces.
Or,,,,, and this is my suggestion for your bag,,, sew a good stitch line right across the folded over piece just below the fold. This helps reduce the open void at the ends of the folded over and helps keep the bag closed when moving around.
It will also break up that plain area.

Hopefully these pics will explain better. In this case, the flap piece was sewn to the back panel in line with that panel, then folded over, and sewn into that folded position.

20210119_164033.jpg
20210120_100302.jpg

20210120_105815.jpg

That's the back view (bag has not been "turned" yet, still inside out) after attachment then folding and sewing again,
This is the front, notice only the one stitch line shows in front, yours will show two, but that's okay,
20210120_105806.jpg

20210127_234111.jpg

Bag has been "turned." That closed fold holds a vent pick nicely.

20210227_184136.jpg

You could even combine both ideas, move the flap high under the folded over piece, then stitch across just under the fold. This will let you narrow that open area, scallop (also called pinking) the edge, and break up that blank rectangle with the stitch line near the fold.

I'm sorry I can't explain either idea better.

Dimarco: That looks great. Might be too late for this bag, but I will keep in mind for the future. Brokennock.. That is most helpful. Thanks for taking the time. I wish I had this info. before I started. But maybe the lessons sink in better this way. I am really enjoying the process though. When I am working on a bag I am only thinking about making a bag. That's a good thing sometimes.

A question please Brokenock. Is The trim on the edge of the flap the flap edge turned and sewn or a strip bent and sewn through on both sides of the flap? I used a strip. Their is a wealth of video game info. On the web, but not much on bag making. I just guessed my way through a lot of this. Glad you guys are around.

A question please Brokenock. Is The trim on the edge of the flap the flap edge turned and sewn or a strip bent and sewn through on both sides of the flap? I used a strip. Their is a wealth of video game info. On the web, but not much on bag making. I just guessed my way through a lot of this. Glad you guys are around.
I used a strip of even thinner leather dyed darker in advance.
The rest of the bag is not dyed by the way. I wet molded it around a plastic bag full of bird shot to stretch it and give it some volume and then just gave it a coat of neatsfoot oil then some mink oil, some beeswax melted into the seams.

I used a strip of even thinner leather dyed darker in advance.
The rest of the bag is not dyed by the way. I wet molded it around a plastic bag full of bird shot to stretch it and give it some volume and then just gave it a coat of neatsfoot oil then some mink oil, some beeswax melted into the seams.
Thank you sir. It looks great.

nothing wrong with it! I would be proud to have & use it.

Latest posts

Back