• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

First attempted using Schuetzen 3fg

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
....In my .32 flintlock smr.

I was invited to a post-Thanksgiving wood's walk which was to be 15 shots all from the pouch. While preparing my gear I found my horn to be empty which is usually filled with Goex 3fg. This past summer I bought a mixed case of powder and there was no Goex 3fg to be had so I went ahead and got Schuetzen instead. I thought it would be a good time to try it so into the horn it goes.

The load was 1 1/2 (.310") buckshot patched with bear oil lubed ticking (.022") ahead of 30 grains by volume 3fg Schuetzen and like I had previously mentioned that would have normally been Goex. I was priming with Swiss Null B. The first loading wasn't difficult at all and once started went down easy enough with the gun's rammer. First shot there was a slight hang. Next loading was a little harder and by the third shot I couldn't get the ball any further than about 8" ahead of the breech. I finally was able to tap it down using a big chunk of wood. Before my 4th shot I excused myself to retrieve my steel range rod from my truck and decided that I'd better wipe with a damp patch....Boy!.... all I can say was that it was nasty dirty. To make a long story short, I finished the walk and came to a few conclusions. The powder produced way more fowling than my usual Goex. Maybe this could have been remedied by wiping between shots but I just hate doing this when I've never had to do it before. Lastly, I had a distinct perception of a slight slow fire on most all my shots.

I'm not intending on making this a Schuetzen bashing thread because it's my first try at using it and maybe I just need to learn how to manage it. I'm just wondering if anyone else has experienced this and what if anything can be done to make it a little better.
Not trying to be smart butt But sounds like you should have clean goex out of your firearm before shooting. I dont have any problems shooting run a alcohol patch. Schuetzen powder

I reckon old men get stuck in a rut and ignore anything that tends to steer them away from their beloved rut. I'm one of those. I have never NOT swabbed between shots unless the need for a second shot was immediate. Swabbing for me is one wet and two dry.

I've shot nothing but Schutzen 3Fg thru my .54 and have had no issues, plenty of shots (20+) w/o swabbing. Shooting a mix of balls (.530 w/ a unknown but thinner than 0.015 patch) and maxis over 50 to 110gr of powder, using bore butter for lube (it was very liquid-y in the 90 degree heat and humidity).

Not really apples to bananas comparison since I'm running a much bigger bore, but there ya go

....In my .32 flintlock smr.

I was invited to a post-Thanksgiving wood's walk which was to be 15 shots all from the pouch. While preparing my gear I found my horn to be empty which is usually filled with Goex 3fg. This past summer I bought a mixed case of powder and there was no Goex 3fg to be had so I went ahead and got Schuetzen instead. I thought it would be a good time to try it so into the horn it goes.

The load was 1 1/2 (.310") buckshot patched with bear oil lubed ticking (.022") ahead of 30 grains by volume 3fg Schuetzen and like I had previously mentioned that would have normally been Goex. I was priming with Swiss Null B. The first loading wasn't difficult at all and once started went down easy enough with the gun's rammer. First shot there was a slight hang. Next loading was a little harder and by the third shot I couldn't get the ball any further than about 8" ahead of the breech. I finally was able to tap it down using a big chunk of wood. Before my 4th shot I excused myself to retrieve my steel range rod from my truck and decided that I'd better wipe with a damp patch....Boy!.... all I can say was that it was nasty dirty. To make a long story short, I finished the walk and came to a few conclusions. The powder produced way more fowling than my usual Goex. Maybe this could have been remedied by wiping between shots but I just hate doing this when I've never had to do it before. Lastly, I had a distinct perception of a slight slow fire on most all my shots.

I'm not intending on making this a Schuetzen bashing thread because it's my first try at using it and maybe I just need to learn how to manage it. I'm just wondering if anyone else has experienced this and what if anything can be done to make it a little better.
I commented on Schuetzen powder earlier in this stream. I bought 10 lbs. recently when powder became scarce and went to the range soon after for a comparison to Goex and OE. Dirtier and less power per grain. 25-50 yds, not noticeable, but at 100 yds, 60 grains Goex and OE, 70 grains Schuetzen. Hard to believe the same company makes Swiss. I’ve begun seating my patched ball with a damp patch to remove any fouling in the barrel. I do not swab the empty barrel.

I have always shot Goex in my bp guns.

However I did start shooting Swiss fffg in my .36 & .32.

It seemed too shoot cleaner than fffg Goex making reloading the small bores easier.

So many conflicting reports about effectiveness and fouling between the two propellants. Maybe preconceived notions slant reported results.

Latest posts

Back