• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

First attempted using Schuetzen 3fg

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
....In my .32 flintlock smr.

I was invited to a post-Thanksgiving wood's walk which was to be 15 shots all from the pouch. While preparing my gear I found my horn to be empty which is usually filled with Goex 3fg. This past summer I bought a mixed case of powder and there was no Goex 3fg to be had so I went ahead and got Schuetzen instead. I thought it would be a good time to try it so into the horn it goes.

The load was 1 1/2 (.310") buckshot patched with bear oil lubed ticking (.022") ahead of 30 grains by volume 3fg Schuetzen and like I had previously mentioned that would have normally been Goex. I was priming with Swiss Null B. The first loading wasn't difficult at all and once started went down easy enough with the gun's rammer. First shot there was a slight hang. Next loading was a little harder and by the third shot I couldn't get the ball any further than about 8" ahead of the breech. I finally was able to tap it down using a big chunk of wood. Before my 4th shot I excused myself to retrieve my steel range rod from my truck and decided that I'd better wipe with a damp patch....Boy!.... all I can say was that it was nasty dirty. To make a long story short, I finished the walk and came to a few conclusions. The powder produced way more fowling than my usual Goex. Maybe this could have been remedied by wiping between shots but I just hate doing this when I've never had to do it before. Lastly, I had a distinct perception of a slight slow fire on most all my shots.

I'm not intending on making this a Schuetzen bashing thread because it's my first try at using it and maybe I just need to learn how to manage it. I'm just wondering if anyone else has experienced this and what if anything can be done to make it a little better.

Got to work with what you have.
If it needs better fouling management then that is what is required.
So how about a damp with a natural oil felt wad rammed first?
It wipes the bore some before the patched ball and injects oil into the fowled barrel on firing.

That aside, are you sure the breech was completely devoid of oil before shooting?

I was invited to a post-Thanksgiving wood's walk which was to be 15 shots all from the pouch. While preparing my gear I found my horn to be empty which is usually filled with Goex 3fg. This past summer I bought a mixed case of powder and there was no Goex 3fg to be had so I went ahead and got Schuetzen instead. I thought it would be a good time to try it so into the horn it goes.

The load was 1 1/2 (.310") buckshot patched with bear oil lubed ticking (.022") ahead of 30 grains by volume 3fg Schuetzen and like I had previously mentioned that would have normally been Goex. I was priming with Swiss Null B. The first loading wasn't difficult at all and once started went down easy enough with the gun's rammer. First shot there was a slight hang. Next loading was a little harder and by the third shot I couldn't get the ball any further than about 8" ahead of the breech. I finally was able to tap it down using a big chunk of wood. Before my 4th shot I excused myself to retrieve my steel range rod from my truck and decided that I'd better wipe with a damp patch....Boy!.... all I can say was that it was nasty dirty. To make a long story short, I finished the walk and came to a few conclusions. The powder produced way more fowling than my usual Goex. Maybe this could have been remedied by wiping between shots but I just hate doing this when I've never had to do it before. Lastly, I had a distinct perception of a slight slow fire on most all my shots.

I'm not intending on making this a Schuetzen bashing thread because it's my first try at using it and maybe I just need to learn how to manage it. I'm just wondering if anyone else has experienced this and what if anything can be done to make it a little better.
Them guys across the pond love that stuff. I'll be giving it a whirl at some point, I'm sure.

Over time Goex became cleaner with better charcoal (being pressured by Swiss sales).
Over further time, Goex completed a broad charcoal testing program and then
introduced Old Eynsford, a premium powder to compete with Swiss. Wano Germany
produces most powders used in Europe. Scheutzen is similar to early Goex, which is
medium fouling. I would recommend buying all the black you can get from any source
providing it is made under a good Brand. Wano powder founded in antiquity is somehow
connected to Scheutzen & Swiss- maybe as owner or partner.

Last edited:
I haven’t seen any issues with Scheutzen fouling. I used to shoot Old E but I’m liking Swiss better

I shoot Schuetzen Reenactment powder mostly while it was cheap. Now will change back to sporting powder. No different than Goex imho. I don't like Swiss but Null B. Too much graphite build up which is hard and too expensive.
Consistent bore only works with quick wiping between shots, because of lack of crud ring build up.
I assume OP did not foul his barrel prior to shooting. Then, there is the wiping patch. Lots of them fit too tight and shove fouling down instead of picking it up on the way out.
Also remember, that temperatures outside are lower now and everything contracts in lower temps.

My experience is no decteble difference between Goex and Schuetzen. I'm a big believer in swabbing between shots. That will help. A small caliber like yours can contribute to fouling build-up also. Good luck.
Since I bought a closet full of the stuff last month I'll be finding out how it shoots when the OE runs out - sometime late next year maybe....

No difference at all from N AZ where we lack humidity. Just got some OE to try and have a half a can of Elephant gifted by an old timer. I'm a swabber for accuracy sake on most guns most days but every day aint the same.

Shot my .32 Crockett last week with both Schuetzen 3f (20 grains) and Pyrodex P (25 grains). Payload was a .310 swagged ball wrapped in .010 pre-lubed patch. Loaded very easy and no extra fouling noticed. I wiped with an alcohol swab after the first five with the Schuetzen and then after 10 more with the Pyrodex. Now this was a pretty loose load, very easy to start and ram. I found my .315 balls last night ad will try them this weekend, I think I need a tighter load for best accuracy.

My experience with Scheutzen was that the fouling was what I would describe as "drier" which made it stickier to load consecutive shots (for me). Otherwise I got the same performance as I do with Goex. It was not any dirtier or harder to clean.

On a woods walk, or anywhere else that you don't have a real long time between shots, try using a patch that's soggy with spit. I put a precut patch in my mouth while I'm adding the powder. I can shoot a whole match without difficult loading. I do have to wipe after a relay or the fouling will set up hard before the next relay begins. This is with Goex 3F in my 32. Never tried Swiss but I hear that it leaves harder fouling.

Years ago I was talked into buying Schuetzen. A friend bought some also. Didnt notice it was any dirtier, but didn’t have the same power, grain for grain. Ended up having to shoot 20 extra grains for comparible shot with Goex. My friend experienced the same. Went back and spoke to the seller, he admitted he had had similar complaints, but thought Schuetzen had corrected it. Haven’t tried any since.

Is commercially made buck shot pure lead ? I have always suspected it had a hardener in it .
When Elephant was available we used to leave the tins in the sun with the lid off , surprising how much moisture was lost . We also used to "sock" it , this involved putting ½ lb of powder in a pure cotton sports sock , then shaking it about , all the fines and graphite got stuck in the sock , the sock was then washed and reused , This made the powder more consistent burning and more accurate and fouled less .

I'm getting my shot from Ballistic Products which I'm assuming has a small amount of antimony present in it. Once started at the muzzle it usually pushes down without a hitch. As far as accuracy is concerned, I always thought it would shoot where pointed if I do my part. Here's a target I shot with my other .32 flintlock rifle several years ago using "0" shot and Goex 3fg. The last shot was a nine and I remember calling it a little low. I was really on my game back then. 100_0296.jpg

Back