• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

First attempt

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I try very hard not to get into historical correctness as long as it's made with materials available in the time frame who knows what some Cogger made sitting on his front porch.

Shucks, back in my early days of no money, I'd go into the thrift stores and buy up lady's leather purses (especially those from Mexico with the broad leather straps laced around the edges), take them apart and re-bind them with the rough leather out. Often times to cover up the pictures of flowers painted on them. I still have one I use to this day for my shotgun pouch as it holds a lot of manure. Period for the day was what they could find which often wasn't pretty, but useful.

Sorry, I'm not trying to start and argument or imply that anybody is wrong. To clarify what I was trying to say was that back in the day, people often used what they could find as long as they could make it work. They made pretty much all of their own stuff. Likening it to todays world, there are a lot of household items that we can make work, for example, affixing a modern rifle casing to the lid of a powder can for a spout. Myself, I prefer items that "look" period, but for the sake of going shooting for the afternoon, I drive myself out in my modern car, take out my modern rangefinder and spotting scope, set up my modern rifle rest and begin the process of sighting in my antique muzzle loading firearm. Although, now that it was mentioned, I sometime do wish I could be HG Wells for the day to travel back in time. The first person I would like to meet is George Armstrong Custer. I would like to straiten out his thinking that warm June afternoon.

Last edited:
Sorry, I'm not trying to start and argument or imply that anybody is wrong. To clarify what I was trying to say was that back in the day, people often used what they could find as long as they could make it work. They made pretty much all of their own stuff. Likening it to todays world, there are a lot of household items that we can make work, for example, affixing a modern rifle casing to the lid of a powder can for a spout. Myself, I prefer items that "look" period, but for the sake of going shooting for the afternoon, I drive myself out in my modern car, take out my modern rangefinder and spotting scope, set up my modern rifle rest and begin the process of sighting in my antique muzzle loading firearm. Although, now that it was mentioned, I sometime do wish I could be HG Wells for the day to travel back in time. The first person I would like to meet is George Armstrong Custer. I would like to straiten out his thinking that warm June afternoon.
Sorry I wasn't directing that post about you it was to you about the person that said me and the guy were "WRONG" he's the one with the time machine. I agree with your thinking 100%, the OP was about a shooting bag which anyone could have made with what ever was available. The only thing in my mind that we can say "yes this is the way they did it" would be firearms because not just everyone could produce one.

Don't need a time machine. We have period paintings, 1st hand period writings, run away and deserter descriptions, invoices for shipping and trade, on and on and on.
(Oh, but this my take some effort and reading beyond the immediate gratification of the internet)
Yet we are constantly stymied by thus notion that we can't possibly have any idea what was and wasn't. Bolstered by the ridiculous notion that if it was made of leather, wood, or linen, someone must have made ______ (pick your item) that way if at all.
This makes togas and leather motorcycle chaps period correct for the Wyoming Valley of Pennsylvania in 1763 I guess.

Wait a minute, weren't some of the old men and boys of the 24th Connecticut that were cut down in the Wyoming Massacre wearing togas? Just playing.
Your point is well made, though we also have to keep open minds to finding new examples, descriptions, etc. I say this only because I argued with a military historian about the uniforms worn by a unit I served in when that unit fought in the Civil War. He was convinced of dress right dress uniform standards and exact button counts and such, until I showed him pics from our unit museum. It isn't that he was wrong, it was that Soldiers made due as their service continued. Not every uniform looked the same after a year of service. All this to say, we shouldn't simply say something is possible so it must have but rather as the post above suggests we need to research to see what can be found and have an open mind about it.

Sorry I wasn't directing that post about you it was to you about the person that said me and the guy were "WRONG" he's the one with the time machine. I agree with your thinking 100%, the OP was about a shooting bag which anyone could have made with what ever was available. The only thing in my mind that we can say "yes this is the way they did it" would be firearms because not just everyone could produce one.
My bad...I misread the post. :)

Don't need a time machine. We have period paintings, 1st hand period writings, run away and deserter descriptions, invoices for shipping and trade, on and on and on.
(Oh, but this my take some effort and reading beyond the immediate gratification of the internet)
Yet we are constantly stymied by thus notion that we can't possibly have any idea what was and wasn't. Bolstered by the ridiculous notion that if it was made of leather, wood, or linen, someone must have made ______ (pick your item) that way if at all.
This makes togas and leather motorcycle chaps period correct for the Wyoming Valley of Pennsylvania in 1763 I guess.
Yes your the one I directed the time machine comment to, you act as if somehow you were there and saw these things "WRONG". This thread was started by someone who made a leather shooting bag. Just because we have period paintings and some historical data doesn't mean we have even close to all the info. Do you think your the only person here that reads?, or was born before the internet even existed? The toga and chaps comment is totally off base and when you invent a time machine and come back maybe we'll talk about the facts.

Yes your the one I directed the time machine comment to, you act as if somehow you were there and saw these things "WRONG". This thread was started by someone who made a leather shooting bag. Just because we have period paintings and some historical data doesn't mean we have even close to all the info. Do you think your the only person here that reads?, or was born before the internet even existed? The toga and chaps comment is totally off base and when you invent a time machine and come back maybe we'll talk about the facts.
How is it off base? By your logic, and many like you, as long as it is made of material available in the period, it must be correct. Togas predate out period, motorcycle chaos are made of leather, must be reasonable that someone wore both,,,, by your logic.
Let me know when you come up with some "facts" you can actually support.

And, if you read the whole thread, I never knocked the o.p. or his bag.
I really don't care if someone makes or uses historically correct gear and clothing or not. I do care when people make lazy excuses for claiming something is historically accurate and thus mislead people and perpetuate bad, inaccurate, information.
If someone wants to use a 1960s leather purse, or placed together Tandy shoulder bag as their shot pouch, great, go for it,,,,, but don't tell people it's "just like the minute men/Daniel Boone/the "longhunters," etc. etc., carried.

As someone who HAS done a lot of research and reading, I can quite honestly say that I have never seen every single piece of leather work or horn work or every firearm accoutrement made since the dawn of time. So I cant possibly pass judgement on what was or was not made or used.

But I'm fairly certain there were no motorcycle chaps worn in the 1800's.

Did they have Toga parties..........;)
Just out of curiosity is that a weeping heart on your shooting bag. I've made some with fleur-de-lis inserts and have considered a weeping heart.
It's a form of a weeping heart. It's a maker's mark or tote of a very good friend of mine.

And of course they had toga parties!!

I have a few things that were made for me by friends that are among my most cherished possessions. I recently started doing some leather working so Ive been making alot of tool sheaths for my leather working knives. Now that I have a couple projects under my belt , I thought I'd take a crack at something for my wife. First, I wanted it to be something I had not seen before. Second, I wanted it to be useful. My wife has also been my riding buddy for 35 years so I got her these slick little Ray Ban folding glasses so I made her a belt pouch she could carry them in. Let me know what you think
KIMG0043.JPG

1631107897922.jpg

1631120925223.jpg

Back