• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

First attempt

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Captain Rob

36 Cl.
Reaction score
My first possibles bag. Buffalo hide. Not accurate to any time period but seems pretty functional.

Attachments

• 7ED2D7EC-46D7-4796-A13F-FD44C5CA7D65.jpeg
    7ED2D7EC-46D7-4796-A13F-FD44C5CA7D65.jpeg
    174.2 KB · Views: 178
Looks well made, I like the leather. Can we see the back, inside, maybe some stitching details?

You'll make others...
I will get som pics in a bit and post. I already want to make another one. This one was very thick hide, 10 oz.

How do you reckon accurate to any time period came about. Did a group of hunters get in a huddle and state that this or that pertains to this time period?
I always hear folks complaining about period correctness so I thought I would head off the comments, I guess it didn't work.

I always hear folks complaining about period correctness so I thought I would head off the comments, I guess it didn't work.

PC is one of those things where it matters completely to some and not at all to some and the other point of view is hard to get your mind around. If I was representing the ‘70’s I’d wear bell bottoms but just because I have a 1970 Chevelle doesn’t mean it has to have fuzzy dice hanging from the rear view.

Looks well made, I like the leather. Can we see the back, inside, maybe some stitching details?

You'll make others...
145047E1-CA40-4B40-BD2E-CF0F09167914.jpeg
F253C455-F849-4416-B897-3D892F17AAE8.jpeg
CE5F7DAA-345A-4D11-BADB-8205543F3D9A.jpeg
Here are some more pics. Back, front and inside. The main part is machine sewn, the front pocket is hand sewn. After sewing it I decided to use the machine. Again, 10oz Buffalo. It was not e
I like the different look of that leather - You've done well, Pilgrim..... 👌
Thank you

No pun was intended, in fact I appreciate the history, fortunately, we have historical paintings and sketches from which to judge.
I only wish I had the skill that your first effort produced when I made a first attempt. That buffalo hide looks interesting and long lasting. Is the size about 7"x8"?
The question I have is the leather hard on the hands to get to contents? Reason I ask:: built one out of heavy cow hide in my first attempt and it was robust and stout but a real booger on the back of the hand going in after contents. Thanks, and well, this is sort of a commenting bunch.

Last edited:
Looks pretty good to me. I’m impressed that you have a machine to do some of the sewing with 10oz leather. I’m still quite the amateur and all of my leather sewing is by hand. In part because I wanted to learn that method and duplicate “old school,” but also because I don’t have a machine heavy enough for the job!

No pun was intended, in fact I appreciate the history, fortunately, we have historical paintings and sketches from which to judge.
I only wish I had the skill that your first effort produced when I made a first attempt. That buffalo hide looks interesting and long lasting. Is the size about 7"x8"?
The question I have is the leather hard on the hands to get to contents? Reason I ask:: built one out of heavy cow hide in my first attempt and it was robust and stout but a real booger on the back of the hand going in after contents. Thanks, and well, this is sort of a commenting bunch.
IO have only taken it out once, It seems easy to get to stuff. I try to take a minimal amount to the field when I go. I t ended up abut 9"x7" finished. The Buffalo hide was soft but thick. The grain side is pretty tough to so I think it will out last me by a long shot.

Looks pretty good to me. I’m impressed that you have a machine to do some of the sewing with 10oz leather. I’m still quite the amateur and all of my leather sewing is by hand. In part because I wanted to learn that method and duplicate “old school,” but also because I don’t have a machine heavy enough for the job!
I do leathercraft and was hand sewing stuff because I only made stuff for me, but about 8 months ago, a friend asked me to make him a ccw belt. I did, then he showed it to friends etc. I had folks asking me to make them a belt. It was crazy, so I bought a Cowboy 4500 sewing machine. it is made to make saddles with. Now it seems I have a side business I never intended to have but it gives me some pocket money to buy muzzleloaders with LOL.

Let ya in on a little secret, if you haven't already, and unless you want a full time job in leather, don't start making holsters.
Too late lol. I work my "real" job from 8-5 then take about an hour and get dinner with the wife, then head to the workshop until about 9:30 making holsters and belts. It will be a good retirement gig I think but I try to keep it at a minimum.

View attachment 57363View attachment 57364View attachment 57365Here are some more pics. Back, front and inside. The main part is machine sewn, the front pocket is hand sewn. After sewing it I decided to use the machine. Again, 10oz Buffalo. It was not e

Thank you
Looks pretty cool in general. Putting aside period or historical issues.
The biggest potential problem I see is the rivets holding the strap. These are going to fail at some point.
If you were able to sew the pockets on by hand, and all else, you could have sewn these. Straps only need a couple lines if stitch, running parallel to the long edges, NOT across the strap. Four more 1 to 1.5 inch stitch lines instead of those rivets would finish that up real nice.

I assume your pc/hc content refers to the rivets and the strap across the front to hold it closed. You may be right. But, that closure strap is a good idea if not concerned about historical accuracy. It would be less noticeable, and maybe more functional, if you attach it at each end with dark colored buttons instead of rivets. You could then potentially attach and detach other items to the buttons as well.
Knife sheath maybe,?
20210105_150418.jpg20210105_150448.jpg

Historical accuracy may be my interest more so than yours or others, but over all, I like it.

Back