• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

First attempt at a pewter nose cap

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Commodore Swab

Blunderbuss Builder
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Most everything I do is early enough that it does not require a nose cap. However, this very early conversion did have one (the original) so I've attempted to try to pour one. There is still a bit of shaping to do but I think its turned out pretty decent.
20160711_180923.jpg

That looks great -- you did a fine pour -- you are now an expert :) :) .

To pour bronze you need to adjust the alloy, I add varying % of silver to the metal to get it to flow when I do investment casting.

I've poured bronze before, personally as much as 25-30 pounds. Working with a friend 2-300. For larger pieces (lost wax) silicon bronze was used.

Hi C. Swab I admire your skills and the pictures you post are pretty cool. I've seen large pours happen but never actually handled the crucible. My experience lies mainly with investment casting for jewelry open crucible and hand held torches and small sand casting. I have recently been experimenting with red bronze and found flow problems as the metal has a tendancy to cool too rapidly. I resolved the problem by adding silver to the mix. I found anything over 10% to change the color , 3% is the minimum amount to begin increasing the flowability of the pour.

Thanks for the reply, are these more yellow or is there a red silicon bronze. In my experience there lots of subtle variations in alloys and they seem to vary from one supplier to another. Which ones do you like and have you succeed most consistent results with.

Back