• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

First Atempts at horns

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Daryl Crawford

50 Cal.
Reaction score
Finished a day horn. Wax finished, viking loom woven strap. Nothing fancy but it's mine!

Attachments

• 20200315_121610.jpg
    20200315_121610.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 163
  • 20200315_121547.jpg
    20200315_121547.jpg
    148.5 KB · Views: 168
@S.Kenton set me up with it and some advice. Scraper, knife, 2 files, and sandpaper later and it works for me. I may yet look to get a brass filling plug to make filling or emptying easier. I need to put a retainer on the plug and may mount a pin in it for clearing touch holes.

Great strap on that nice horn. I may try something like that strap on my next one.
I'm just starting at this but could see myself working up a few others. After all my son needs one, my buddy I just introduced to black powder needs one....

Great strap on that nice horn. I may try something like that strap on my next one.
I'm just starting at this but could see myself working up a few others. After all my son needs one, my buddy I just introduced to black powder needs one....
Only other one I have is a day horn I made around 45 years ago.
20191122_171432.jpg
Put the leather on it about same time I made the other. Not so pretty but not bad for a horn I found in a field.

@S.Kenton set me up with it and some advice. Scraper, knife, 2 files, and sandpaper later and it works for me. I may yet look to get a brass filling plug to make filling or emptying easier. I need to put a retainer on the plug and may mount a pin in it for clearing touch holes.
That turned out pretty good daryl! Be careful it gets addicting! Another thing you can do on the next horn, or even this one if you desired, is to grab up some fieblings dark brown, light brown or black and mix your desired color and dye the entire horn with it, then you can card it back and see what you think. You can do this to the base plug as well as pour spout plug. The wooden pieces can be buffed back to a nice low luster shine. It’s just somthing I like to do to finish off my horns.. you may not care for it. If that’s the case, your horn looks good enough without it!
Again, good job!
Kary

Great looking horns, gentlemen! I took a horn from my childhood and made it actually usable. A simple start and not much change from the original, but it works.

UndeadPoet

Attachments

• 4B762D96-9927-4E39-96C3-5B5C1BEECA59.jpeg
    4B762D96-9927-4E39-96C3-5B5C1BEECA59.jpeg
    81 KB · Views: 71
Back