• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

First 100 yard 3fg Test

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Frontier's

Buckskins & Black Powder
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Got out to just mess around with some Gearhart Owen 3fg in my .54cal St.Louis Hawken. I used 80gr 3fg GO, .020" patch and .530 round ball. I swabbed the bore with with water dampened patches ( 2 wet - 2 dry - Fired 2 caps to clear/dry drum out ) The powder drop tube once again was used with great success and had zero ignition issues despite using a sloppier patch to clean the bore between shots. Next time I will put up different targets for each test I do. I was trying 12 O clock hold, Mid hold and 6 O'clock hold. Mid hold in the bullseye seemed to work best for me on this 4" red bullseye. Heck, I even took 3 shots and was thrilled till I took #3 and blew it out. I'm sure it was me just getting the rear sight out of adjustment just a bit. Without swabbing, reloading wasn't an issue and seems like it will group great.

Hopefully this weekend I can run out across to New Mexico and try some 200 yard targets now that I have my loads figured out and a drop sheet printed out.

All the shots are color coded.
IMG_0664.JPG

IMG_0662.JPG

You must still have good eyesight to see that 4"bull at 100 yards and be able to discern a 12:00, Mid and 6:00 hold. AT 100 yards I see a slightly fuzzy black circle and aim for what I think is the center. If I can get all shots in the scoring rings it's a good day.

Back