• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Firing the ramrod down range.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I did it once, back in the 1980's with a .40 cal long rifle. I had just finished loading it and the range master at the line called for a cease fire because of an issue. I put my ramrod down the barrel to tell me that it was fully loaded and waited. Several of us struck up a conversation and when the range was declared "hot" I failed to remove the ramrod and fired. Yes, there was a distinct kick and I was never able to find it. Never again!

It would also cause you to ruin a perfectly good pair of underwear!
and it will chip your teeth & split the stock when fired out on top of a 75CAL, RB! don't ask me how I know?

I’ve got the brass jag around here somewhere.
I too had a brass cleaning brush come un screwed and could not thread it back on to the cleaning rod. so I unscrewed the nipple and put #4 BP, under it and busted a cap. well it came out never to be found. well I did not rely go and look for it.

Don’t know about the shooters here but the two places I shoot, a member ship club in RI and a county run range in FL, black powder shooters are a rarity. I shoot revolvers mostly and a curious person or two each visit is normal. Most just stand back and look some want to ask questions.

Part of the N-SSA lore is the team that decided to all shoot their ramrods in a volley at the sound of the horn. Positively wrecked the pigeon board.
Yea one of my teammates got distracted at a N-SSa match in the EN region.fired his original ramrod out of his H&P. Hit the 6,7,8,9,10,X10,9,8,7,6ring nope no metals. We found the rod . A machine took it home straightens it out couldn’t tell it was ever bent. Made him a miniature one. So now at the beginning of the SB match you will hear passed down the line the call for RAMROD OUT!
Ps See you all at the nationals

it did happen to me once, but not in the way you might think, I was sage grouse hunting with my pedersoli double 12. going around the rim of a depression, I jumped 2 by a small pile of rocks, I dropped the first bird and leveled on the 2nd bird, when I fired, not only did the bird fold, but it seemed some idiot was shooting at my bird with a twig flipper! Upon investigation, it seems the recoil from the first shot had loosened the ramrod and sent it forward a few inches, and the blast from the 2nd shot caught the extended lip of the ramrod and sent it downrange, it didn't miss the bird by much. there was no damage to the ramrod, but I added provisions to make the rod tighter in its storage mode so as not see an "arrow" heading for my target in the future.

Two what if's. What if there was enough time to reload while the doe's ear was pinned to a tree? Throw ball onto palm of hand, cover with black powder. Dump powder down muzzle. Wet ball with spit and push down bore. Tap the butt on the ground. Prime and shoot. Another what if. What if Clark Gable's shoulder arm had a large touch hole and he sparked the lock without priming in the pan but jiggled the hot metal spark to jump into the touch hole? Don Wright fiction novel The Captives may have described such a shot or maybe from another novel. We staged a mock ambush on the soldiers at Ft. Osage with blank loads and no ramrods. That way, no chance of accidentally shooting one at another reenactor. I heard of whaling ships using cannons to shoot harpoons at the intended prey. They make some air rifles that shoot arrows. Not legal in muzzle loading season or archery season in most states. I thought most false muzzles had a big peg on top to show the shooter that the false muzzle was still in place.

Saw a wooden rod unintentionally launched at a m/l target shoot. The rod hit the corner of the 25 yd. target backer and shattered into two pieces. The accident was witnessed by about 25 shooters and many just couldn't let the miscreant shooter forget.:D

Clark Gable shot a ramrod in a mountain man flick, as did Charlton Heston or Brian Keith in “Mountain Men”. In real life, getting distracted during loading has caused 2 or 3 rods to be sent downrange at clubs I’ve shot with. Ballistics are expectedly lousy but the rods can penetrate plywood backers, and metal (CW) rods can get turned into corkscrews. Felt recoil is reportedly unpleasant.
Yes, it is! I only know this by what some other fella told me...yes um m hummm.😙🙄

We made him write up his thoughts after he shot it and have pics of him holding the remnants that will go on display at his home. If we had a clubhouse it would e on display there i guarantee. This was in a novelty match we had a few months ago.

* Well let me recollect the event…

I was having a hard time hitting the charcoal brick in the middle and it flustered me to agitation. With that on my mind, I loaded up and, for the first time ever in all my years of shooting BP, left the ramrod in the barrel. We’re all busy loading and shooting the breeze and watching others, so no one noticed.

I took aim at the middle charcoal brick. I squeezed off the round. The kick ‘may’ have been more than usual, but I was focused on hitting the darned charcoal brick and witnessed instead not only the survival of the brick once again, but the destruction of the stand. I was gobsmacked wondering how I could possibly have been off by that much.

Immediately after the shot I noticed my left support hand felt an empty ramrod tube. I looked and declared, “I shot my ramrod!” Yet, in my mind, I was in denial that I shot my ramrod, but the evidence was clear. I looked at the loading bench just to be sure I did not leave it there. I noticed someone else’s ramrod, probably Bob’s, and I looked at it closely wanting badly for it to be my ramrod. But no, the Fates rested their case. I shot my ramrod. I was mortified.

Looking downrange after the incident, I noticed a black elongated scar on the right vertical support leg of the stand – more evidence of the unseemly. I shot my ramrod. I felt my face turn scarlet. The shame of it all.

we changed the title of the match from novelty match to the william tell match in his honor.

Don’t know about the shooters here but the two places I shoot, a member ship club in RI and a county run range in FL, black powder shooters are a rarity. I shoot revolvers mostly and a curious person or two each visit is normal. Most just stand back and look some want to ask questions.
I too belong to a MEMBERSHIP CLUB in RI. SCR&GC. do you go to the state run range at GREAT SWAMP to shoot?

I too belong to a MEMBERSHIP CLUB in RI. SCR&GC. do you go to the state run range at GREAT SWAMP to shoot?
Hey there:
No, hunted that area years ago before I retired. Actually had forgotten there was a range there. I’ve been a member at Smithfield Sportsmen for almost 40 years now. Was a member at Stony Brook also.
Shoot on average twice a week, percussion revolvers with an occasional break for rim or center hand guns.

Back