• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Firing the ramrod down range.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Was standing talking to a gentleman and out of the corner of my eye i see a target frame i built break down. I then hear "i just shot my ramrod. Oh my god!" Yep, found 3 of the 4 pieces and repaired the target frame. This was 3 months ago. He still hears about each match.

I have witnessed one ram rod sent down range. N-SSA match in Winchester. Rapid fire match. Much recoil, much noise, target was missed. Not recommended.

ADK Bigfoot

Part of the N-SSA lore is the team that decided to all shoot their ramrods in a volley at the sound of the horn. Positively wrecked the pigeon board.

One can almost picture it Load, fire, walk out, retrieve ramrod,load,fire repeat. 😂 Wonder if they were sticking out of the target.
Actually I think it was more, load, fire, search,
search,
search,
....guys back up on the line are getting impatient,
search,
AH HA, walk back, and start loading procedure for next shot.....

LD

Yes, I did shoot a ramrod out of my squirrel rifle :)

There is even a thread on this forum where I have some photos of the replacement I made.

It wasn't with a full load. Just few grains. It was years ago when I was quite new to the sport. I had a tight patch on a permanently installed ramrod jag stuck all the way down the bore. Also I broke the top of the ramrod trying to pull it out.

So eventually, I took the nipple out. I poured few grains of power into the hole tapping my hand on the side of the barrel so it funneled into the bore. Then the nipple was put in and the ramrod was shot out. It broke in half. I don't remember if I hit the target with it :)

The rifle is fine BTW. It has been one if my most accurate rifles.

Also few months ago I was at the range and a new shooter got his ramrod stuck exactly like I did back then (including broken top). Unfortunately, he managed to do it on top of a loaded charge. He said he'll take the gun to a gunsmith.

I have shot one, I have seen 3 others shot. One of those the guy had an original rifle with a false muzzle. He left that false muzzle on there also. He found the ramrod in two pieces, never did find the false muzzle. Never saw him at our range again. When you shoot a ramrod out, you know something wasn't right because there is a significant kick.

Clark Gable shot a ramrod in a mountain man flick, as did Charlton Heston or Brian Keith in “Mountain Men”. In real life, getting distracted during loading has caused 2 or 3 rods to be sent downrange at clubs I’ve shot with. Ballistics are expectedly lousy but the rods can penetrate plywood backers, and metal (CW) rods can get turned into corkscrews. Felt recoil is reportedly unpleasant.

I witnessed a friend shoot a ramrod out of a .45 caliber CVA Kentucky rifle. We were shooting BP at the river one day, shooting at mussel shells on the opposite bank. My friend proceeds to load up, aim and fire. We were both perplexed by the unusual splash in the water about half-way across the river. Until he went to reload - we figured out pretty quick what caused the splash. Fortunately, the river was low and slow that day so we could retrieve the wood ramrod. I’m really surprised the rod didn’t break. It must have been solid against the ball when he touched it off.

Mining the clubs 25 yard back stop for lead a few years back. Found several pieces of ram rod including the jag tip embedded in the dirt.
Fired from a gun??
Is that possible or would any one actually admit to it.
I’ve dry balled a few long guns and revolver cylinders, distraction pulled my attention away from what I was doing. But firing a ram rod. ??
The guy is probably still trying to figure out how he lost a ram rod.
Lol

The guy is probably still trying to figure out how he lost a ram rod.
Lol
Many years ago, a re-enactor at F&I war event (somewhere in NY state) supposedly shot an “Indian”, in the leg with a steel ramrod from a Bess. The guy who told me the story was only upset because the idiot “ruined the event”, when it got subsequently shut down.

Didn't one of the fellas in the movie "Mountain Men" kill an "Injun" with a ramrod? I mean, I know that was a movie, but I bet in the heat of battle more than one ramrod got launched at velocity! Thinking I would not want to be down range of it either!

Similar to multiple balls being loaded and not a shot fired.

Things happen.

RM
I believe it was Clark Gable who fired his ramrod in "Across the Wide Missouri". It's pure Hollywood of course since he was reloading and hadn't primed the rifle thus rendering it un-fireable..

Back