• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Fireworks Powder

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
In one of the Patrick O'Brian books Cpt. Aubrey buys fireworks powder for his ship's guns. Don't remember why and it doesn't matter.
In the book the guns' projectiles are accompanied by muzzle blast in various bright colors. I recently acquired a small cannon and of course I am wondering about this.
Are there chemicals, and if so, which ones could I use to do this?

Search you tube home made fireworks and you'll find all kinds of interesting information. these folks will spend an hour or more making a firework that goes up in 10 seconds.

In one of the Patrick O'Brian books Cpt. Aubrey buys fireworks powder for his ship's guns. Don't remember why and it doesn't matter.

Are there chemicals, and if so, which ones could I use to do this?

I remember the novel, and he bought the powder because he could find a person with powder to sell. There was a shortage, and he needed extra to train his gun crews. (iirc) A ship with well trained gun crews that is outmatched "on paper" will defeat the opponent with good sailing and excellent gunnery. ;) Also (iirc) I think the guns would belch red, green, or blue instead of yellow as a result of the powder he used.

Anyway here's a website with a chart. Metal Salts are added to the gun powder for the color effect. Fireworks Vibrant Colors

Here's just the Color Chart

LD

I remember the novel, and he bought the powder because he could find a person with powder to sell. There was a shortage, and he needed extra to train his gun crews. (iirc) A ship with well trained gun crews that is outmatched "on paper" will defeat the opponent with good sailing and excellent gunnery. ;) Also (iirc) I think the guns would belch red, green, or blue instead of yellow as a result of the powder he used.

Anyway here's a website with a chart. Metal Salts are added to the gun powder for the color effect. Fireworks Vibrant Colors

Here's just the Color Chart

LD
Thank you!
And you are exactly right about the importance of proficiency. Which importance extends far beyond the ship's deck and the time of the Napoleonic wars.

There is a CW reenactment here that does a night time cannon shoot.
Their is a lot of color in the discharge...I have been told it's fireworks in the barrel, but don't know any details

Back